Author Topic: Need more USB ports  (Read 855 times)

Need more USB ports
« on: 20 March, 2009, 12:17:42 pm »
With almost all peripherals becoming USB these day, and with printers, external hard drives, cameras, MP3 players, memory sticks etc. I decided to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card.   My desktop machine has just 2 USB ports.

I have it here in front of me and I'm puzzled as it has one internal and four external USB ports..  Why would I need an internal USB port?

Re: Need more USB ports
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
You can get a USB card reader in the same format as a CD/DVD drive or a 3/5 inch floppy drive to mount in your case. You would connect this to the internal USB port.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2009, 12:20:48 pm »
Some PC cases have a built in port on the front of the box for easy access - but it still needs to be connected to the USB controller inside.

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2009, 12:28:14 pm »
I was looking at those too but they all seem to have a mainboard USB connector, not a standard connector that you'd plug a peripheral into. 

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2009, 12:34:33 pm »
Are they pin connectors not a rectangular usb slot?

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2009, 12:35:09 pm »
Standard rectangular slot.

« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2009, 12:41:06 pm »
VMware on internal USB is inside one of my HP servers here -

"The HP integrated VMware ESX Server 3i incorporates HP Systems Insight Manager providers, and is shipped on a USB key pre-installed in the internal USB port ..."

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2009, 03:55:04 pm »
I use a four way Logitech USB Hub which works fine. My Toshiba notebook has two USB connectors and the shop advised me to connect my Printer directly otherwise it may not work. Lack of power or something?

Previously I had tried a crap hub which was useless :demon:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"