Author Topic: Finding excel programme  (Read 808 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Finding excel programme
« on: 30 March, 2009, 03:02:54 pm »
I've got a new computer and want to move the excel programme from the old one to the new one.
Can't seem to find it on there to move over.
What or where should I be looking?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Finding excel programme
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2009, 03:14:45 pm »
Office tends to dump all sorts of files everywhere, so just moving c:\program files\Microsoft Office XX\excel.exe to the new computer probably wouldn't work I am afraid... (XX is the version number, XP, 2000, 2003 etc etc)

Could be worth trying though.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

inc

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
I doubt it is possible to transfer Excel or any other MS programme from one machine to another. Since they want to charge you for every copy, what would stop anyone just copying any MS proprietary application  from one PC to another. If you don't have the original CD with the correct id code you are knackered. You could of course install Open Office which is free and for 99.9% of users do all that MS office will and it reads, writes and converts all of MS office formats.

iakobski

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »
It's probably not worth trying (sorry).

Programs generally need to be installed, unless they are specially designed to be runnable just from the files.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2009, 03:32:34 pm »
OK thanks for the replies

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »
At risk of sounding like an advert, why not try open office? Its free, can read (and save) excel files, and has a pretty good UI.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US