Author Topic: Di2 - Help !  (Read 5384 times)

Di2 - Help !
« on: 22 March, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »
I recently installed Di2 on my new bike (Ultegra 8050).

It all went well and even survived a decent test ride. 

Things started to go wrong when, encouraged by two members OTP, I decided to be ambitious and connect it to e Tube on my 'phone.

Now I have two problems:

1. When I first tried to connect e Tube to the EW-WU101  it asked for a passcode and suggested it was 00000.  "Incorrect passcode" was the response.   Don't worry the aforesaid members OTP said, you can connect your PC via the SM-BCR2 battery charger and change the passcode from the menu.  Having downloaded an updated version of e Tube, I finally managed to connect.  Unfortunately once it had recognised all the components, it said the EW-WU101 needed a firmware upgrade and that could only be effected via the mobile app.  E Tube then went back to square one with no Bluetooth menu options meaning no change of passcode - catch 22 !

Does anyone know how to fix this conundrum ?

2. In trying to fix part 1 above, I have somehow managed to freeze the BT-DN110 battery.  If I connect the PC to the Di2 system everything shows up except the battery and it tells me I need a battery to make it work.  Di2 no longer works.

I believe you can take the battery to a mechanic with access to a proper PC connector - PCE1 or PCE2 - and they can reset or just buy the connector at additional expense to an already expensive system.  Is there another way ?

Tomorrow was going to be the proper test ride on a 200 but at the moment all I have is a bike with bits of wire hanging out of it - at least the brakes still work I suppose.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Re: Di2 - Help !
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:00:30 pm »
Thank you.

That was pretty much as far as I had got before everything went wrong.

I do have a shiny new I-pad so I might try that on it as my android 'phone won't play ball and my very old I-pad refused to even open the app.

It is looking increasingly like a trip to a mechanic which seems vaguely ridiculous.

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:10:39 pm »
one of the points that is noted in the link I posted was that the thing will (apparently) only accept a six digit passcode, so '00000' won't do.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:12:44 pm »
Apologies, that was a typo it was 000000.

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:15:27 pm »
Does the link below help at all?:

https://tailwind-coaching.com/2017/08/08/tuning-e-tube-shimano-di2/

Says in there that 'Occasionally, you'll get an error code once you connect to BTLE and open the app.  Deleting the BTLE sensor from your device's memory and repairing it will usually fix this.'

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:15:31 pm »
I went through a phase where mine wouldn't connect a second time so had to reboot the phone.
Here's what I've just done on mine (Android):

1. Load e-tube on phone, wait for app to complete its check for new version and present the "Bluetooth LE connection" button.
2. put bike in to BT mode (hold button on junct A till both red and grees start alternately flashing - its not a long hold, perhaps half a sec?)
3. press the button on the app to connect.  It should come up with a name (eg:MyBike or what ever you've called it.  )

If you do not get anything pop up here and the flashing A-junction lights stop, reboot the phone and try again.

4. Click that name, it will prompt for a passcode, this is a default 000000 (six zeros)
5. it will then prompt to change from teh default passcode, skip this by clicking the big X on the bottom left of the dialog box
6. You will then be presented by 3 circles to start messing with the DI2 system

The easiest option however is to just use a Windows laptop and teh DI2 charger unit running e-tube on windows :)

ETA: Failing all that - bring it round and we can get it going somehow (or swap out the BT unit with mine to check working)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:31:19 pm »
Jiber

I think that would solve Part 1 - except that it doesn't seem to like 000000.

My main problem is that the battery has now stopped working with the system.  Looking around, it seems that the only options are A. take it to a shop or B. shell out for a PC connector.  The rainforest people have them at 35% off at the moment.

None of that is going to get me on the road tomorrow though I fear.

Moral of the story - don't listen to you and Grey Sheep in the pub.

Says in there that 'Occasionally, you'll get an error code once you connect to BTLE and open the app.  Deleting the BTLE sensor from your device's memory and repairing it will usually fix this.'

Thank you, I should have waited until the new ipad arrived instead of trying to be clever last night.  Hopefully the BT thing will work once I have fixed the battery.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »
Jiber

I think that would solve Part 1 - except that it doesn't seem to like 000000.

My main problem is that the battery has now stopped working with the system.  Looking around, it seems that the only options are A. take it to a shop or B. shell out for a PC connector.  The rainforest people have them at 35% off at the moment.

None of that is going to get me on the road tomorrow though I fear.

Moral of the story - don't listen to you and Grey Sheep in the pub.

Thank you, I should have waited until the new ipad arrived instead of trying to be clever last night.  Hopefully the BT thing will work once I have fixed the battery.

Ted - I have all the gear and some of the idea (spare battery, the normal plus that posh diagnostic interface and cables)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:43:20 pm »
Good man - there might even be a half pint in it for you !

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:44:34 pm »
Sent you my number  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:45:09 pm »
Have you tried removing the BTLE donge from the system?

Also, something to watch when using the charger and the PC Software is that if you disconnect incorrectly (i.e. you don't tell the software to disconnect before unplugging) then the system wont' have returned to operation mode and therefore will appear to be bricked.

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »

It was mucking about with those wires that seemed to cause the battery issue.

I have subsequently tried it without the dongle and without any of the system - just the battery connected to the charger and the charger to the PC.

Also, something to watch when using the charger and the PC Software is that if you disconnect incorrectly (i.e. you don't tell the software to disconnect before unplugging) then the system wont' have returned to operation mode and therefore will appear to be bricked.

:-[  Yeah, like I would be stupid enough to do that.

I probably did do that. 

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2019, 05:34:12 am »
Do you think my Healing Hands TM might help?

« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2019, 08:43:03 am »
Feels like this could be turned into a fable. Bloke listens to 2 guys in a pub, gets taken in by technical wizardry. Dilemma as it turns bad, with lots of paths to chose for resolution. But how does the story end?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2019, 04:27:44 pm »

It was mucking about with those wires that seemed to cause the battery issue.

I have subsequently tried it without the dongle and without any of the system - just the battery connected to the charger and the charger to the PC.

:-[  Yeah, like I would be stupid enough to do that.

I probably did do that.

My reacting when discovering it was "who the f---" designs anything to work like that...
THen I got to work the following day and repeated a similar exasperation about my own code.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2019, 04:45:40 pm »
So have I got this right, you cannot go for a ride, because you cannot log into your bike?

« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2019, 05:35:26 pm »
Good grief. Will any one abuse me if I say this is exactly the sort of reason why I will never consider electronic gear changing for any of my bikes ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »
I've been using it for 3.5 years with no issues. Its lovely to use. I guess like anything, you need to know what you are doing before you fiddle.

« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2019, 05:47:05 pm »
IOW, RTFM FTW?  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #20 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »
I did manage an electronic 200 today thanks to my great mate DJ Joergen Smash who loaned me the PC interface.

It took about 2 minutes to sort problem 2 but i didn't dare try problem 1 before the ride.

It was a revelation.  Di2 rocks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #21 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:56:22 pm »
I did manage an electronic 200 today thanks to my great mate DJ Joergen Smash who loaned me the PC interface.

It took about 2 minutes to sort problem 2 but i didn't dare try problem 1 before the ride.

It was a revelation.  Di2 rocks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Let me see those hands....   :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2019, 09:25:39 am »
Quote from: Douglas Adams
….We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.....

cheers

« Reply #23 on: 24 March, 2019, 12:20:47 pm »
Still no luck with the BT connection to e Tube (it is connected to my Garmin though).

Attach EW-WU101 to PCE 1 interface.  It recognises it and tells me I need to update the firmware from a mobile device.  No menu offering passcode change or anything else available until the update.

Attempt to connect to EW-WU101 from mobile to update the firmware.  Passcode not correct.  As far as I am aware, I have never changed it.  I had the passcode incorrect message from the very first attempt.

So, as I said, catch 22.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #24 on: 24 March, 2019, 12:26:10 pm »
We shouldn’t laugh but...

;D  :-*