Author Topic: Moving a domain  (Read 1099 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Moving a domain
« on: 20 March, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »
I registered a domain a few years back but never did much with it other than pay for the name and stick an index page up.

About 2 years the hosting firm went belly up and organised a transfer to another company.

I foolishly did not do much about it other than pay the subs. again in 2008.

Anyway today I thought I'd sort it out but the new firm looks a tad dodgy

http://www.redfurredbear.com/webstatic.php

Looks like a one man band, and describes itself as the best small scale adult website hoster.

The site is still registed to me using WHOIS which is good - how does one go about "moving it" ? I don't actually need to move any pages, just simply rehost the domain.

In 2008 the sub.s went to the original hosting company, which might make it tricky to move it I suspect. But I am clueless in this regard.
A shitter and a giggler.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Moving a domain
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »
Any alternative hosting firm you go to will all have the facility to transfer a domain to themselves.  I've used uk2.net and oneandone and have moved domains around very easily.

They all tend to have a domain name checker, where you enter your domain name, and they should have an option for you to say you already own it, and want to move it.

It's just a question of deciding which new firm to go to.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »
Ah - how on earth did I post it GPS? I'll ask those that know to move it.

One.com Web hosting  -  Domain • Hosting • E-mail   look rather good - cheaper than freeola etc at the moment

approx £12 a year which is cheaper than i'm paying now.
A shitter and a giggler.

inc

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »
- how does one go about "moving it" ? I don't actually need to move any pages, just simply rehost the domain.

I have been with this lot a few years, they seem to get good reports Transfer Domain Name. Heart Internet

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2009, 10:30:31 am »
Cheers everyone - and thanks to the movers.

Heart Internet look good, I guess it all depends who is flavour of the month, they all seem very similar
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2009, 09:02:47 pm »
You don't actually have to have the domain registration with your hosting company. The registration just gives you the right to control the domain. It can be hosted anywhere.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2009, 09:23:12 pm »
Tried today to transfer it. Getting complicated now.....

Heartinternet gets a right-royal-pasting on various sites. When I tried to transfer it their site says it's hosted by FASTHOSTS, then some mention about getting them to tag the site with HEARTINTERNET. So I thought I'd try them direct, first thing to be asked by FASTHOSTS is a user-id which I don't have, tried a support email but it bounces back ask for member id in the subject, phone just rings. I'll try Monday rather Saturday afternoon. 
A shitter and a giggler.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:21:12 pm »
If you need someone with a Fasthosts hosting account, PM me.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.