Author Topic: Comfortable helmet  (Read 1150 times)

Comfortable helmet
« on: 20 July, 2009, 08:30:05 pm »
Could someone recomend me a cycling helmet ? My priority is comfort.I do own a helmet its a Met estro or something.The problem I have is the webbing,it rubs my forehead,and seems to direct sweat into my eyes.So I have gone back to the old cotton cycling caps.Is there such a thing as a cycling helmet with out forehead webbing ?Oh and I dont want to pay more than £100.Thanks.

Re: Comfortable helmet
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »
Get they to a cycle shop. Helmets are to heads what shoes are to feet ie everyone is differnet and finds different ones comfy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »
Indeed, try before you buy - but I have a Met Stradivarious and find the micro-adjustment for fit excellent, and the brow pad good at keeping sweat at bay, if a little more abrasive than my old Giro and Bell helmets. I just have to make sure I slacken the fit off a fraction as my hair re-grows!

Also, if you wear glasses when cycling take them along too. I had to modify my Bell as the brow had a small peak that dipped down and interfered with my Oakleys when riding. Luckily it was relativley easy to remove a small amount of polystyrene to prevent interference.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:52:16 pm »
Get they to a cycle shop. Helmets are to heads what shoes are to feet ie everyone is differnet and finds different ones comfy.

+1. I tried every bike shop in Dundee before I found a helmet that a) fit and b) didn't obstruct my vision.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »
Make sure you try on properly - I tried on a Giro Monza standing in the shop and it was fine. Actually riding the bike, with my body leaning forward and my head bent back it was murder. Used it for 3 rides then gave up on it - £50 down the drain.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2009, 10:49:38 pm »
There is no such thing in my view as a comfortable helmet.

I probably have the world's largest collection (all because they changed the rules for racing and some events so that polystyrene lumps were required) I have yet to find one that didn't spoil my enjoyment of riding - one reason I gave up racing!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2009, 06:32:54 am »
Both of my helmets are comfortable.  I have a cheap & cheerful Bell Venture and my summer helmet is a Specialized S Works 2D.  As you would expect the Speccy is lighter and has much better ventilation, on all but the hottest days I forget I'm wearing it.

gonzo

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2009, 09:46:26 am »
I just wear a cap underneath a helmet; works out cooler for me because it distributes the sweat across the fabric thus giving greater area for it to evaporate from.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2009, 10:10:58 am »
I just wear a cap underneath a helmet; works out cooler for me because it distributes the sweat across the fabric thus giving greater area for it to evaporate from.
I might try that.

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2009, 10:12:30 am »
buffs are good for that too.  The dangly end drips the sweat onto your shoulders which helps keeping a bit cooler too.