Author Topic: Falcon bikes  (Read 9883 times)

Re: Falcon bikes
« Reply #25 on: 15 July, 2009, 04:41:24 pm »
I was thinking of something reasonable at least 531. Did Falcon ever make any decent frames of this type ?  What age should I be looking for if I want to fit modern wheels as I just want it to look classic but have quality modern components (though I will probably use Campy down tube shifters and a quill stem to keep the look).

My first 'proper' touring bike was a Falcon Westminster. Took me all over Scotland in the mid-80s. IIRC, it was some variant of 531. Had the fixtures and fittings one would expect for the time - horizontal rear dropouts, rack and mudguard holes. If I had to guess, probably something like a 126mm rear hub width. Nothing exotic for the time, but worked well enough.

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 15 July, 2009, 04:49:14 pm »
Falcon made a very old-fashioned machine in the 70s - you still see the frames around 2nd hand sometimes.  531c plain gauge main tubes, flat bars and a SA 3-speed hub gear.

My first every "proper" bike at age 11 was a Falcon Black Diamond.  It was pretty low-end.

« Reply #27 on: 15 July, 2009, 10:58:53 pm »
My brother saved up and bought a Black Diamond new as his first bike. I got a second-hand white Falcon a little while later. They were fine as first bikes - not 531 club bikes, but did us well as starters.

« Reply #28 on: 16 July, 2009, 11:39:57 am »
Mine was a gold 10 speed but I can't remember what model it was. Road it on my paper round and a 9 mile round trip to school every day until some git nicked it. It was fantastic compared to the Elswick Hopper 3 speed I had had until then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.