Author Topic: wheel straps for bike carrier  (Read 1286 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
wheel straps for bike carrier
« on: 23 July, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
Mrs Woofage has just acquired a couple of roof-mounted bike carriers via Freecycle. Trouble is, they're missing the straps to hold the wheel rims down against the main channel. Does anyone know where I can buy some?

TIA :)
Pen Pusher

alan

Re: wheel straps for bike carrier
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2009, 05:28:41 pm »
Try toe-clip straps

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2009, 05:29:06 pm »
If like the one I had then standard quick release toe straps from LBS ?

I'm assuming the bike stands normal way up.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:21:51 pm »
To add to the straps on my carrier, I got some flexible things from Maplin:  they're a like jumbo glorified version of those little wires you get with sandwich bags.  They're covered with a soft rubber so they don't damage your rims, but hold things down very tightly. They were about £2.00 a pair on special offer. 

I found that toe-straps worked better than the straps that came with the carrier anyway.

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:57:04 pm »
D'you realise, there are probably younger cyclists out there who don't have a supply of redundant toe straps. There are possibly some who don't know what they are. Such  is progress.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
I use a couple of little straps that I got from a camping shop. They are short luggage straps that have a metal clasp you thread the strap through and pull it tight. Before I got these I used cable ties in an emergency.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:57:40 pm »
the straps I used on Saturday to hold my bike on the back of the car were stamped BINDA.  They used to have a little placcie button on the end to stop it pulling right through the buckle.

« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2009, 08:35:46 am »
the straps I used on Saturday to hold my bike on the back of the car were stamped BINDA.  They used to have a little placcie button on the end to stop it pulling right through the buckle.

The real thing! The only thing better is the Binda extra, which has a leather/nylon sandwich strap.

To return to the question - toe straps are ideal for roof racks, either leather ones or the nylon plaited ones that are still available I think in the "popular motor and cycle superstores".

PS - beware of low car park entrances etc with your bikes on!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2009, 08:55:49 am »
D'you realise, there are probably younger cyclists out there who don't have a supply of redundant toe straps. There are possibly some who don't know what they are. Such  is progress.

FTR, I've never used toe straps. "Old fashioned" toe-clips etc always terrified me. Clipless FTW :thumbsup:.

I realised that the straps on my other bike racks are the same type as that holding my Trangia together. I'll see if the local outdoors shop has any.

Thanks all.
Pen Pusher

alan

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2009, 09:21:10 am »
PS - beware of low car park entrances etc with your bikes on!
BTDTGTTS :-[

Most certainly true IME