Author Topic: Nitto Front Rack  (Read 2556 times)

Nitto Front Rack
« on: 13 July, 2009, 08:07:24 pm »
Anyone know if these

Planet X UK | Racks

1. are OK for 26" wheelers and 2. if could be used on the REAR?

Having spent what seems like forever looking for a *new* everyday bike I've decided to keep with my Kili Comp. Only drawback is lack of any fitting points - 'grds on P-clips but I don't want to use more. Under-seat bags are either too small or e.g. Carradice stuff too big. In winter a saddle pack and a triangle frame bag is fine, but in summer also need room for a jacket!

Thought a Nitto F AND R would look quite neat!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Re: Nitto Front Rack
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2009, 08:43:35 pm »
I was trying to buy one of those second hand - the limiting factor was the outside width of the forks.

I can't remember the exact dimensions, but my Kona P2s were waaay too wide.

The rack will be fine with a touring fork, but not on forks designed for chunky MTB tyres.

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2009, 08:53:17 pm »
Back to the drawing board then - I've got P2s up front and the rear is also pretty wide!
My thanks - saved me 80 quid!

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2009, 01:56:07 am »
This will mount front  or rear, and it's beautifully made like everything Nitto does. I've got one, and it's great for supporting a big saddlebag.  Lots of bags to choose from on the Riv website, too.

The big rack in your link looks like it would interfere with a rear derailer, and the small one would need some serious bodging to attach to the rear seat stays.

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2009, 09:43:20 am »
Nice indeed, but assumes fixing points/mounts and I have NONE!

« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2009, 01:42:32 pm »
Nice indeed, but assumes fixing points/mounts and I have NONE!

Actually, mine came with P-clips and rubber sleeves to protect the paint job, I could easily have mounted it to a bike with no fixing points.

« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2009, 02:17:11 pm »
Below: Nitto M12 on P2 forks. These are the 700c version of the forks. I've got 26 inch wheel p2s on the front of my dahon, and the width is the same, BUT the drop from the hole in the crown to the center of the brake bosses is 30mm lower* (about 120mm vs the 90mm on the 700c)

*Which makes sense on the same forks I guess, thats roughly the difference in radius between 26 inch and 700c.

Edited to change photo, to one that shows the rack and forks better.

Don't ask.

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »
I used to use a M18 on the rear to support the saddlebag. (photo here) It wasn't quite as rigid as the M12 that's still on the front, but it did a good enough job.

It's the same rack Mark linked to. I used the clamps that came with it to attach it to the seat stays.

PM heading your way.
Don't ask.

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2009, 04:20:15 pm »
Thanks guys. Further thought required!

Luke - replied to PM - as I could use on rear, scrub bit about clamp size!

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »
Thanks, Luke!

Hope to see you on the Pie Ride!

« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
Sorry for the misinformation!

The chap who was trying to sell me it (I can't remember the exact model) was adamant that it wouldn't fit, and since he talked himself out of a sale, I was prepared to take his word for it.  And I didn't want you to make his mistake...

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:54:38 am »
Sorry for the misinformation!

The chap who was trying to sell me it (I can't remember the exact model) was adamant that it wouldn't fit, and since he talked himself out of a sale, I was prepared to take his word for it.  And I didn't want you to make his mistake...

No need - having roughly measured Luke's 700c P2s and my 26" version, seems that the latter DO have wider spaced brake mounts! That said, I reckon would bend or be easily adapted with a spacing link. So "thanks" still in order!

« Reply #12 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »
It would be handy if On-One put more specific information on their site - it is a bit vague!

Having had another look through, the one I was going to buy was the M33F, the top one in the list.  I doubt that would be susceptible to bending to fit it onto wide forks.