Author Topic: Map Lights  (Read 13784 times)

Re: Map Lights
« Reply #25 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:41:59 am »
I can't see any justification for replacing it.

I don't think he was suggesting replacing your headlight with a headtorch.

Despite having FIERY-BEAMS-O-DETH (Solidlights XB2) I've certainly had situations on bends where a headtorch has picked out things coming up before the light does. Turning to the right means the bike is pitched over a bit. For the headlight to be illuminating that bit of road brightly would mean it would be pointing right into the eyes of oncoming drivers if I was riding along the straight. Your headlight isn't always pointing where you want to be going.

Back to phil d's question, I have tried headtorchs and not got on with them. I didn't like the added weight to the head

Fair enough.

and had trouble keeping it well placed on my helmet. Part of the problem arose with continually taking it on and off (because of the above meaning that I didn't want it on the helmet during daylight).

As the previous photo I attached mine to the helmet by weaving it through the vents. It stays there permanently, even during daylight. (I can't see a reason why I'd worry about it being on there during daylight. One looks odd enough on a bike dressed for Audaxing anyway.)

Then there was the above the peak/below the peak question. If it were above the peak then it'll be partially blocked for map reading, below means less effective for looking around at signposts and other stuff.

Ah, I ripped off the peak on my helmet almost straight away and use a cotton cycling cap instead. Helps keep the majority of the rain off my glasses (except Welsh horizontal rain) and has the added benefit of taking the sweat off my head and making it drip off the tip of the peak.

I've never had a problem with the cap peak obscuring the beam, even when not wearing a helmet and wearing a headtorch (I have one for when I leave the helmet at home) on my head (on the cap).

To be fair I don't really need it for looking at signposts and other landmarks as, luckily, I've been blessed with good night vision, except when I've got a headtorch right above my eyes. Any rare instances of needing to shine a light on something are met by taking the handlebar light off and waving it around.

A headtorch is useful for info controls, mainly because there's less faffage. I've noticed this when I've forgotten it and had to use something else. A headtorch really comes in to its own when you need to do roadside repairs. It's a lot easier to do this with both hands free rather than having to hold a light or wedge it between neck and shoulder.

I have, on a couple of occasions even managed to out navigate GPS, it almost seems like downgrading.

Which is why I dislike auto-routing GPSes or following tracks. I use an old non-mapping GPS that simply gives me a representation of the routesheet. It counts down distance to the next routepoint I've programmed in with the routesheet instruction. It won't ever try and do something clever, and never gets a chance to think for itself. It simply tells me what I've told it to tell me at the preprogrammed points.

It's no magic box though, like a routesheet, it won't stop you missing your turn if you're not looking out for it, but at least it will tell you that the turn is now behind you when you next look at it (unlike a routesheet).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #26 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:06:51 am »
In truth I just prefer routesheets and maps. For some reason I find a printed piece of paper much more appealing. I have, on a couple of occasions even managed to out navigate GPS, it almost seems like downgrading. That aside, I don't have any problems with night navigation other than now illuminating the map and instructions and to that end £100 seems to be quite a lot of money to be spending on what amounts to a map light.

If you separate your routesheets or maps out into single sheets, then mount the sheet above your handlebar-mounted light in something transparent like a map trap, the spill from the light can back-light the map for you.

Personally I think any constant illumination is going to hinder your night-sight - which is why I prefer the fingerlight approach.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:12:08 am »
one very simple approach I've used on many night rides is to clip the route sheet (helps if it's laminated but just in a brevet card envelope is OK) to the two gear cables where they cross; this allows it to be illuminated by the peripheral light from the headlight without blocking the beam

It does involve a lot of going back to get it on bumpy lanes though

and it only works with Shimano STI's...

iakobski

« Reply #28 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:16:03 am »
Quote from: Greenbank link=topic=29448.msg544132#msg544132
[quote author=The Seldom killer link=topic=29448.msg544106#msg544106 date=1265710722
Back to phil d's question, I have tried headtorchs and not got on with them. I didn't like the added weight to the head
Fair enough.
[/quote]

I bought a cheapo led headtorch, of course it's total rubbish compared to a proper one like a petzl. This makes it quite good for reading routesheets, speedo, etc (low glare, no effect on night vision) and also fixing punctures - my main lights are dynamo powered. It's not up to much for seeing the road or even roadsigns at a distance, but that's not what I got it for.

It weighs next to nothing, a few grams over the weight of the batteries.
I fitted the strap through the vents as per GB's suggestion, plus a couple of cable ties so it stays in place. The strap also stays on the helmet permanently, but the light itself comes right off when you open it to change batteries - just the plastic back is fixed to the strap.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:31:18 am »
Personally I think any constant illumination is going to hinder your night-sight - which is why I prefer the fingerlight approach.
Yes, I'm a fan of maintaining my night-vision. I keep my head-torch on the lowest setting, and it only has an effect when I glance down at the routesheet, so this seems to work for me. [Mine needs to be on High to have any pothole-spotting use, but Low is enough for sign-posts, repairs, pee-stops, and looking-like-a-cyclist to oncoming traffic.]
I've never had a problem with the cap peak obscuring the beam, even when not wearing a helmet and wearing a headtorch (I have one for when I leave the helmet at home) on my head (on the cap).
Hmmm... for ages I struggled with the beam being cut-off by my cap's peak when looking down. I even (briefly) tried the torch-under-the peak config. But as I type, I realise I've completed 3 winter 200s and never noticed the problem, so I assume I've adjusted to tilting my head further down when required!
It stays there permanently, even during daylight. (I can't see a reason why I'd worry about it being on there during daylight. One looks odd enough on a bike dressed for Audaxing anyway.)
<obligatory response:>
Don't forget the Shermers Neck problem. Some get it, some don't. Although we lack evidence, IMO a head-torch MUST have some effect on this problem.

Conclusions:

This thread has been really useful. I might try something like the clip-on lights for my routesheet, but I feel the pros-and-cons are still in favour of a basic headtorch and map-trap combo [and laminating routesheets for any long night sections].
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:39:34 am »
I bought a cheapo led headtorch, of course it's total rubbish compared to a proper one like a petzl.

Just to make it clear, despite Petzl making a wide range of lights from very bright caving style lights (good enough to use for navigation alone) down to seemingly cheapo 3-average-LED headtorches for under £10. The Petzl headtorch I use is definitely at the cheapo end of the market, just as the one you describe. Lightweight, not amazingly bright, enough to read routesheets/maps without too much glare and to pick out stuff on the road within 10 yards or so that isn't already illuminated by my main lights.

It weighs next to nothing, a few grams over the weight of the batteries.

You'd be surprised what even a small extra weight can do over the course of a long ride when neck muscles get tired. I think someone on the Randon mailing list tried to link a fair proportion of Shermer's Neck cases in PBP to headtorches attached to helmets.

Where is it...Ah, here: Ultracycling:  Neck Pain

Nope, that's not the one I was thinking of, let me have a dig around...

« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:42:45 am »
I generally try to answer the question that has been asked so have stood this one out so far. I have my light mounted on my fork crowns so it'll not illuminate a routesheet from there, (not mine anyway). If I use a routesheet (it's a personal goal to not use them where possible, forces me to be sociable and to keep up with others, keeps my handlebar uncluttered Nothing but bar tape, hands and brake levers usually) I'll illuminate it using a head torch. I don't ride with the headtorch on all the time, just when I need to illuminate something. Not for general riding. My headtorch is a Energizer one, £10 from Wilkinsons, 2 white LEDs, one red, 2 AAAs IIRC. Cheap enough to lose, get damaged etc. Doesn't get used much anyway, don't need anything better.

« Reply #32 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:46:00 am »
Just added something about Shermer's Neck...

Conclusions:[/b]
This thread has been really useful. I might try something like the clip-on lights for my routesheet, but I feel the pros-and-cons are still in favour of a basic headtorch and map-trap combo [and laminating routesheets for any long night sections].

And headtorches can always be stowed in a bag and used just when required (roadside repairs, etc). They don't *have* to be worn all of the time. If you find a separate map light solution that works then that's good.

I just prefer to use the one solution to multiple problems.

I didn't wear a headtorch for much of LEL as I was confident about the route (I could do the entire stretch for just north of Middleton Tyas to Dalkeith and back without even looking at the GPS or routesheet). The only time it was used (I think) was on the final night from Gamlingay back to the finish. Lanesy route, frequent stops for people with dozies, etc.

I'd be worried about Shermer's Neck on PBP so I won't be wearing a helmet (even without a headtorch). The headtorch will go on whenever I'm riding in the dark as I won't be so confident of navigation (despite planning on using a non-mapping GPS).

« Reply #33 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:49:10 am »

I'd be worried about Shermer's Neck on PBP so I won't be wearing a helmet (even without a headtorch). The headtorch will go on whenever I'm riding in the dark as I won't be so confident of navigation (despite planning on using a non-mapping GPS).
A head torch may prove to be useful for picking out the reflective direction signs on PBP. I don't think I employed mine at all though in 2007. My bike lights were good enough and the rider ahead helped me too.

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 09 February, 2010, 12:00:56 pm »

A head torch may prove to be useful for picking out the reflective direction signs on PBP.

I had one of those Energisers and used it every night for those reflective arrows; it was brilliant; especially on roundabouts and quiet junctions on lanes. I didn't use it for the route sheet though as that was buried in my Carradice (and probably still is)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #35 on: 09 February, 2010, 12:28:45 pm »
I had a little Maglite (or chinese rip off) with a single cell AAA battery and a wrist strap that I used to illuminate my route sheet.  Unfortunately it broke.  Fortunately I have not done any 400s that I did not know  where the route went in the ours of darkness. I must get out more.

« Reply #36 on: 09 February, 2010, 12:33:31 pm »
Something went wrong there and I lost a huge reply.

In short, the dispersal on my front light seems to mitigate the problem Greenbank has when cornering.
I'd consider leaving the light on the helmet, but it's the same one that I use for things like time trials where it's presence would be unwelcome.
For roadside repairs, I usually take the front light off and rest it on a handy piece of ground, stones, other debris, toolbag to illuminate the repairs. Just as good as a headtorch in my experience.
No overspill from my front light through a single page routesheet or map page so that's out.
The clip to the cables thing isn't a possibility as this is where my handlebar bag is.

I don't think Shermer's Neck is going to be a problem, I just don't like it. As those of us who ride fatigued, underfed and possibly cold through the night know, things you don't like can have a very detrimental affect on your riding. Technical solutions should never come at the expense of mental welfare.

« Reply #37 on: 09 February, 2010, 12:34:38 pm »
I'm largely liking the finger lights at the moment. I reckon one of those is going to be my next choice.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2010, 02:20:21 pm »
I recommend letting your stoker look after night-time navigation & picking out sign posts  :smug: (I find it leaves me free to spend all my effort on avoiding darkness enshrouded pot-holes, and so avoid her wrath!  ;) )

Mores srsly though, the pain-in-the-neck articles folks have linked are extremely useful. Very interesting idea to ride my next 200 with cap instead of lid and see how I fair.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »
I fitted an Alpkit headtorch to my helmet specificaly for a night ride to Skeggy a while ago & have not bothered to remove it.
I didn't wear my helmet on Saturday's ride & I wished I had during the last 20 mins because I was struggling to read the routesheet in the gathering dusk.

« Reply #40 on: 28 April, 2010, 03:55:50 pm »
Ended up getting one of these for the Severn Across and when I needed it, it worked pretty well. Alas I did join the A4 posse to it wasn't needed that much but pretty handy.

http://www.the-survival-shop.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/thesurvivalshop/_FINGER001/272894/Fingerlight

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #41 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:06:13 am »
I use a headtorch.  The main problem is I wear it under the peak of the helmet and so the peak can't be used to block the headlights of oncoming cars.

Anyway, to answer the original question I have seen a couple of setups that use incident light from the main headlamp at the front to uplight the map trap.  Some people put some kind of reflector in a place that will shine side light back up.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #42 on: 10 April, 2018, 12:34:27 pm »
Has anyone ever tried putting something like a glowstick or small LED light *inside* the map trap / routesheet plastic bag?

https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/products/nite-ize-led-mini-glowstick-with-0-size-s-biner-white-led
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #43 on: 10 April, 2018, 01:59:57 pm »
Wow, this was a timely thread.  I use a 'Cateye loop' LED over my thumb or finger (not too tight) following a tip years ago from Peter OTP.  When I looked for a link, I noticed that they seemed to be discontinued, being replaced by a 'ladder strap' type thing.  Managed to get one cheap ex-demo, slightly soiled from Evan's.  Almost certainly the very last one in the whole world EVER.  Useful as the replacement for when I next leave mine on the wall outside the Pizza place in Hexham in the early hours of the morning and am too tired to cycle back to get it.

« Reply #44 on: 10 April, 2018, 06:41:21 pm »
I was thinking about this the other week and the solution I came up with was to put the map trap on a handlebar extender seated below the handlebars. Then with the front light on the top of the bars there may be enough of a glow to light the map.

I could of course be talking utter tripe! Its not the first time.

I used this method in the field after my head torch refused action after heavy rain... Worked OK as a bodge but meant I had to lean right over the bars to see the routesheet.

Now I just use a better waterproof head torch set to low. A silva ninox, I believe.

« Reply #45 on: 12 April, 2018, 11:16:04 am »
I use a Petzl e-Lite mounted on my helmet to illuminate my Garmin (maximies battery life and is less dazzling compared to the backlight). It only weighs 26g so you don't notice it at all compared to a bigger head torch.

Despite not being very bright it's fine for illuminating something mounted on your bars.

Only one set of batteries were required for LEL - in fact I don't think I've changed them yet.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #46 on: 12 April, 2018, 11:22:05 am »
Thanks I_B, that looks ideal. Does the "emergency" bit mean anything?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 12 April, 2018, 02:00:52 pm »
Does the "emergency" bit mean anything?

That it's not especially powerful and runs on expensive non-rechargable batteries, presumably.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #48 on: 12 April, 2018, 06:15:59 pm »
Does the "emergency" bit mean anything?

That it's not especially powerful and runs on expensive non-rechargable batteries, presumably.

Not quite.  It means that it's very, very small and very, very lightweight, and so can be included in the corner of any pack, no matter how small, just-in-case-of-emergencies.  And the CR2032 batteries supposedly last for 10 years, so it'll still work as a backup light even without having been refreshed in the meantime.

I have found the old e+lite to be okay on white for setting up camp, but the red lamp is too dim to be useful — red's good for preserving night vision; it's also less-visible if you happen to be hunkered down in the corner of a farmer's field for the night in a bivvy (ssshh).  I've just ordered the updated version to see whether they've improved the red-light source and brightness (product photos indicate they may well have done).

My old 3xAAA Petzls are 65g and 85g for the retractable and full-headband versions.  They are a lot brighter than the e+lite — and a LOT bulkier.  For campsite camping I would take a bigger one; for bike-packing and audax then I'd take just the e+lite.

I've always found it a bit tricky to get headtorches to attach to my hemet so I have a Blackburn Flea 2 bike light on my helmet for audax, or Super Flea for bikepacking, for when I'm riding rather than stopped.

Oh, and waterproof paper with a bulldog clip is MUCH better than either a plastic map trap or normal paper in a baggy in either dark or wet conditions, due to a LOT LESS reflection from the headtorch.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #49 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:08:06 pm »
You can waterproof paper once laser printed with clear lacquer.
Not sure whether ink jet would stop running if lacquered.