Author Topic: iTunes disc location  (Read 910 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
iTunes disc location
« on: 16 March, 2009, 06:59:41 am »
The children downloaded a film or two last night and filled up the main drive. I moved found the library under MyMusic... etc and physically moved it to a directory on an external driveand then this moving altered the settings in iTunes to point to this new directory.

Alas it has not found it. Is there something else I should do before I loose whatever IT creditiabilty I had in the first place?
A shitter and a giggler.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: iTunes disc location
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:35:14 am »
I'm a little unclear as to what you've done. The easiest way is to go to iTunes>preferences and change the location of the iTunes library to F:\My Music (or whatever the mapping is of your external drive) and then do File>Add to put the movie back into iTunes.

HAve you got other music in your iTunes library? I think that it all has to be in the same location.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:26:44 am »
Thanks - I have not the File->Add bit which I'll do tonight.

All I did was to cut and paste from C:MyDocuments/MyMusic/iTunes to F:MyExtra/MyMusic/iTunes and then pointed iTunes at the new location.

So I planned that everything music/TV/podcasts and films would now be based on the external drive.
A shitter and a giggler.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:37:08 am »
You will need to re-add everything if you move it of course

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »
if you're adding it back in from an external drive, make sure it does not import the file back into itunes (in otherwords making a copy). it's in itunes' advanced settings on the mac, i'd imagine it's somewhere similar on the pc.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2009, 08:55:45 am »
Sorted it - thanks for your help everyone. There's an actually an option within iTunes itself to let you move it, you just have to click the right box and it does all the hard work.

I have to confess at several points I thought I had lost the entire music/TV/film collection, time to back it up I think.
A shitter and a giggler.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2009, 01:20:57 pm »
The reason it didn't work is that the iTunes folder doesn't just store music there but also stuff like library paths etc. What you needed to do was move all the music/videos et all to the new folder and then change the settings in itunes to point there.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium