Author Topic: 32h vs 36h wheels for touring?  (Read 22399 times)

Re: 32h vs 36h wheels for touring?
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:06:14 am »
If you were starting again with a new tourer and had the straight choice between 32 and 36h, would you choose 32h?  Why?  To save a couple of quid?  To save a few grams?  What other advantage is there for you?

Very fair question; depends on the exact use of the bike I think.  For me, vast majority of my use is commuting, with fairly light load.  Holidays carry much more stuff but still stay on tarmac. 

So when I built a new rear wheel last year, I built it as 32h.  The 'save a couple of quid' or 'a few grams' thing isn't the point.  Following that logic leads to a tank, whereas I'm simply staying with a strength level which, in my experience, hasn't broken.

Basically, 32h has worked fine for me, so I see no reason to change.  I don't think I could get that agitated about it, mind.  I wouldn't refuse a 36h wheel if I was offered one for free.  ;D

I agree in principle 36 hole is stronger, but in practice there are plenty of people here breaking spokes on 36.  And others like me with 32h not breaking.  I'm not sure if the spoke count is a bit of a red herring, is it mostly luck, or what?   And if so, how do I keep this luck???  ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:16:09 am »
32, because I've never had a spoke break on a 32h wheel yet, so why have more?

Because a broken spoke is even less likely with 36.  My question is why not have 36?  I appreciate that plenty of people don't have trouble with 32, but also plenty do.  The reasons given for 32, on the rare occasion any reason is given at all, seem pretty trivial or obscure.  36 is cheap insurance.

You could ask the same question and apply the same logic using 48h vs 40, 40h vs 36, or 32h vs 28.

36h hubs and rims are common, and about as common as 32, wheras 40+ are speciality items.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:19:47 am »
As per the title.  If I'm building up a touring bike, what are the pros and cons of 32/36h wheels?

The problem is, along with any number of 32h fronts, I've got a lovely, lightly used 32h Ultegra hub ready to be built up into a wheel.  Ideally, I'd like to have that extra four spokes because I'm going to be looking at front and rear panniers and I'm not a delicate little thing.

Should I hold out for a 36h on eBay or go with the bird in the hand and get on with it?

Something I have posted before that may be worth repeating here as some relates to 32v36 hole:

The popular mix used to be 40 rear and 32 front, in part as the lacing pattern is very strong on both, as the spokes on the opposite side of the hub are directly opposite, I have just made this line drawing which may explain it.

36 Hole is also quite popular though, being a good compromise between weight and strength, in reality 36 front and rear even with the lacing pattern as I tried to show above still made for a good set of wheels. 36/36 x 3  all round often the choice for touring/audax and 32/32 x 3 for race bikes and now ATB, the latter having smaller rims and larger hubs would mean that the spoke angle into the rim would be greater, infact often to accute, making 32/32 x 3 the norm'.

For anyone not sure what I mean by 36/36 x3, the x3 is to indicate the lacing pattern and how many other spokes are crossed between the hub and rim, to illustrate the picture below shows a wheel built x3

28 hole in 700c or tubular hand built traditional wheels are only normally used for lightweight racing bikes, quite common to see them laced x2, or x1 and sometimes even radial which means no spokes crossing, the less the spokes cross, the more rigid the finished wheel,  as it is the crossing of the other spokes that gives a wheel it springy comfort, so radial spoking was really only used where the emphasis was on performance first,  comfort and durabilty second.

I would not recommend radial spokes on hubs that are not designed for radial spoking, as the spoke head pulls accross the thinnest part of the flange and it can pull it right off as seen in the picture below.

You can tell from the picture that this rear wheel was not radial as you can see the both indentation from the spoke accross the flange and the angle that the spoke has pulled the holes that remain, I am showing it so you can see what I mean when I state that the spoke will pull this hole across the thinnest part of the flange when built radial. It was  most common on front wheels and I have seen the results of some nasty accidents where the flange has ripped away with a bang causing the the rider to caterpult over the bars.

28 hole is far less common these days as most racing bikes use the modern designed prebuilt wheels, which use different hubs and spokes. To an extent I can see why you ask the question "does the front wheel have the same amount of spokes as the rear", it was/is indeed in part to keep things simple for the cycle manufacturers, simple to them means that it should result in savings to the customer. 36/36 became the norm' in the late seventies for most sports bikes and as I state above they were a good compromise of weight over performance, resulting in a good all round wheel, to the same extent 32/32 on atb bikes offers the same compromise.

Of course there is no harm in having something more specific to your needs and why not, it is half the fun of custom building. For example if you use the bike for Audax/touring and you want a traditional wheel then 40/32 combination still makes sense. You may find it a bit harder obtaining such a wide choice of matching rims/hubs front and rear but I assume you enjoy the research needed in tracking them down, you have taking the trouble to start a forum thread after all  :lol:

Having built 2000 wheels plus over twenty years, as well as all the advice from wheel building sites like Sheldon Brown etc I would suggest the following:

1) Always use correct spoke lengths, I personally find the DT Website OK, just never use shorter than they suggest, always next MM up, never down.

2) When lacing rears place both spoke lengths far apart, that way you will engage your brain before picking them up, far less likely to put the spokes in the wrong side. Applies more to the later wheels built when you are possibly concentrating less  ;)

3) After lacing do not tighten to much before you start to true/track

4) Stress wheel on a regular basis

5) Tighten spokes gradually, half a turn at a time when slack, less as wheel gets tighter.

6) Patience is the golden rule, more haste less speed applies especially to wheel building.

7) If it all starts to go wrong, ie you can't get it true, then slacken off and start again.

In conclusion 32/32 for credit card tours should be OK so if you have the spokes and rims already then save some money and use them as in many ways 32v36 is spliiting hairs. If heavy touring then a 135mm ATB rear hub as opposed to 130mm road hub if the cassette will go accross will be a good idea; most 130mm frames can easliy be either reset to 135mm or simply pulled apart to take the wider hub.

I know you state that "I'm not a delicate little thing" but you are a "fixie Chick", most fixie types have as a result evolved into riders with a smooth style and as such are often far less aggressive on bikes/wheels. Size of rider although it plays a part can be compensated for with a smooth style, I know large smooth riders who are far less aggressive than some lighter riders with a punchy style, many of that latter are very hard on equipment.

Note all references to large riders was not aimed at you  :-* I was talking generally; mind you times I have faux pared like that, "how long into the pregnany do you intend to cycle", "I'm not pregnant", just no amount of digging got me out of that one!

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

The Mechanic

« Reply #28 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:20:52 am »
I have 32F/36R on my audax bike which I will be using for touring in the Highlands in August complete with panniers.  The front is a dynohub which I supplied to Big Al.  He recommended 36 for the rear (Ultegra) on the grounds that I am a fat B*****d.  Spokes are DB non-drive side and SB on the drive side, as recommended by Al.  Don't know enough about wheels to argue with him.  So far the wheels have been great.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:22:47 am »
Great advice from all.  Particularly Paul - you're a lovely  :-*

But, you see, chaps...

I have a very nice 32h Ultegra hub, waiting to be built up into a wheel for my 130mm spaced frame.  Should I use this or should I get hold of a 36h hub?  

If I'm going to have to leave that in the parts bin and buy a whole new hub, why not go for 135mm and cold re-set the frame whilst I'm at it?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
I agree in principle 36 hole is stronger, but in practice there are plenty of people here breaking spokes on 36.  And others like me with 32h not breaking.  I'm not sure if the spoke count is a bit of a red herring, is it mostly luck, or what?   And if so, how do I keep this luck???  ;)

I suspect it's mostly down to a combination of rider weight and quality of wheel build and components.  No such thing as luck, but "luck" explains a load of complexities that are not obvious - including subtle things to do with the wheel build.  Anyway, I still believe problems are less likely with 36 when all else is equal.

You could break a spoke tomorrow despite never breaking one in your life before.  OK so there's only a small chance of that, but the price of 36 is also small (at the time of choosing a wheel; I'm not suggesting it's necessarily worthwhile to change once you've already got one).

Another advantage of 36 over 32 spokes is that you don't need such high tension to have an equally strong wheel.  This can help with rims that have troube taking high tension and crack around the holes, etc.

« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:28:55 am »
The most reliable (no breaks, stayed true) wheels I've ever had were built by Merlin, mtb bike builders.

Now, they specialize in mtb wheels. Guess what, they are 32 hole!  I know that the smaller rims and wider hubs make for a stronger wheel, but they are also calculated to cope with mtb-style abuse. Far worse than anything that a road bike goes through.

I put over 20k miles on those wheels on the road, commuting in all weathers and over awful road surfaces. They hit plenty of potholes etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #32 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:31:00 am »
At the risk of being slapped for being patronising...

Describe how you intend to use the thing?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #33 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:33:41 am »
I have a very nice 32h Ultegra hub, waiting to be built up into a wheel for my 130mm spaced frame.  Should I use this or should I get hold of a 36h hub?

I would save that hub for something else, or sell it, if I could afford to buy a 36h for the tourer.

If I'm going to have to leave that in the parts bin and buy a whole new hub, why not go for 135mm and cold re-set the frame whilst I'm at it?

Not a bad idea, and it would also mean you could have a better sealed hub than an Ultegra.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:36:41 am »
At the risk of being slapped for being patronising...

Describe how you intend to use the thing?

On-road, light (ish - I'm going to use front bags as well) touring.  Nowhere out of the way, nowhere I can't find a bike shop.

But Biggsy's right, I think.  In fact, I suspect that we'll have to have an extension to Norman's Law and acknowledge that The Biggsy Is Always Right.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #35 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:39:41 am »
The most reliable (no breaks, stayed true) wheels I've ever had were built by Merlin, mtb bike builders.

Now, they specialize in mtb wheels. Guess what, they are 32 hole!  I know that the smaller rims and wider hubs make for a stronger wheel, but they are also calculated to cope with mtb-style abuse. Far worse than anything that a road bike goes through.

I put over 20k miles on those wheels on the road, commuting in all weathers and over awful road surfaces. They hit plenty of potholes etc.

The smaller rims and wider make a big enough difference to account for all that, I think.  Also a well built 32h wheel will be better than a poorly built 36h one.

It's not potholes and jumping around so much that damages spokes as much as the simple repetition of the rider's weight flexing the spokes on every revolution.  Metal fatigue happens even with the most gentle rider on a marble floor.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #36 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:42:28 am »
But Biggsy's right, I think.  In fact, I suspect that we'll have to have an extension to Norman's Law and acknowledge that The Biggsy Is Always Right.

Oh no, that just makes it even more embarrassing when I get things wrong. ;D  I do get some things wrong.  :-[

:thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:54:53 am »
On-road, light (ish - I'm going to use front bags as well) touring.  Nowhere out of the way, nowhere I can't find a bike shop.

In that case I think either will work absolutely fine.   :D ;)

Unless something goes wrong.  In which case either wheel could break anyway.   >:(

But Biggsy's right, I think.  In fact, I suspect that we'll have to have an extension to Norman's Law and acknowledge that The Biggsy Is Always Right.

Damn, I'm wrong by extension.  Phooey.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #38 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:25:06 pm »

My current rear wheel came from Merlin.  I was a little unsure about changing from 36H to 32H (being on the lardy side and the wheel having to cope with heavy baggage on potholed and cobbled street surfaces, day-in, day-out) - but was slightly mollified when the wheel popped out of the box featuring a disc-capable (Deore) hub.

Flange size was not far off my 32H dynohub (built up by my LBS).  Both have been just as robust as the 36H wheels they replaced.  My only significant wheel problems have been (a) accidents and (b) due to running tyres too slim and high pressure for teh rim to cope with the road-surface/load equation alluded to above.

*All* other things being equal, 36H may well be stronger than 32H - but there are quite a few variables to take into acount.

« Reply #39 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »
36h creates a far stronger wheel than 32h.  32h wheels were a 70s marketing ploy that has stuck with us.  

It's more the other way round.  32h front wheels used to be very common, accompanied by 40h rears on touring and general purpose bikes.  Someone decided at some point that it would be a good idea to go for 36 front and rear, and this subsequently got modified to 32 front and rear as a sort of "norm".  

I'm going to use front bags as well) touring.  Nowhere out of the way, nowhere I can't find a bike shop.

One assumes madam is going to build the  wheel herself?  Then it won't matter.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 20 July, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »
Madam shudders at the very thought of riding wheels that weren't built by her own hand...

« Reply #41 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:09:51 pm »
<Melchett>

Bahhhhhh

</Melchett>

« Reply #42 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:29:37 pm »
My tourer has 32h front and rear. Mainly because when I ordered the hubs I didn't really know what I was talking about  :P

The bloke who then built the wheels reckoned that 32h would be fine. He was right. A number of years, thousands of miles and lots of fully loaded tours on variable terrain, they are as true today as when I picked them up from the lbs.

I would probably go for 36h for future touring wheels though, just to be on the safe side.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »
36h f&r throughout for me.

Never thought about reducing myself.  I knew that fast lads would have 32h rear and 28h radially spoked fronts, which was sheer madness ;D  But tourers?

Weeeeelll, times have changed, even since my Silver Medal was built.  And wheel technology has certainly improved.  No doubt about that.  There's no reason why a modern 32h shouldn't be as solid as an old 36h.  OK, so when I got new wheels for my  Orbit, I went for 36h, and a good rim, but that's because I used my bike off road as well as for touring (and I was using the old hubs ;) ).  My spec for the proposed commuter (will I ever be able to afford to build it? ::-) ) has 32h. 

Precis: I dunno. ;D
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #44 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:31:43 pm »
There's no reason why a modern 32h shouldn't be as solid as an old 36h.

Rim and spoke technology has indeed improved, but the amount of dish of modern rear handbuilt road wheels still leaves them quite vulnerable compared to the front wheel and lots of the other components.  A measly investment of £2 and 25g (on top of the cost of a 32h) helps combat this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:52:38 pm »
Yeah.  Hadn't considered increased dishing.  My bikes have 1, 6 or 7 sprockets ;D
Getting there...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #46 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »
36 is cheap insurance.

If its more than a rider needs, its over-engineering.  On a bicycle?  Tchah!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #47 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
I bet your forks are over-engineered.  ;)