Author Topic: Mobile data dongle with a chromebook  (Read 2862 times)

Mobile data dongle with a chromebook
« on: 19 September, 2018, 02:32:50 pm »
Preferably that can be used with a plan where the data allowance can be kept/doesn't expire quickly.

Am looking for one I can use with an Acer chromebook 11 which does have USB inputs.

Anyone had any practical success/can recommend anything?

Will be using when touring for those times when (in the UK) I can't lurk in a wetherspoons and use their free wifi.

Also for buying tickets and the like as it should avoid the bother and expense of a VPN.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Mobile data dongle with a chromebook
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »
Have you got a dongle? 

Think dongles are usually 3g not 4g tho.  I have a french sfr one that you can have as I doubt I will ever use it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:48:21 pm »
Tether to your phone?
Though that depends on the data costs for your phone tariff.

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »
Have you got a dongle? 

Think dongles are usually 3g not 4g tho.  I have a french sfr one that you can have as I doubt I will ever use it.

No, haven't got a dongle at the mo - am trying to figure out which ones may work with the chromebook - initial research seems to suggest that only certain ones might.

Should I be concerned about 3G or 4G

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2018, 05:10:47 pm »
Tether to your phone?
Though that depends on the data costs for your phone tariff.

Am trying to avoid this route for various reasons.

Believe it or not, I don't use a smartphone despite having a tech background. One (OK two) dumbphones, one android tab, two chromebooks - last 3 all synced - I like being unconnected a fair bit - connected at the mo from Tate Modern.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2018, 07:16:36 pm »
Have you got a dongle? 

No, haven't got a dongle at the mo - am trying to figure out which ones may work with the chromebook - initial research seems to suggest that only certain ones might.

Should I be concerned about 3G or 4G

Er, 4g is faster.

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2018, 10:34:35 pm »
Not a big issue for me gatto - more interested in something that works/connects.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2018, 11:12:19 pm »
You don't necessarily need a smartphone. It is possible to tether to a dumbphone, if it has Bluetooth. Or possibly using a USB cable. Though would depend on whether the phone supports 3G/4G as to how fast it is.

If you want something separate, I'd get a 4G wifi hotspot. Then that should work with the Chromebook, without needing any special drivers etc.

For tariffs, maybe O2 PAYG? It is 1p per megabyte, not too expensive for light usage, no need to buy monthly bundles etc.

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2018, 12:22:30 am »
I have one of these sims (in my second phone) that gives 200 MB free a month with no top ups:
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I don't think I've ever topped mine up.

« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:11:18 am »
Slightly more flexible than a dongle (plugged into your laptop) is a mifi / mobile modem. These allow several devices to connect through the same device. I know you haven't got a smartphone, but you could use both the chromebook and a phone at the same time.
I also use the Three sim with the free 200mb and have only ever put £2 on it.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:50:37 am »
I have one of these sims (in my second phone) that gives 200 MB free a month with no top ups:

Not sure I understand this. Free stuff every month, albeit limited? Do you need to have some form of other contract/relationship with 3?

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:22:41 am »
None whatsoever. Just checked and it’s still working. I’ve had it since 2013 apparently.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2018, 02:56:27 pm »
Cards are easily ordered from 3 and are free too.

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2018, 02:51:11 pm »
None whatsoever. Just checked and it’s still working. I’ve had it since 2013 apparently.

Have acquired an old unlocked smartphone and ordered one of these cards - this should be interesting - many thanks for the tip.

Don't intend to use the phone as a phone.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2018, 06:33:17 pm »

Not sure I understand this. Free stuff every month, albeit limited? Do you need to have some form of other contract/relationship with 3?

Looks like the main difference between this and their regular PAYG offering is that you can't buy data in the useful smaller quantities  (£5 for 500MB, 50p for 125MB (expiring after a day)), so presumably they tempt you with free stuff, then when you want more you've got to plonk a tenner on it.

Seems like a good deal if you're using very small amounts, or occasional large amounts.