Author Topic: Cycling in France  (Read 831 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Cycling in France
« on: 26 July, 2009, 11:16:19 am »
Off in 10 days for 3 weeks camping in the Vendee.  :thumbsup:  This year we have a roof rack and cycle carriers so we can take adult bikes as well as BMXs. Daily runs by Pompino to various cafes are planned before any other family member gets up; that's the plan, anyway...

Apart from looking over the left shoulder, any new rules (magic hats, hi-vis, etc.) I should be aware of?

TIA,         Marco.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Cycling in France
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2009, 12:12:06 pm »
I believe that you are required to have a hi-viz tabbard and that it should be worn in low light conditions. I think I have read of people getting on the spot fines for not carrying one, but I can't find a link to anything like that now.

As far as I am aware magic hats are not required.

Hopefully somebody will be along in a minute with more definite info.

StanThomas

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2009, 11:02:00 pm »
As far as your car is concerned, you are required to carry a warning triangle and hi-vis jacket (and use them in the case of breakdown), have a GB sticker or EU style number plates, mask out or otherwise adjust your headlights so they don't dazzle. The old yellow headlight requirement has been dropped.

For the bicycle, you're supposed to have a bell and an i.d. plate, with your name and address, fixed on the bike. Not that I've known anyone to bother. And use cycle lanes where available in preference to the road.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2009, 11:04:56 pm »
As far as your car is concerned, you are required to carry a warning triangle and hi-vis jacket (and use them in the case of breakdown)
Also, you need 1x high vis jacket for each person in the car and the French put them over the backs of their seats so that the police don't have to stop them to check.

The big problems come with riding on the wrong, wrong side when you're turning lots on quiet roads. For me, my only encounter in 3 months was on a hairpin descent!

robbo6

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2009, 11:11:43 pm »

For the bicycle, you're supposed to have... an i.d. plate, with your name and address, fixed on the bike. Not that I've known anyone to bother.
I believe the i.d. plate was dropped after "ne'er do wells" started using the information to discover when houses were empty.