Author Topic: Campag Skeleton v older DP brakes?  (Read 1278 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Campag Skeleton v older DP brakes?
« on: 18 July, 2009, 07:05:18 pm »
Have you noticed any difference in mechanical advantage or spring force between a Skeleton front brake and a non-Skeleton dual-pivot Campag front brake?

With the same pads on the same bike, my Skeleton brakes don't seem to have such an effective or light action as my older ones (that I no longer own).  Trouble is I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks or if other factors are to blame.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Re: Campag Skeleton v older brakes?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »
When I was still flush enough to even own a road bike my record skeletons we're an improvement over DP

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »
My 20 year old Cannondale has non-aero Chorus brakes which as far as I know are about the same age as the bike.

My 2007 Airborne has Chorus skeleton brakes which are FAR superior to the ones on my Cannondale.

I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »
The 20 year old bike would have single-pivots though.

I'm wondering whether to buy non-Skeleton dual-pivots again to compare to my new brakes, but maybe that would be a bit mad?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2009, 09:02:14 pm »
When I was still flush enough to even own a road bike my record skeletons we're an improvement over DP

Thanks Finch.  I'm not going to bother going backwards after all.  Was tempted by some Chorus pre-Skeletons on Fleabay.  Phew, that was a close one.  BPBA: bike part buying addiction.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2009, 09:25:20 pm »

Thanks Finch.  I'm not going to bother going backwards after all.  Was tempted by some Chorus pre-Skeletons on Fleabay.  Phew, that was a close one.  BPBA: bike part buying addiction.

if you pay the right money you can always sell them on at no loss... except for postage of course.

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2009, 11:02:52 pm »
I prefer non skeleton to be honest, much easier to keep clean.