Author Topic: Is it wrong to just own one bike  (Read 13714 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Is it wrong to just own one bike
« Reply #75 on: 22 November, 2018, 12:25:01 pm »
Is it wrong to own just one bike watch?
There, I've said it - phew!

I haven't owned a watch in nearly 2 decades...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #76 on: 22 November, 2018, 12:38:37 pm »
If you own several bikes there's going to be one you enjoy riding the most.
Is there? Might apply to you, but it's a huge assumption that it applies to everyone.
There's nothing unusual about only having one bike, that's all most people have.  Most enthusiasts end up with more kit than they strictly need, that's what hobbies are about.  The OP has a new titanium Rilley, does anyone think they needed it?  That they couldn't have done all their riding on something a quarter of the price?   What's the difference between buying more bike than you need and more bikes?  I'd prefer the latter, because I like the differences and enjoy some rides on one bike more than another.  I could do all my riding on one, though not without compromise, it'd have to be the folder because sometimes it's needed and although I like it, it's not usually the bike I enjoy riding the most. 

« Reply #77 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:10:28 pm »
And even if there is one bike you like riding, it might not be the best (or a sensible) tool for the job. I like riding my fixie.  It's useless on club rides, or off road, or if I need to carry stuff, or if I need to get it in the boot. And if you look at all those scenarios, I can't think of anything that matches all of them either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:17:57 pm »
If you own several bikes there's going to be one you enjoy riding the most.  Hard to see what the rest are for really.

I think it's more a case of there being a type of riding that you enjoy the most, and there being a best bike for the job.  My favourite kind of riding is fully-loaded touring, and I'll be the first to admit that a touring bike is a pretty good all-round bike.  But I have better bikes for efficient riding, riding (and locking up) around town, sensible off-roading or carrying by car / rush hour trains.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #79 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:20:56 pm »
If your riding includes track riding and anything else then you won't legally or safely be able to do it all on one bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #80 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »
Not quite. A friend used to bolt on a front brake, cable and lever to let him get between the train and velodrome for mid-week training. A couple of minutes at each end of the journey. Weekend racing was for his good wheels, which never touched the road.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #81 on: 23 November, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »
Not quite. A friend used to bolt on a front brake, cable and lever to let him get between the train and velodrome for mid-week training. A couple of minutes at each end of the journey. Weekend racing was for his good wheels, which never touched the road.

Indeed.  My old Claud Butler track frame (god rest its tubes) had a fork crown drilled for a brake, and mudguard eyes.   An old friend's Harrison had double rear drop-outs for 'road/path' duties.  Add wheel carriers and you have a genuine all-rounder.

Those who say believe a road bike can't be taken off-road may not have heard of the Rough-Stuff Fellowship.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #82 on: 23 November, 2018, 04:58:54 pm »

Indeed.  My old Claud Butler track frame (god rest its tubes) had a fork crown drilled for a brake, and mudguard eyes.   An old friend's Harrison had double rear drop-outs for 'road/path' duties.  Add wheel carriers and you have a genuine all-rounder.

Those who say believe a road bike can't be taken off-road may not have heard of the Rough-Stuff Fellowship.

Or ACME audaxes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 23 November, 2018, 05:10:53 pm »
Any bike that can take a sensible touring tyre will be basically competent for most normal (and indeed comedy) off-road riding.  But proper knobblies, suspension forks and non-cloggy mudguards can make the experience a great deal more cromulent.  (Particularly for riders of a carpal tunnel persuasion.)

« Reply #84 on: 23 November, 2018, 05:20:26 pm »
Has anyone said that? Because you can doesn't mean you have to, most of those who ride with the Rough Stuff Fellowship choose not to use road bikes.
Anyone who thinks you can't go round the World on a unicycle hasn't heard of Ed Pratt...

« Reply #85 on: 27 January, 2019, 06:42:57 pm »
If you own several bikes there's going to be one you enjoy riding the most.  Hard to see what the rest are for really.

I don't enjoy riding the folder as much as my big bike, but for some journeys a bike I can take on the tube or a rush-hour train comes in handy.

« Reply #86 on: 27 January, 2019, 06:47:52 pm »
I suppose you could stretch this a bit further. Is it wrong to own just one watch?
How many pairs of wearable shoes does one need? How many pairs of gloves should
your have? I fall foul of consumerism, as I have more than one of all items mentioned,
including bikes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #87 on: 27 January, 2019, 07:07:30 pm »
How many pairs of wearable shoes does one need?
When you have more than one pair of unwearable shoes, you really need to worry!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #88 on: 27 January, 2019, 07:24:25 pm »
Shoes - Need loads. Normal shoes, walking boots, steel toecap boots for work, Welly boots, two types of cycling shoes for different cleats, running shoes, football boots and AstroTurf boots. Oh and a smart pair of shoes. Oh yeah and my sports sandals for the summer/canoeing.

« Reply #89 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:21:11 pm »
Too far for a Brompton.
I occasionally ride all the way back from work on my Brompton. It's 37 miles. To be fair, a road bike is a bit quicker, but not that much.

Going back to the original question, after some thought, I've come to the conclusion that I probably don't buy any more bikes than anyone else with an interest. It's on selling them that I'm a bit slow.

« Reply #90 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:47:52 pm »
I commute by bike so have a few just for that depending on the weather (ice/snow or not)  and where I will be travelling to e.g will my Brompton suit better or not? Its my primary mode of transport so prefer to have options open to me.

I also have  a TT bike and a couple of fair (one pretty much guaranteed dry) weather road bikes.

When buying my current home space for said bikes, and the 5 Mrs Syd has, was an important factor.

If I didn’t have the space, and didn’t commute by bike, one would likely suffice though two, one all weather and one fair weather, would be better.

Its been known for me to do a 50 mile ‘commute’ to or from work on nice summer days (the normal commute at that time was 6 miles).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #91 on: 27 January, 2019, 10:25:16 pm »

Or you bought women's shoes... many of which stretch the definition of "wearable"...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #92 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:13:51 pm »

Or you bought women's shoes... many of which stretch the definition of "wearable"...

J

Or you are getting old, the old shoes bash your feet up too much and you haven't got round to throwing them out - but that really puts them in the category of "stored garbage", of which fate and Mr Murphy will always make you have too much!

Then again a certain number of bikes also enter into the category "stored garbage" (but they don't fit in the dustbin!)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #93 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:17:29 pm »
I am currently considering n-1 (4 to 3)

« Reply #94 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:37:46 pm »
As I look into a garage filled with a lot of unsuitable bikes I frequently wonder about getting back to one bike. Only problem is none of the bikes that I have at present would fit the bill. The closest thing to it would be a proper randonneuse but that wouldn't take dirt tracks as I would like and would end up being too fragile if it was light enough. I could really use a folder but that wouldn't be very good on a lot of stuff. So even if I started all over again I would probably still end up with more than one (and I am much too much of a softy to throw out any of the existing collection  :facepalm:  ) But a gravel bike could cover a lot of possibilities without being better than some of the existing collection at anything - except a gravel bike that cost more than what I pay for a car (which is not very much) would never make it through the door.