Author Topic: Signals on group rides  (Read 10268 times)

Signals on group rides
« on: 12 July, 2009, 08:09:13 pm »
Having a google around, there aren't really any consistent lists of signals for riding in groups.  I'm more interested in what people use in relatively slow social groups, rather than racers, but if there is anything specifically used, it would still be nice to know.

Obviously there are the traditional left and right turn hand signals, pretty much used around the world (and not just in groups).

Also fairly consistent is pointing down at the ground on the left or right for debris/obstructions, often with a cry of glass/hole/etc.

There is also a sign sometime used where people put an arm (typically the left) behind their back, pointing (again for a left hand, rightward) indicating that they are about to pull across, normally to overtake a parked vehicle, or something of that ilk.  I haven't really seen this described anywhere.

Braking is normally indicated by a cry of "slowing" or "stopping", although very occasionally people will use their right arm in an up and down motion.  I've generally only used this one to slow car drivers down, when they are approaching the group, and I'm either at the front or rear enough that this warning will have some effect before they get to the group.  I suspect this is as much because they are unsure what I'm signaling for, as much as anything else.

The calls of "Car up" or "Car down" are also fairly normal, along with various other related cries, such as "Bicycle down" on yesterdays Ride to Regicide, where we were on a fairly narrow riverside path.

There are also various random cries, such as "bollards", "loose gravel" etc
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Signals on group rides
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:15:45 pm »
The signals that always bug me are "car up" and "car down" when they are reversed. "Up" is coming from infront, "Down" is coming from behind.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:17:59 pm »
The signals that always bug me are "car up" and "car down" when they are reversed. "Up" is coming from infront, "Down" is coming from behind.

I learned the reverse. 'Car up' (your bum); 'car down' (your throat).

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »
Both are crap.

Car Front.

Car Rear.

But of course that would be to easy. ::-)

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »

Hang on, are you quoting those as the right direction or wrong?  As far as I recall, "Car Up" means coming from behind the group, and "Car Down" towards the front of the group.  Googling suggests this is the norm.

Does anyone have a good signal for indicating that there is a whole lot of glass or potholes in front, and no easy way to dodge, ie it's not to the right, or left ?

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:23:07 pm »

Hang on, are you quoting those as the right direction or wrong?  As far as I recall, "Car Up" means coming from behind the group, and "Car Down" towards the front of the group.  Googling suggests this is the norm.

Does anyone have a good signal for indicating that there is a whole lot of glass or potholes in front, and no easy way to dodge, ie it's not to the right, or left ?
I dash myself upon the tarmac and bleed.

People always understand that one.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:27:12 pm »
Likewise, getting grollied by a pothole at speed and coughing out a curse-word is much more effective than "hole!"
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:38:45 pm »
You may remember me asking what the signal for "Carrots on the road" was on the Regicide ride.
 ;D

For those who were not there:  Honestly, there was a patch of road covered in carrots.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:40:38 pm »
we got stopped by a flock of sheep on Saturday. Not even in the Dales

Zoidburg

« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »
You may remember me asking what the signal for "Carrots on the road" was on the Regicide ride.
 ;D

For those who were not there:  Honestly, there was a patch of road covered in carrots.
Are you sure it wasn't a dried up patch of vomit?

Vomit always has carrots in it, even if you haven't eaten carrots.

« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:47:12 pm »

Only if produced by someone with the exceptional ability to regurgitate large entire carrots. :-\

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »

Only if produced by someone with the exceptional ability to regurgitate large entire carrots. :-\
You obviously havent been on a ride with the magic circle touring club.

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:50:35 pm »

TimO is right...except that the Yanks reverse it.

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:51:17 pm »

TimO is right...except that the Yanks reverse it.
So do Border City Wheelers

« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:54:46 pm »
Having a google around, there aren't really any consistent lists of signals for riding in groups.  I'm more interested in what people use in relatively slow social groups, rather than racers, but if there is anything specifically used, it would still be nice to know.

You've covered most of it. There are regional variations - Home counties tend to say Oil instead of Car.

« Reply #15 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:02:42 pm »
Some Americans use a left hand raised to indicate right :).
East Sussex CTC use oil up and oil down (no idea which way round, never did remember).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #16 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:07:15 pm »

Warning! Will Robinson. Danger! Danger!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #17 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:09:38 pm »
I understood that a car travelling in the same direction as the cyclists is referred to as "car up" - simply because, on balance of probabilities, the group of cyclists is more likely to be going uphill.  (Bikes spend more time going up than down.)

Sorry - that last sentence is the most blindingly obvious thing I've ever written.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #18 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:12:48 pm »
Having a google around, there aren't really any consistent lists of signals for riding in groups.  I'm more interested in what people use in relatively slow social groups, rather than racers, but if there is anything specifically used, it would still be nice to know.

You've covered most of it. There are regional variations - Home counties tend to say Oil instead of Car.

In the prologue of 'The Escape Artist', Matt Seatton references Oil Up!

« Reply #19 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:13:05 pm »
East Sussex CTC use oil up and oil down (no idea which way round, never did remember).

Welwyn Wheelers used that in the VERY early 1960s.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:15:42 pm »
A Basil says what he thinks moment.  :o

Personally, I refuse to use the Up and Down shout.  Because it's bollix. And can be misunderstood by the inexperienced.
I don't see the point in trying to pretend that I'm an old 1950's CTC rider.

I call "Car front"  "Car behind"  "Bikes/People front" etc.
Others tend to get my drift.

Carrots!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #21 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:35:28 pm »
I've heard some riders call 'oil up' and 'oil down' for cars, and 'metal up' and 'metal down' for overtaking / oncoming cyclists.

Like Vicky, I learned car up (your bum) and car down (your throat) but since I can't seem to remember them when I need them, I just shout 'car behind' or even just 'car' as necessary.

I do know the reason for up and down (using 'behind' and 'ahead', being two syllables, or variations on the theme, can be confused more easily and lead to a Chinese whispers effect up and down the line, so it's easier if there are only two words being used which can't be confused even in a raging gale.  Also, try shouting both.  If you call 'car up' your tone will probably rise on the word 'up' with the emphasis on it, whereas if you call 'car down' your tone will probably fall on the word 'down' - so even if the rider ahead / behind can't hear the phonemes s/he will get the idea from the tone of your voice.  This doesn't happen with 'car ahead' or 'car behind.') 

But however good the theory is, it only works if everybody knows it, understands it and uses it.  So if in doubt, a call of 'car' is better than a call of car up when you meant car down.

« Reply #22 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »
I thought (on the) NOSE and (on the) TAIL were common.
Always seem to be effective at getting the message across.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »
I used to think 'car up' & 'car down' were simple & straightforward till I started riding with other cyclists a lot.

The most useful one I've learned for riding in social groups is 'Easy' for slowing down.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #24 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:57:11 pm »
I thought (on the) NOSE and (on the) TAIL were common.
Always seem to be effective at getting the message across.

I have never, ever heard those before.  

However, I think they're kewl and I shall be using them henceforth.  :thumbsup: