Author Topic: RIP Matthew Perry  (Read 1029 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
RIP Matthew Perry
« on: 29 October, 2023, 06:09:54 am »
I didn't watch Friends, but 54 is very young.  Possibly natural causes brought on by historic substance abuse, which he was quite open about.  Found dead in his sex pond hot tub, which AIUI puts more strain on the heart.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: RIP Matthew Perry
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2023, 12:03:11 pm »
Quote from: Addiction awareness campaigner Matthew Perry
...but when I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if Friends were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice.

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2023, 03:47:15 pm »
Quote from: Addiction awareness campaigner Matthew Perry
...but when I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if Friends were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice.
That's a nice statement.

He reportedly suffered hugely from anxiety while starring on Friends. Ironic, because he by far played the most likeable male character. That seemed to come naturally to him.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2023, 05:21:45 pm »
Friends was popular as it was aspirational. People my age were supposed to be in friend groups like Friends. This was a frequent discussion point in the pub, however our life was nothing like Friends. If anything it was closer to Bottom (alcohol, random violence, and lack of sucess with the opposite sex), and Sorry (crazy parents, and living at home).

UK sitcoms were always relatable to my life in the UK, and they were kind of timeless. Inbetweeners-Young Ones- Bottom and now my friends and I are in the Richard Briers farce stage of life. 

I always thought Audax had more than a touch of the Brittas empire about it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2023, 07:04:19 am »
The cool kids watched it, so I naturally refused to.  Having seen the odd episode since, it isn't particularly funny by UK standards.  Mind you, my preferences in humour tend towards the absurd, cringey, and scatological.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2023, 09:03:39 pm »
My wife was a watcher, I don't think I've seen an entire episode. Horses for courses, I made her sit through the entire Seinfeld which I don't think was exactly her cup of tea either.

I do like some US comedy, but there's a lot I don't really get at all. Frasier, Cheers, etc. I've lived in the US. I've driven pick-up trucks. Fired semi-automatic assault rifles. But nope, these comedies just don't work on me.

Matthew Perry seemed a nice chap, who had more than his share of demons to contend with, so RIP.