Author Topic: Canon lens compatibility  (Read 699 times)

Canon lens compatibility
« on: 28 March, 2009, 12:32:08 pm »
I have an old Canon A1 camera witha variety of lenses. I had formed the impression that these lenses could be used with a Canon Digital.

Does anybody know which camera the lenses will fit as it would be a shame not to be able to use them. Is there an adaptor available?

As far as I can tell the latest Canon Digital are compatible only with EF lenses?
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Re: Canon lens compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:45:30 pm »
I've got an A1 as well. They use the old manual focus FD lenses which were dropped for the EF ones years and years ago. You can get adapters but from what I read when I looked into them they were average at best (something to do with the optics used to correct the difference in focal plane between FD and EF lenses).

The ones most recommended for decent money were from Elefoto. From what I remember they weren't particularly expensive so it might be worth giving it a shot. Not sure where you'd get one from though.

Re: Canon lens compatibility
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:57:50 am »
Thanks Kyuss. You have confirmed my very concerns. Methinks it will have to be a new body  with a medium range zoom.

I believe some shops in Bangkok deal with 2nd hand stuff so possibly I can pick up a wide angle lens for close up photos.

Thanks again for your info it helped me abandon the A1 gear but I may be able to sell it at the 2nd hand places. That will at least help with the capital costs.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"