Author Topic: DVD conversion for thickies  (Read 749 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
DVD conversion for thickies
« on: 30 March, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »
OK, myself and a pal have been a bit naughty and downloaded a couple of things from Bittorrent.
My file comes in a big folder with some mention of XviD-HAGGiS (whatever the hell that is) and contains nowt but an info file, a .bin file (v large) and a .cue file. How can I burn this to DVD so I can watch it on the telly?
(or at the very least so I can watch it on the laptop).

My pal's files are .avi's and she's trying to fit more than one episode onto a disc so I think she's going to try to convert it to XviD. Will this work ok? Again, should I be able to play it on the DVd player or on the laptop only?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: DVD conversion for thickies
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2009, 10:01:15 pm »
I think what you've got is probably an image file for a VCD (Video-CD), at least that'll be the bin and cue files.  It may play on your DVD player, but the likelihood of that is a bit random.

The info may contain some useful information about things, or it may not.  It's probably just a text file, try opening it with Notepad.  HAGGiS is probably the individual or group who ripped or otherwise acquired the video.

I think how good the image quality is, and exactly how it is encoded can vary a bit, and in various non-standard ways, but your best chance is to write it to a CD and see if one of the freely available players like Media Player Classic or VLC will play it for you on your PC.

It's probably possible to convert it to a DVD, this link is worth investigating, videohelp.com is pretty good for this sort of advice.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2009, 10:14:49 pm »
It would appear that I don't have Nero or anything that will speak to .bin files. (Only NTI). Media player certainly doesn't want to know.

Craig

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »
ImgBurn is free and can burn bin/cue files.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2009, 12:19:39 am »
Ah thanks Craig. Well it worked using Power DVd to view it. Quality's guff though as you'd expect from a DVd compressed to CD size. Doesn't work on the DVd player though. Think I'll just buy the DVD next time!