Author Topic: Schmidt hub broken?  (Read 1654 times)

Schmidt hub broken?
« on: 23 July, 2009, 12:57:52 pm »
I have a Schmidt dynohub which is (I think) coming up for five years old. It's got maybe 10,000 miles on it (give or take a lot - I really can't work it out). Just before I went on holiday, I swapped it with a different wheel, and two things went wrong:

1) As I pulled the spade connector off as I have done countless times before, it pulled the (male) connector out of the hub.  :o :'(

2) The quick release skewer woulnd't come out of the wheel. It felt like it was bent and jammed, but when we eventually wiggled it free, the skewer was completely straight - which means that somehow the hub is bent inside.  ??? I have no idea how this could have happened, given I've never done anything to that wheel that has even damaged the rim, let alone the hub.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these things happening before? A quick search of the site revealed nothing. The hub came from SJSC - should I take it back to them, or Schmidt, or simply start saving for a new hub? I have no idea if I even have the receipt for the damn thing.  :-[

Ta.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

border-rider

Re: Schmidt hub broken?
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:02:02 pm »
Send an email to Schmidt explaining what's gone on, and then send the wheel (or just the hub) back to them

At 5 years and 10k it'll be out of warranty, but they're very good at fixing stuff. SJS won't be interested - mine failed just before PBP03 at 2 years old, and SJS made it clear they couldn't give a FF.

Schmidt fixed it free :)

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:16:55 pm »
Quite a few have sent there hubs to Schmidt for a service at the time of rebuild to replace a worn rim, they actually do it quite quickly. There contact details are:

Schmidt Maschinenbau
Aixer Straße 44
D-72072 Tübingen
Tel.: (+49) 7071 38870
Fax.: (+49) 7071 38876
Email: info@nabendynamo.de
Web: Schmidt Maschinenbau Homepage
USt.-Ident.-Nr. DE147122344

They do have a page in German about repairs that may be of use, they do reply to emails, although it did often take a few days for them to do so.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »
And they send gummi bears back with the repaired hub  :)

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »
...SJS made it clear they couldn't give a FF...

To be fair, they were entirely helpful when I wandered in with my old-style non-working hub. I got it back fully repaired within two weeks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »
I recently sent my non working schmidt hub to the address shown above with a letter saying i'd bought it in 2005, it had done 30,000km, please find 40 euros enclosed to cover expenses on the repairs/servicing.  I emailed first to say what I was doing.

I got the hub back again in a couple of weeks and the 40 euros.  I haven't built it into a wheel again yet but they say it is fixed.

To summarise, the hub was 4 years old and had done nearly 20,000 miles and they fixed it for free