Author Topic: Automotive wiring crimps  (Read 1159 times)

Automotive wiring crimps
« on: 28 October, 2018, 01:51:13 pm »
Any reason not to use the above on mains wiring - as opposed to using a lego brick connector?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Automotive wiring crimps
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2018, 01:56:11 pm »
They are shite on 12v.

Use these   there are more brands than wago.

How many do you need as I have quite a few.

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2018, 02:09:31 pm »
This is the sort of crimp I have in mind - old skool - probably with some additional electrician's tape around the splice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
With a decent crimper I'd trust those more than choc-blocks (even the good ones with the metal bit between the cable and the screw).  If they're good enough for automotive 12V they should be fine for mains.  Make sure it's the right size crimp for the cable diameter.

Agree that Wago connectors are lovely.

The main rule with fixed mains wiring is that such connections should be accessible for inspection, not buried under plaster or whatever.

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2018, 03:11:07 pm »
Ta.
Job done. I now have under-desk (LED) lighting. So useful when the need arises to delve amidst the spaghetti nest / Hydra of cables....
I've a several of HD crimp tools knocking around from my days as an AA patrolman.

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:11:26 pm »
I think the issue with those crimps and mains voltage is that the insulation isn't rated for 240V. Keep your wires separated.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2018, 04:24:33 pm »
I have seen them with a 600V rating, but you very rarely see them with insulation ratings.

Mind you, the same goes for choc-blocks.   :-\