Author Topic: Mycyclinglogs  (Read 96132 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Mycyclinglogs
« on: 31 December, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »
It seems to me that many of us are merely posting in the Bikejournal thread out of habit and that Mycyclinglogs is used by more people these days. Mycyclinglogs offers a much better online service to the non-paying member and I propose to use this thread in future to discuss milage/kilometrage matters. I've put it here rather than in Health & Fitness because I feel that it's a more appropriate place.

I've done over 5300 miles in 2011. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Mycyclinglogs
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:57:46 pm »
Splitter ! :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »
I shall sign up in an hour or so for 2012. Is the yacf group open to anyone?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »
We are datalogging swingers.
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:05:14 pm »
You can also be in more than one team at once so are welcome on the CycleChat team if you post there. This year we beat the Aussies of Bicycle Victoria Forums with the help of some YACFers (Eck, Clarion, Vorsprung etc). Last year thr Aussies won. It's the cycling version of the Ashes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »
You're very welcome.  :)

Hope I have more to post next year.  ;)

The Cyclechat top ten is very hard fought, I have to say! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2012, 12:28:07 am »
Ok, what's the group password to join the yacf group?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2012, 12:34:46 am »
I think Auntie Helen has to approve you - if you've been a good boy!

« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2012, 12:36:12 am »
I sent a request so fingers crossed she considers me to have been good!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:19:33 am »
I'm not the admin for the YACF team, someone else is that. I'm the CycleChat admin.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:41:07 am »
So you are! Silly me...

One thought though: we'll all find it easier to reach our annual targets this year because we've an extra day in which ti achieve them!  :D

Edit: It's tom_e

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:51:09 am »
I stopped using mycyclinglogs as it was out of order for a long time (days) in late July last year

Also when I stopped using it and I tried to export my data, the bike use information is not exportable.  It will give you a spreadsheet of miles but not with a column for "which bike"

After this I flirted with Strava for a while.  Strava takes gps tracklogs and uses them for "automatically" entering your rides.  It was very convenient, I just had to press a few buttons on my android phone.  However, either because of the inherent way that gps works and records on short rides or the phones lack of facilities or problems with the Strava software there were often annoying little discrepancies with the altitude or the distance.

I was a bikejournal user for several years but they were always beset with problems.  Part of the bikejournal problems were probably due to me being here in the UK and the bikejournal server being over there in the US.

Before that I used another site that was unreliable, uk based, don't remember the name

I haven't logged any rides since PBP

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:54:14 am »
The password for yacf on mycyclinglog is: 982701
(the search on the forum kind of works)

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

plum

« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:56:47 am »
I used to use that site, must be a couple of years ago, and it was so unreliable that I gave up. As in downtime of several days at a stretch, very frequent periods of several hours downtime. Has that been put right now?

Oh, vorsprung said it while I was typing.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:58:48 am »
I've found it much more reliable than Bikejournal. I've been logging my miles there for a couple for years.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:00:03 am »
It's been overall pretty reliable, as long as you don't usetheir bulk import feature which screws up the dates. There have been very short periods of outage and the one longer stretch that Vorsprung mentioned but it's way better than Cyclogs was.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #16 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:03:37 am »
I didn't know it had had some downtime in July, probably because I was in Scotland at the time, building up my miles, and didn't try to log any!

« Reply #17 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:07:30 am »
Mycyclinglogs has been pretty reliable for me over the last year.  I started using it because Bikejournal appeared to be on its last legs.  Having said that - Bikejournal has also been OK recently.

That's done it  :demon:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #18 on: 01 January, 2012, 04:02:54 pm »
How does one find the code for ones 'status', as per Auntie Helen's sig?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #19 on: 01 January, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »
Just signed up.  I'm hoping that it will provide some post Christmas motivation.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #20 on: 01 January, 2012, 05:44:33 pm »
How does one find the code for ones 'status', as per Auntie Helen's sig?
There's a post on CycleChat about this:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-do-i-get-a-mycyclinglog-ticker-in-my-signature.91272/#post-1633543

You just need to check the gid (group ID) of someone here for the YACF team ID.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21 on: 01 January, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »
Cheers.  Just tried it but there was an error, said something about 'not found, try after database update'.  I only singed up this morning, so I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »
Yep that might be it, it doesn't sample the data that regularly (Lock's tracker was one of the things that caused a MCL outage a while ago as it was hitting the MCL server a bit too frequently. He toned it down a bit).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »
I've been considering using one of these things this year as it might provide an incentive to "get some rides in" when feeling lazy or rained-upon (I don't mind cold, but I'm not keen on cycling when it's both cold and wet). Then again, it might just prove embarrassing when it shows how little I've actually ridden.  ::-) Bikejournal looks both a bit more geeky, which is offputting to me, and more clubby or forumy. Just looking at My cycling Log I can see two groups listed at the bottom - cycle Chat and Yacf! But what's this gumpf at the side about CO2 emissions and savings? Smells like bullshit to me, and irrelevant (to me at least) bullshit at that (like the computer I briefly once had which claimed to record calories used)!

Guess I'll wait till I've got a ride to log...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »
I think the CO2 savings is something the yanks do - I suppose substituting their cycle ride for what their SUV would pump out. I leave that tag blank.