Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858715 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2600 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:29:53 pm »
That Nidd is in Yorkshire, near Harrogate.
FSVO near. Harrogate isn't really in Nidderdale, though I agree it's nearer the Nidd than the Wharfe. :)

The main point is surely that it's isn't served by any TFL railway line.
There you go, spoiling a nice bit of pedantry with a sensible argument.  >:(
 ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2601 on: 16 July, 2018, 02:38:07 pm »
How to remove ticks and what the initial symptoms of Lyme disease are.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2602 on: 16 July, 2018, 05:00:10 pm »
Wouldn't it have been easier to perform surgery on (one of) the base units? 3mm is about the kerf of my circular saw blade ...

Not after I'd assembled the pair of them, it wasn't...   I only measured them when I found they didn't fit!  Foolishly, I had believed a 1000 base unit was, well, 1000 long.  Seemed a reasonable enough assumption to me.  It would also have ruined the doors, which of course are MDF tat covered in some sort of film wrapping.  They were B&Q's basic ones, as its only a workshop, not a classy kitchen.  that said, we have far more expensive ones fitted in our kitchen by B&Q themselves, for the previous owners.  Their bloody soft close hinges really piss me off.  Entire civilisations has been created, evolved, and died out in the time it takes the bloody things to shut.  No, they aren't adjustable in that sense.
Wombat

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2603 on: 20 July, 2018, 12:26:03 pm »
That Judaism is not a religion, but a race. Albeit one you can convert too, but there you go. That I only believe in the human race this is somewhat contentious in my eyes in any case, but there you go.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2604 on: 20 July, 2018, 12:32:49 pm »
You may have been visiting the wrong kind of website there, because I really don't think that's right.

« Reply #2605 on: 20 July, 2018, 01:43:10 pm »
Racists throughout the ages have considered it a race - e.g. converting to Christianity wouldn't save you from a pogrom or from the SS - but then race is a deeply dubious concept anyhow.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2606 on: 20 July, 2018, 03:50:22 pm »
what defines a race?  If followers of judaism only marry and have offspring with others of the same faith, does that make the faith a race, or vice versa. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2607 on: 20 July, 2018, 05:57:07 pm »
Are Mormons a race?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2608 on: 20 July, 2018, 06:33:37 pm »
Are Mormons a race?

The Mormon church ( Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) was founded in 1820 by one person, and has relied on proselytizing to attract converts over the years. So, no.

I'm inclined to agree with Beardy and Jakob W that there is only a human race, with variations in skin and hair color and various other characteristics occurring as an adaptation to different environments as humans migrated out of the African tropics to other parts of the world. But even if one accepts the concept of race, Mormons don't appear to qualify. The Mormon faith did, however, engage in some fairly racist behavior in my lifetime.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2609 on: 20 July, 2018, 07:27:38 pm »
If Judaism is inherited from your mother, it's a race.  Judaism does allow people to convert, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2610 on: 21 July, 2018, 07:33:10 am »
If Judaism is inherited from your mother, it's a race.  Judaism does allow people to convert, though.

Huh? Judaism is a religion, plain and simple. While the religion defines itself as matrilineal, there is no concept of racial purity, so you're talking tosh. As you say, you can convert in, but you can't convert out. there's no escape. It's not unlikely that by that standard a substantial proportion of the world population are Jewish, by that reckoning, making it irrelevant.

Looking at a definition  a race is "a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society" or "a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group". So while it would then be accurate to define Jews as a race, Judaism isn't.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2611 on: 21 July, 2018, 07:37:01 am »
The French for breed, as in dogs, is race.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2612 on: 22 July, 2018, 02:31:34 pm »
That the first Peace Race consisted of two simultaneous stages: Warsaw-Prague and Prague-Warsaw. Berlin didn't join in till 1952, which was the fifth edition. Presumably the two directions weren't just reverses of each other, as that could have got a bit messy somewhere in the middle!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2613 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »
From Twitter today.

UK shoe size is measured in barleycorns, a unit of measurement based on the length of a grain of barley.

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2614 on: 27 July, 2018, 06:30:37 pm »
Three to the inch IIRC.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2615 on: 27 July, 2018, 09:06:59 pm »
That's my recollection as well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #2616 on: 27 July, 2018, 10:14:31 pm »
Insurers in France will only pay out on bike theft if the bike was secured with two locks.
IME insurance in France is better to be considered as a tax than an insurance as they seem very good at not paying your losses.

Envoyé de mon E2033 en utilisant Tapatalk

Chief cat entertainer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2617 on: 28 July, 2018, 07:08:17 am »
I dunno. When the 1999 hurricane took a chunk of our barn roof the geezer said "get it fixed and send us the bill". The dogs' vet insurance is excellent, too.

« Reply #2618 on: 28 July, 2018, 08:40:57 am »
....and carré neige ski insurance is amusingly bureaucratic but effective.  Follow instructions, get money back.

« Reply #2619 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:29:39 pm »
That the coldest part of our new refrigerator is at the top. It says so in the instructions, that I uncharacteristically read (I was trying to see how long the manufacturer said to leave the appliance stood before turning on).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2620 on: 29 July, 2018, 02:58:48 pm »
That the Di2 battery for a Trek Domane can only be fitted one way round. And that is the opposite wa6 to the way I envisioned. Cue exchange of e-wire for a longer one. Plus adjusting saddle tilt on tghe seat post cap is a bugger of a job as a result of the opposing cone type clamping mechanism. Ah the joys of bike building.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2621 on: 29 July, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »
The Seine should be called the Yonne. At the point where the two rivers meet the Yonne is the larger; the Seine flows into it and is therefore a tributary.

« Reply #2622 on: 30 July, 2018, 02:38:44 pm »
Another step ion my bike build odyssey, that Shimano ship flat mount calipers with a 140/160mm adaptor for the front, set at 140mm, but they don’t ship a similar adaptor for the rear, so I’ve had to buy that one.

« Reply #2623 on: 31 July, 2018, 12:04:35 pm »
(Last night on the anbaric distascope)
That power generation continued at Chernobyl until 2000.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2624 on: 10 August, 2018, 07:24:54 am »
That the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, or Trash Vortex, which has been in the news over the last few years, was actually discovered as long ago as 1985. And there's a North Atlantic Trash Vortex which was discovered in 1972.