Author Topic: Word for the afraid  (Read 1005 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Word for the afraid
« on: 25 March, 2009, 09:58:20 am »
Can anyone recommend a good book for learning houw to tame Word 2000 please?
There's no chance of me getting a training course in the current economic climate. I have no choice of using another program so I thought a book was the next best thing.
I'm aware of the For Dummies series, but wondered if anyone has tried any they'd like to recommend.

I've been using Word for years but am not really managing to getting it to stop doing things I don't want it to do so I'd like to learn more....  :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Word for the afraid
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2009, 06:39:47 pm »
...but am not really managing to getting it to stop doing things I don't want it to do....  :)

That is a design feature!
Chief cat entertainer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2009, 07:57:49 pm »
...but am not really managing to getting it to stop doing things I don't want it to do....  :)

That is a design feature!

It's a friggin' PITA if you ask me!
I have experience only of Word 97 and 2007.

Suggest disabling as much as possible of 'Auto format as you type' and 'auto correct as you type' and making a normal document template to replace their default, putting in all the features you want, one by one and saving.
Good Luck!

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:01:03 am »
Word is the work of Stan. I have been using it sine Word 97 when we switched form Wordperfect and it still annoys the hell out of me. As others have said turn off as much of the auto format stuff as possible. If it goes bananas on you and just wont do what you want I sometimes find that cutting and pasting all the text into a new Word document is the only thing that helps.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:26:05 am »
Never ever try serious formatting stuff in Word. Or making ordered lists. You'll find out that Word knows best.
It is simpler than it looks.