Author Topic: Tubs  (Read 1145 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Tubs
« on: 28 July, 2009, 10:56:25 am »
Having managed, through my own stupidity, to break a back wheel the other week my good bike is currently unrideable. Spare parts are on the way but it's got me thinking that I should have another back wheel that's Campag compatible (all my others are Shimano).  Looked on the web and found that an LBS has a Campag fit back wheel reduced from £300 to £60. The only problem is that it has a tubular rim. I've only ever ridden clinchers so I'm not sure what the pros & cons are of tubs. The wheel will mostly be used for TTs, not everyday use, but I've got no idea what you do with a Tub on a TT if it punctures. Do people still ride with spare tubs wrapped round their shoulders? Should I be snapping up a bargain or staying well clear of endless glue/tape misery?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Re: Tubs
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2009, 11:15:32 am »
I'm changing my bikes from tubs to clinchers.  I've just got fed up of having a few punctured tubs lying around the place and no spares, and I'm too cheap to buy new ones and too lazy to repair them.

If I was going some distance I carried a spare (and tub tape - I never got on with glue).  If I was not, then I just walked home if I punctured.  I've never TTed, but if I were going to I wouldn't bother with a spare for a 10 (or a 25 if I had someone I could call up to pick me up).  Above that, I probably would, though you can fit them in your jersey/seatpack, especially if they are new.  I wanted to put slime into the tubs I have, but I can't remove the valve cores, so that's no go.  I don't know if there are more expensive tubs from which you can.  You can also get tubs that offer some puncture protection (eg Conti gatorskins).

I picked up some patch spray from Aldi the other day, and the only tub I am left using is punctured, so I'll try that next ride I go on...

Pros seem to be high pressure and lightness.
Cons are hassle/expense when punctures occur.  How often do you puncture on your TTs?

To give some idea of the weight difference, here are the measurements I took when I swapped my front wheels over
Aksium plus tube plus Bontrager Hardcase tyre - 3lb 4oz
HG50 hub, 32spokes, GP4 rim plus conti gatorskin tub - 2lb 13 oz.
GP4s are pretty bulletproof.  And I have about 6 sitting in my shed, so if anyone wnts any, PM me. ;)

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2009, 11:25:10 am »
I've got no idea what you do with a Tub on a TT if it punctures.
Change it, unless you want a long walk, same as you would the tube in a wired on.  Some people carry puncture mending aerosols but I've only seen one person try to use one.  It put some air in the tyre but not enough for safety.  That might have been operator error though.

Do people still ride with spare tubs wrapped round their shoulders?
Not since the 1950s or 60s.  The tub lives rolled up under the saddle.

Tub tape is much easier to use than tub cement.  I have tubs on one machine only, and that is simply because I want to preserve it in its 1980 TT glory.  If I were racing these days I'd probably use wired on.

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »
If you buy Tufo tubulars, they come with a removeable valve core, and you can buy sealant from Tufo that you put in the tub once it's installed on a rim.  This "self seals" and if the puncture is small enough you can continue to use the tub.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2009, 02:28:02 pm »
rafletcher
Where do you get the Tufo tubs from, and how long do they last?  I have some decent wheels I'd like to keep as backups with tubs on...
Cheers

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2009, 02:36:36 pm »
I bought mine from St John Street Cycles, sealant and all.  I still carry a spare though.  Possibly a side effect of the sealant is that they retain pressure very well.

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »
https://www.soniccycles.co.uk/

Is where I got mine from. I actually have the "tubular clinchers" - a tup with a bead that fits clincher rims, though they seem not to have them any more.  Mine are the training ones, I've not ridden that far though so can't vouch for longevity, but certainly looking good so far, and not prone to cuts (like my Micelins pro's, a tyre I also like) and seem to have reasonable wet grip.

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2009, 04:20:13 pm »
Also available from

www.velomax.co.uk :: Cycling stuff for the enthusiast.

And they do do the tubular clinchers, though that's of little interest to you I guess  :) I have the CS33's.