Author Topic: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?  (Read 36182 times)

Phil W

Re: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?
« Reply #100 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:21:25 pm »
Hopefully accessible some time next week. Haven't been able to do any more work on it this week. Good work on the rest of the perm data. 

Phil W

« Reply #101 on: 26 September, 2018, 07:02:26 pm »
Bit more work converting proof of concepts into self contained components that you can compose to form the whole. Also ensuring it places nice on mobile / tablets. Plus some geocoding of the new perm control information that has been added by others.  Bit busy with real life but getting there.

« Reply #102 on: 26 September, 2018, 09:32:51 pm »
Where/how do we access this map?

Did you find out?
I have no idea either.  OP makes mention of FB but can't find any trace of it there either.

Phil W

« Reply #103 on: 26 September, 2018, 10:29:08 pm »
Where/how do we access this map?

Did you find out?
I have no idea either.  OP makes mention of FB but can't find any trace of it there either.

Probably about another week till I share its web address. Got a 400 DIY this weekend then should finish off the final bits. About three things to complete then we are there.

« Reply #104 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:29:25 pm »
Thank you, Phil. Sorry to find so many 'new' controls for you to geocode.
Applecross
Argenton
Ashbourne
Brest
Chateaulin
Crowland
Eyam
Gainsbrough
Howden
Kerlouan
Mere
Netheravon
Parwich
Plougenvelin
Ramsbury
Retford
Sutton-On-Sea
Tutbury
Uttoxeter

Phil W

« Reply #105 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:28:52 pm »
No worries about new controls.  I will run with my data extract of yesterday for now.

Clicking on a control now adds all the events that pass through that control to the top of your list of events. Clicking on an event adds it to the top of your list of events (deduplicating events in the list in both cases)   Clicking the X next to an event removes it from the list.  Your list of events is now persisted across browser sessions.  You can collapse / expand the Events and Filters sections on the menu.

Next is to activate the distance filtering and to show the event detail when you click on an event in the list.  They are two sides of the same coin as they both need to update the map view.   So will tackle these together next week.    Then I think we are ready for launch.

« Reply #106 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:46:55 pm »
Is that Phase I done? Are you going to be sending in the bill soon?

;) <---- a smiley
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Phil W

« Reply #107 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:29:27 pm »
I am going to have to put it behind a Paywall, sure you understand. ;D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #108 on: 28 September, 2018, 01:20:54 am »
Updated the George Berwick ones today, went to visit him today as doing this has got me very interested in riding his 400, 600 and 1500!!!

Phil W

« Reply #109 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:05:44 am »
That's the thing isn't it?  It is revealing a whole new set of perms that pass by that I had no idea about.  Some of the grand tours look great.

Phil W

« Reply #110 on: 28 September, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »
Almost there, one last bit to do, around event detail, which will now be next week.  Distance filters and zooming to a selected event now wired up.

« Reply #111 on: 28 September, 2018, 03:13:47 pm »
Looks excellent. Any plans to a similar thing for calendar events?

I realise the time dimension adds to the complexity. Also you won't be able to start/finish at any of the intermediate controls, but it's still nice to see where a ride goes rather than having to guess...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #112 on: 28 September, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »
It's probably less critical for the Calendar because 1) on average they have more information on Aukweb than the Perms and often a supporting YACF thread; 2) more people ride them so it's easier to find Strava or RideWithGPS logs from previous years.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Phil W

« Reply #113 on: 28 September, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »
The event data is pluggable if that makes sense.  The idea is that in the future by swapping out a single module the data could be provided through consuming a backend API.  So if we had the calendar data in the same format (extra data such as dates doesn't matter as the mapping consumes JSON) then it could be plugged straight in.

« Reply #114 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »
The current map attached to the aukweb calendar is good, but what's missing is to see where the rides go.

I normally look at that with two questions in mind:-

a) I've got a specific weekend free, where are there rides (and what length are they) on those specific dates

b) I'd like to see where all of the local-ish rides in the next N months so I can see if I can plan ahead and book those in.

The existing site does do this, but it doesn't show me where the rides go like your new shiny stuff does for perms. If there are 20 or so different rides that meet my criteria I've got to do a lot of clicking through to the individual events to see if one of them grabs my fancy.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #115 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:49:06 pm »
That's the thing isn't it?  It is revealing a whole new set of perms that pass by that I had no idea about.  Some of the grand tours look great.

Yes, I discovered the Scottish Star allows for a minimum of 200km a day for 13 days;
and the Round the coast requires 240km a day so just under 9 and a half days.
Which makes them both rather doable as light touring despite their 2000km+ distance.
Careful planning on RWGPS will also let you avoid the busier roads in most places on them too, and going anti-clockwise means most of the NC500 traffic is oncoming.

What's more the control locations are mostly well spread so I've been plotting away in RWGPS for them and working out more palatable routes than the direct option, and if you are willing to put a bit of night riding into them too (so give yourself a couple of tougher days) you can avoid the A82 sections at its worst.

I've just printed off entry forms and written cheques (for the first time in 4 and a half years!) for myself and another rider to do the Kingdom Come as an early winter challenge.

« Reply #116 on: 29 September, 2018, 09:31:30 pm »
Sleuthing has revealed Oliver Wright's routes (OW01 and OW02), roughly - updated.
And I've had a good guess at Tom Hanley's ones (TH01-04)

Phil W

« Reply #117 on: 30 September, 2018, 03:02:32 pm »
The Scottish star does indeed look like a star when you plot straight lines between sequenced controls on the map.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #118 on: 30 September, 2018, 03:59:37 pm »
The Scottish star does indeed look like a star when you plot straight lines between sequenced controls on the map.

I've done a rough bash at it in RWGPS as well; basically set it to walking and put in both the control points and the suggested waypoints
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28690601

You get to do it at 200km a day

For me I think that one has a bit too much futility in it!
Round the Coast looks quite interesting: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28682509
You get 240km a day on that; which seems pretty doable if you build up to it.

And the Eightsome Reel looks pretty decent https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28682272
You need to maintain 12kmh on that one; which fits with the 300km a day described in the report on here a few years ago.

None of those RWGPS routes are suitable for following

Not too sure how you get proof of passage at Lighthouses these days as the NLB is fully automated, but George talked of the NLB keepers treating him to tea and cakes!

I also like how on the info sheets the "Things to watch for"
All of them say "Traffic, Animals, Midges and Day Dreaming"
Except for the Twilight 600 which tells you to watch for "Traffic, Animals, Midges and Night Dreaming"
 ;)

Phil W

« Reply #119 on: 30 September, 2018, 04:51:19 pm »
We had light house controls on WAWA 16.  (Because basically every west coast headland jutting out in the Atlantic that had a road on it, you rode to the end). You got a selfie in front. Some of them had plaques on them from which you found the answer to a Q on your brevet.

Phil W

« Reply #120 on: 01 October, 2018, 05:37:47 pm »
Pretty much ready to go prime time tomorrow. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #121 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:46:33 pm »
Is that still off an old dataset; notice a few of the rides and controls I added last week aren't showing.
(Mostly round the coast and the eight some reel)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #122 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:50:33 pm »
Brilliant, brilliant work, Phil and Fifeing.
Have spotted a correction and have sent this by PM rather than clutter up the forum.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #123 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:56:26 pm »
Fantastic work.

It is easy to spot errors now though, noticed quite a few.

Will you still be updating from the original spreadsheet linked at the beginning of this thread?

Phil W

« Reply #124 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »
Is that still off an old dataset; notice a few of the rides and controls I added last week aren't showing.
(Mostly round the coast and the eight some reel)

Yeah I tend not to pull fresh data whilst the code is in flux. Then I know any errors are down to code changes I have made and not changes in data as well.    Code should remain stable for a bit now. So we can concentrate on any errors  in the geocoding / control locations etc.