Author Topic: LEJOG record attempt.  (Read 32397 times)

Re: LEJOG record attempt.
« Reply #150 on: 05 December, 2018, 03:53:45 pm »
Yeah, the interview is really good.  It's on the Cycling Podcast - Explore sub-brand, rather than the regular cycling podcast, though I get it through the same url.
NB - Michael Broadwith didn't actually say "never again" - he seemed like he actually thought he could go faster...

« Reply #151 on: 05 December, 2018, 03:56:51 pm »
That's a good interview with Michael, and with Gethin. It covers some of the themes that I'm interested in. The relationship between adventure and social media, and the contrast between the lone adventurer and the spearhead of a team effort.

The extreme example of that is encapsulated in the U2 song 'Beautiful Day', which mentions the fires of the Bedouins in the desert being visible to astronauts in space. Both are in an extreme environment, and can see each other, but one is self-supporting, while the other depends on a huge support apparatus. It's nice that Michael mentions Steve Abraham, who did more unsupported riding in the course of year than anyone.

« Reply #152 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:38:36 pm »
More refining of my project on Michael Broadwith's Lands End to John O' Groats cycling record. There's probably a film to be made about long-distance cycling in general, Shermer's neck and tinned tomato soup. This video is 13 minutes odd, and is in full HD, if your Broadband has the bandwidth, otherwise let if buffer for the full effect.

It reminds me that it is possible to film with three cameras at once, but it becomes more difficult as sleep deprivation kicks in, and the drone comes under attack from fireworks.
Comments on how to make the film more understandable are welcome, it is a work in progress.

« Reply #153 on: 13 January, 2019, 06:32:02 pm »
Thanks Damon! It's very beautiful already.

« Reply #154 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:54:42 pm »
Brilliant film.  A great record and commentary of the endeavour

« Reply #155 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:54:45 am »
Further research reveals that there's never been a female tandem record, although there is a standard of 3 days 12 hours to be beaten. That might be a nice project for someone.

It occurred to me that two LEJOG record holders have ridden PBP, Gethin Butler in 2003, and Hubert Opperman in 1931, who won PBP in a sprint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nRj_tPvZk

Opperman did LEJOG in 1934, and inspired a board game.
http://www.cyclingboardgames.net/g_landsend.htm

So a 'Blue Sky' project for me would be Michael Broadwith riding PBP, aiming to beat 'Oppy's time.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #156 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:29:20 pm »
So a 'Blue Sky' project for me would be Michael Broadwith riding PBP, aiming to beat 'Oppy's time.

from what i've read in the pbp rules, there has been a small amendment as they will not homologate if the finishing time is less than xx:xx hours (28kph overall average). so for the really fast ones, if they are ahead of time, they could have a lie-down/nap/beer just before crossing the finish line.

« Reply #157 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:43:33 pm »
If I was able to get round pbp at 28.01kph I would not give a stuff about homologation!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #158 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:47:30 pm »
I love that game: you can collide with two cars, a sheep, a dog and a motorcycle!  That is some seriously sleep-deprived riding!

from what i've read in the pbp rules, there has been a small amendment as they will not homologate if the finishing time is less than xx:xx hours (28kph overall average). so for the really fast ones, if they are ahead of time, they could have a lie-down/nap/beer just before crossing the finish line.

I think I'd prefer to be the man who was too fast for PBP.  That very much comes under 'nice problems to have' though.

« Reply #159 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:55:10 pm »

They open the arrivee when the first group A riders have turned up at 28kph average. That means that later Vedette groups can record a faster time over the mat. That time won't be homologated, but will be visible online. An organised group from the later 80 hour starts could target that scenario.

Opperman's time was 49 Hours 23 minutes, which stands close to the AUK record, and is within 28kph. So there's a cascading series of targets, faster than 28kph from a late 80 hour group, 28kph, the AUK record and Oppy's time. Broadwith's average on LEJOG was 31.28 kph.

rob

« Reply #160 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »
So take away the ability to ride a full-on TT bike and have roadside support.   Add the ability to ride in groups and co-operate.

Would the average speed be lower or higher ?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #161 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:12:38 pm »
average rolling speed would be similar (we were rolling at 35kph for the first 300k, iirc), but much more time spent at controls during pbp.

« Reply #162 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:13:50 pm »
So take away the ability to ride a full-on TT bike and have roadside support.   Add the ability to ride in groups and co-operate.

Would the average speed be lower or higher ?

The problem for testers is that they like to climb at their own speed.  Broadwith would exceed his power limits attempting to keep with a group of roadies. So the logical approach would be to form a team of 500 mile plus 24 hour riders, but then the problem is co-ordinating sleep patterns.

rob

« Reply #163 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:37:01 pm »
I think the crossover between PBP and 24hr testing is not necessary a natural one.   I think PBP isn't really on the radar for them and there's only a handful of people that ride long TTs and Audax.

In recent times I can think of Gethin, Warnock and Hippy having a go.   Gethin did a decent ride but, IIRC, couldn't get away in the A group.   Warnock broke his front wheel in 2011 and hasn't been back.   Hippy tried it out last time but not everything worked OK so I think he's going back this year.

I'm not sure that it's quite the same discipline.   As Mike pointed out in his last interview he really didn't have to think during the End-to-End attempt as his crew were running things - he just had to ride.   I know that's an oversimplification but running in and out of checkpoints, filling bottles an grabbing food makes it into a different experience.

« Reply #164 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:45:14 pm »
I think the crossover between PBP and 24hr testing is not necessary a natural one.   I think PBP isn't really on the radar for them and there's only a handful of people that ride long TTs and Audax.

In recent times I can think of Gethin, Warnock and Hippy having a go.   Gethin did a decent ride but, IIRC, couldn't get away in the A group.   Warnock broke his front wheel in 2011 and hasn't been back.   Hippy tried it out last time but not everything worked OK so I think he's going back this year.

I'm not sure that it's quite the same discipline.   As Mike pointed out in his last interview he really didn't have to think during the End-to-End attempt as his crew were running things - he just had to ride.   I know that's an oversimplification but running in and out of checkpoints, filling bottles an grabbing food makes it into a different experience.

Ultan Coyle is another of the 500+ riders who have done PBP. George Berwick was one of the earlier winners to ride PBP. Then there's lots of 'evens' 24 riders such as Simon Bever or Zigzag, and Sheila Simpson of course.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #165 on: 17 January, 2019, 02:08:54 pm »
<...> but then the problem is co-ordinating sleep patterns.

this would be easy as no-one aiming for a fast time is planning to sleep (two days without sleep is bearable, if unhealthy)..

i'd like to know what has the winner of the first pbp consumed to stay awake for more than  t h r e e  days in a row! :)

« Reply #166 on: 17 January, 2019, 02:55:46 pm »
Hippy tried it out last time but not everything worked OK so I think he's going back this year.

He may come and answer for himself but he was only going to do it as a post-TCR tour jolly with his partner.  I think he's since decided to do another ultra in Spain instead

« Reply #167 on: 17 January, 2019, 02:59:26 pm »
I'm not sure that it's quite the same discipline.   

I would agree with that.  Last time, having done it once with no expectations and done a decent ride, I was targeting a faster time.  Once it was underway I realised I had missed the point by approaching it as a TT.  I'd ridden conservatively at the start, to pace myself, missed the groups and ended up riding a long way on my own - a basic fail!

« Reply #168 on: 17 January, 2019, 03:01:36 pm »
The other person who springs to mind is John Barkman, who I think did the 24 the year after his UK PBP record.  I thought he would do well.  He didn't do badly but was not near the podium

« Reply #169 on: 17 January, 2019, 03:03:38 pm »
average rolling speed would be similar (we were rolling at 35kph for the first 300k, iirc), but much more time spent at controls during pbp.

That's faster than all but the very strongest long-distance TTers would achieve over rolling single-carriageway terrain (even allowing a bit for smoother French tarmac)

« Reply #170 on: 17 January, 2019, 04:39:07 pm »
I'm largely thinking of what would make a good film subject. Michael does good interviews, he likes to get his friends and family involved in support, and I've got lots of back story.

His lack of a pre-qualifier last year is probably a stumbling block. The connections with Oppy and Gethin would be an obvious introduction to the story.

« Reply #171 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:01:01 pm »
Biggest challenge is that I doubt he'd want to do it. Certainly the qualifiers don't fit what he does

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #172 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:23:29 pm »
<...> but then the problem is co-ordinating sleep patterns.

this would be easy as no-one aiming for a fast time is planning to sleep (two days without sleep is bearable, if unhealthy)..

i'd like to know what has the winner of the first pbp consumed to stay awake for more than  t h r e e  days in a row! :)
"Pot Belge" sounds like pretty awesome stuff.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #173 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:04:48 pm »
Biggest challenge is that I doubt he'd want to do it. Certainly the qualifiers don't fit what he does
2 short days and 2 long days out on the bike? Useful shakedowns, shirley!  ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #174 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:26:20 pm »

It occurred to me that two LEJOG record holders have ridden PBP, Gethin Butler in 2003, and Hubert Opperman in 1931, who won PBP in a sprint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nRj_tPvZk

Also Jane Moore, LEJOG trike record holder has completed PBP twice.

She`ll be ACME`s secret weapon on this years PBP, leading to the finish at 28km/hr.