Author Topic: Cinelli Spinaci bar extensions  (Read 3127 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Cinelli Spinaci bar extensions
« on: 26 July, 2009, 02:25:14 pm »
I'm looking in vain to find some Cinelli Spinaci bars, and I can't find anywhere but flea-bay to buy some. I might end up doing that, but before hand I need to know if they will fit 31.8mm os bars?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Cinelli Spinaci bar extensions
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2009, 02:36:12 pm »
Your OS bars are only 31.8mm at the central bulge, I expect.

Spinacis are usually fitted outside of that, judging from Google Images.

I haven't used them myself.  Hopefully comments from Spinaci users will confirm it one way or the other.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Jacomus

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2009, 04:35:10 pm »
There will be fitted to downhill bars which are 31.8mm until the grips. :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2009, 04:58:05 pm »
As in OS downhill riser bars on a MTB?

Sadly they would not fit, what you could do is swap out the bars for non OS ones and it is fully possible to fit tri-bars to them or bar ends moved inwards, I have tried it on a slicked up MTB and while it works I took them off in the end as it just looked plain goofy, its quite a common practice for endurance racing in Australia to fit tri-bars to XC bikes as the trails are long dirt roads and not singletrack.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2009, 06:15:50 pm »
Academic now, but the minimum clearance between the Spinaci mounting points would be about 100mm, and the max about 150mm (inside surface of the clamps).  Even non-OS bars are usually sleeved or bulged to a width or 130mm or so, and the clamps are shaped to fit on the narrower non-sleeved section outside of that.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Jacomus

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:31:45 pm »
Bugger, so it 'ain't gonna happen :(

Looks like I need to find an alternative. I will try out my aero-bars tonight, as I know they fit OS bars, but I'm not convinced the arm rests will fit.

I need something to comfortably(ish) reduce my frontal area to allow me to take this bike further and faster. The weight + riding position (which, essentially forms a giant scoop) makes a sustained effort really hard work. I am happy enough gripping the centre of the bars and tucking for a short time, but it is not sustainable over time.

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »
Profile Century aero bars are what you need.

The arm rests are very adjustable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »
Aye, I have some and they're ace.  We even fitted them to the tandem for last year's MR24.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2009, 10:59:18 am »
If you want Spinacis try looking on eBay for 3T Tiramisu bars. Silly name I know but they look exactly like Spinacis to me, NOS on a buy-it-now for about £15.

The advert didn't say but they didn't look like they'd fit oversize bars.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2009, 02:59:54 pm »
I filed out the clamps on my spinaccis so they would fit on the central bulge just next to the stem.
The primary use was to make a "space saver" bar for lights etc, but I've used them quite successfully with the spinaccis in place.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.