Author Topic: Tandem on rear mounted rack  (Read 1214 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Tandem on rear mounted rack
« on: 18 July, 2009, 08:38:26 pm »
Next weekend, I need to transport a tandem in or on our Honda Jazz.
It can go inside, but that means I can only carry one passenger, and I really need to take two. So I've borrowed a "hang-off-the-tailgate" rack from a friend.
It seems secure enough (it can take my weight quite happily) but the tandem, with the wheels off, extends slightly beyond the sides of the car, but hardly more than the door mirrors do. The number plate and rear lights & indicators are not obscured.

Assuming nothing falls off, am I likely to be stopped by some bored motorway polis for some sort of infringement?  :-\

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Tandem on rear mounted rack
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »
Only if it obscures your lights and / or number plate.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2009, 08:44:45 pm »
PB, thanks: they are ok, I was more worried about it sticking out a little, so to speak.  ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »
I don't think 'sticking out a bit' will be any cause for concern unless you exceed the road vehicle width regulations (or whatever they are called).  I believe that for instance a current model range Rover is 2.19 metres wide (at the widest point).   How long is the tandem without wheels?   You can possibly trim a few cms  by rotating the forks too.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2009, 10:16:23 pm »
How long is the tandem without wheels?   You can possibly trim a few cms  by rotating the forks too.
Just measured it: a little under 1700 mm with the forks turned, so should be ok. (A quick google shows the Jazz has a width of 1695mm excluding mirrors).

So that's all fine then, and my last excuse for wimping out of the 24 with McNasty has now gone. :'(

Thanks - I think!  ;D