Author Topic: Thinking about a new bike  (Read 4148 times)

Thinking about a new bike
« on: 15 July, 2018, 06:12:14 pm »
I am 63 and getting back into cycling. My current bike is a Specilised Roubaix some 15+ years old now so the anti vibration aspect is probably pretty well shot.

I have issues with my neck with drop bars now and with vibration in general hence the current bike so.... speed is not a factor for me as even when I was reasonably fit some 20 years ago the best I ever managed was just shy of 20mph per hour so I am a genuine tortoise in that respect and 20 years on VERY unlikely to best it. LOL

I am thinking I could do with something new. It don't have to be brand new as in current but up to date would be good. Previously I saved considerably by buying the previous years model and am happy to do that again.

I am happy to spend up to £3k for the right machine.

Thoughts please apart from give up....lol

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Re: Thinking about a new bike
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2018, 06:51:08 pm »
What sort of riding are you hoping to do? From the way you are describing it, a steel flat bar bike on wide tyres might fit the bill, and £1,500 should get you summat right nice.

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:03:33 pm »
No vibration problems with Moultons, and easier to get your leg over with no crossbar  :)

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »
Have a look at what you can get from Trek in the Domane range.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »
Find a bike you like and one that fits.

No vibration problems with Moultons, and easier to get your leg over with no crossbar  :)

Oh you little tease, i looked at a double pylon a while back.

Oh and if anyone buys me one, I'll do PBP and LEL.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:21:59 am »
A Moulton TSR works just fine for PBP and LEL.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:01:11 pm »
no reason why you can't still have dropped bars; they can just be set higher/closer than normal, as your preference dictates.  If the idea of suspension doesn't appeal (and NB it doesn't filter out all forms of vibration, the tyres still do the rest) then you can get some fat, comfy, and fast-rolling tyres these days, provided you buy a frame that will accept them.

One suggestion is to look at a Spa cycles touring machine; these are not difficult to set up with high bars and fitted with the right tyres they are pretty comfy too. They do a version with a Ti frame that -if suitably equipped- is not heavy either.

cheers

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:16:01 pm »
I spent a little time on Saturday at a LBS, trying out two bikes. They passed my credit card through their reader in case I went off with one of their bikes, but that was the total of faffage.

They didn't have everything in my size, but the two I tried gave me a reasonable idea of what there is available in carbon for £1k. The manager explained that he's expecting new brands in soon and invited me to come back in a few weeks when the range is broader.

There are worse ways to spend time and find what suits you.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2018, 06:19:32 pm »
Thanks everyone and to the movers as I really wasn't sure where to post.

I am an hour from Edinburgh so there are at least 4 shops there to look through google suggests.

What kind of riding is a good question? I don't like being offroad at all, preferring to pootle along quiet back roads of which here in the Scottish Borders we have plenty of. I am not a speed freak by any means and am really wanting to get up to say 50 to 80 miles in a day as part of my weight loss campaign. (24 lbs so far and another 24 in the sights)

PH

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »
Back road pootling and 50 miles per day, may I suggest an e-bike.

With a 17ah battery you wouldn't have to worry about covering that range on a full charge, put more effort in and use less e-assistance and you could stretch your range to 80 without difficulty.

No. It isn't cheating. Ask Cycleman.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2018, 06:52:05 pm »
Less than optimally effective as part of a weight loss campaign, thobut.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2018, 07:09:14 pm »
I am an hour from Edinburgh so there are at least 4 shops there to look through google suggests.

PH
Excellent. Phone them at a quiet time ( no idea really but I want to say Wednesday morning) and tell them what you’ve told us, see what they say and - if it sounds worthwhile - try to set up an appointment, or at least a day and make a day of it..
The manager at my local Cycle Republic treated it like one of those house-buying shows and threw in a left field suggestion. It was a bit too expensive left field for me, but I appreciated the gesture.
Good luck but - more importantly - enjoy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:45:59 pm »
Back road pootling and 50 miles per day, may I suggest an e-bike.

With a 17ah battery you wouldn't have to worry about covering that range on a full charge, put more effort in and use less e-assistance and you could stretch your range to 80 without difficulty.

No. It isn't cheating. Ask Cycleman.

Big tyres. 35s. Try them and enjoy the comfort.

Thinking about a new bike
« Reply #13 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:26:49 pm »
I’ll just put it out there as I rode one the other day- a Pendersen??  One slogan for them - “instead of trying to make your bike comfortable, buy a comfortable bike”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:28:07 pm »
I’ll just put it out there as I rode one the other day- a Pendersen??  One slogan for them - “instead of trying to make your bike comfortable, buy a comfortable bike”

On that basis, a visit to Laid Back...  https://www.laid-back-bikes.scot/

« Reply #15 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:27:51 am »
The latest Roubaix is great. Tall up front and comfortable.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LFCC

Paul

« Reply #16 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:00:14 pm »
This has suspension in the steerer/stem.

« Reply #17 on: 18 July, 2018, 12:07:17 am »
I think a good transition from the Roubaix in terms of comfort and wider tyres is the GT Grade.  In it's CF form the Grade with 32mm tyres is a stupendously plush ride.  The only annoyance is that the alu steerer comes cut short but fortunately the geometry is generous enough to accommodate a high rise stem without any detriment to the handing.   

Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #18 on: 18 July, 2018, 09:16:24 am »
If you have any interest in local produce then you might find a Shand Stoater to be a comfortable bike that’s in your price range.

« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
Call me a numpty but I experienced a very good speed increase by going from 28 to 23 tyres. Is it possible to get the same speed with wider tyres now?

Also given my chronic unfitness I really need a triple.

PH

« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2018, 01:36:58 pm »
if the road is billiard table smooth, 23s are faster. They are more aerodynamic, too. But in the real world, on normal roads, at modest speeds, good 28s (which unlike a couple of decades ago, you can buy) roll more easily and you will be both  comfier and faster.

The rougher the surface, the fatter the tyres that are likely to suit best, so plenty of folk in the UK who have 'third world' standard tarmac locally  have taken to riding on 38mm tyres as standard. I think they are perhaps slower during fierce out of the saddle efforts, but I'm less inclined to those these days so if it is the case,  it matters less....

cheers

« Reply #21 on: 18 July, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »
Call me a numpty but I experienced a very good speed increase by going from 28 to 23 tyres. Is it possible to get the same speed with wider tyres now?

Also given my chronic unfitness I really need a triple.
I think that you will find that a modern pair of 28-32 tyres at 80psi will be so comfortable that they will feel faster even if not.

I would suggest tubeless tyres with the new finish line sealant which is CO2 compatible and therefore short of a total destruction will get you home and the new Schwalbe tubeless are very fast.

Which bike will have a hundred different responses.  I have the trek Domane ultegra Di2 disc in the 2017 model.  I do not foresee buying another bike and I have used it all year round.  in its favour is its weight and that it is designed for rough roads with the adjustable isospeed.  i rarely change it but if I was doing an off road section i would have the ability to do so and when I go to tenerife in the Autumn I will probably adjust it for the better roads.  It is not a faux racing machine and the handlebars sit fairly high.  An adjustable stem could sit you even higher.

one big advantage is the bontrager mudguards.  They are superbly made, designed specifically for the trek bikes and keep my bum dry at all times.  I cannot be bothered to take them off and they have been on continuously for 18 months.

« Reply #22 on: 18 July, 2018, 03:32:27 pm »
You are all bad, bad people. I just looked at the Shand Stoater. With a Rohloff bely drive... and S&S coupleings, so it will fit into my MX5.
Ooooh...  Only question is which colour?

Seriously - tha tlooks a lovely bike, and the Rohloff looks a great solution.

« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2018, 10:19:32 am »
I liked it too but its a double from what I could see.

PH

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2018, 11:27:41 am »
I have a Roubaix SL4 2014 triple which sounds perfect for you i as it has a tall front end and triple chainset , but not smack bang up to date as theres a new model out and Im pretty sure they dont now do a triple.,  but would also suggest looking at touring bikes,  which although they tend to be heavier are very much more upright and quite a few still have MTB triples fitted,  although even here theres a trend towards compact doubles with big rear cassettes.
 My Salsa Marrakesh, which is a touring bike,  has a Deore triple and quite a big cassette which gives   something like a 20" bottom gear which would allow me to ride up a vertical wall probably!  It also has 38mm tyres so is every so plush riding, its not light but hides it well and is a comfortable position.  If you arent bothered about speed you could do a lot worse. I love mine.

Or could you get a frame that suits and have it built up with gearing you want?