Author Topic: Removing the safety valve in a stove top moka pot  (Read 14278 times)

Re: Removing the safety valve in a stove top moka pot
« Reply #25 on: 27 November, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »
Just checked my Bialetti Brikka and if I hold it in my right hand the safety valve is at the back pointing away from me.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 27 November, 2018, 09:32:14 pm »
Hmm.  SO has two Bialetti moka pots and the valve always points towards me on both.  It's not a 2-start thread as far as I know.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 27 November, 2018, 10:30:29 pm »
just looked at multiple images of Moka Bialetti online and the valve positioning seems pretty random to me. However the least common position is right beneath the handle; it could well be that this is avoided by the manufacturers because it makes it difficult to remove it from a hob without scalding if the pressure relief valve is blowing steam.

It seems to me that variations in seal thickness/wear might account for +/- ~1/4 turn or so.

cheers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #28 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:36:19 pm »
Coming back to this, Have never had a valve fail on a pot.  Suspect I have a pot that is so old that doesn't have a safety valve.

I can't see that there is a problem as if you have the right grind and don't tamp the grinds, the screen is clear, the seal is good and the tube is clear then how is there an issue.  Stuck a bolt in and stuck the pot on the stove.  The valve has failed so openes and doesn't build enough pressure to force the water past the weighed top to make the creama.

Now to get a new valve, or might try an find a new o ring, as finding a new valve in the UK might be difficult and or very expensive.  Postage being more than the valve.

Also there is no way to know if a valve has failed to closed rather than open....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:40:33 am »
Hmm.  SO has two Bialetti moka pots and the valve always points towards me on both.  It's not a 2-start thread as far as I know.

Good way to ensure that you notice when it fails.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:46:49 am »
This thread prompted me to check all the valves on mine and SO's moka pots.  The cheap Waitrose knock-offs I have can be tested by pushing the ball from the inside, while Bialetti valves can be pulled from the outside with fingernails.  Anyway, they all work fine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #31 on: 16 February, 2021, 12:38:16 pm »
Having got another valve, what I thought was a brikka valve but the thread is slightly different.

Bugger.

« Reply #32 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:22:17 am »
We don't have these problems with tea making ;)
*steps rapidly backwards after lighting blue touch paper*