Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926128 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8000 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:43:45 am »
Currently watching O Mecanismo, a Brazilian serial about the Petrobras corruption scandal. Juicy.  The names have been changed to avoid come-backs, but not by much, and the actor playing the ex-president looks very like Lula da Silva.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8001 on: 31 March, 2018, 01:40:12 pm »
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared was rather fun, a dark comedy that had some splendid moments and surreal situations.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8002 on: 01 April, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »
Whiplash (on Netflix)

Guardian review said "Jazz drumming – not exactly a subject to get punters queuing round the block, you’d think, but by the climax of this film it’s the most exciting and important subject in the world."

Spot on. Excellent film. Cheesy and cliched in part but that doesn't actually matter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8003 on: 01 April, 2018, 02:31:49 pm »
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared was rather fun, a dark comedy that had some splendid moments and surreal situations.

I quite liked it too, but the book had so much more in it...

There's a sequel on NF where he's a year older and propagating.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8004 on: 02 April, 2018, 05:24:44 pm »
American Made

Lightweight film about bad things going on in Central America, fed by one bloke and a type from the CIA. Based on a true story, according to the blurb. The blurb didn’t say how tenuous the basing was. I did wonder why the oil rigs didn’t report the planes. And some other things.

ian

« Reply #8005 on: 02 April, 2018, 06:49:09 pm »
Ready Player One. I liked it, but it depends on a tolerance for pop-culture references, it runs at about 60 references a minute for most of the movie. I doubt anyone under the age of 35 got most of them. Even I was forced to explain Buckaroo Banzai to my wife, and it can't be done in under 30 minutes and without alcohol. Basically a full-on nostalgia tsunami for people who remember 80s teen movies and a Atari games consoles. The CGI is very awesome on Imax.

« Reply #8006 on: 03 April, 2018, 12:47:45 pm »
The Omega Man

It's a little dated now, you can see its 1970's origins, but it's mostly a good enough film.

After almost 50 years of more modern post-Apocalyptic films, we can see the many mistakes that Charlton Heston makes, although his adversaries are smarter than most modern Zombies, excepting possibly the Resident Evil beasties.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #8007 on: 03 April, 2018, 12:57:25 pm »
Mudbound, which was pretty depressing watching, after seeing a few episodes of Flint Town* on Netflix.

*Follows the Flint police force as they try to er, well, police the town of Flint, which has suffered with huge commercial loss of the car-building industry. And there are 100,000 townsfolk and just 100 police.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #8008 on: 03 April, 2018, 01:25:06 pm »
Isle of Dogs

Bizarre, visually stunning, and very funny.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8009 on: 04 April, 2018, 08:30:05 pm »
Frozen

Since arriving at my friend's house (with children ages 2-11) I have seen this film more times than is necessary and/or advisable (i.e. n > 1).  I am grateful that as the week progresses I will be spending less time in the house.  It's not a bad film, but not good enough to be on permanent repeat.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8010 on: 07 April, 2018, 05:47:55 pm »
A film of Danish poetry interspersed with "cycle racing and other depraved hallucinogenics." This was a prelude to that film about the toughest and most beautiful race in the world (ridden by the toughest and most beautiful riders in the world), the one that's happening tomorrow, beer, cheese, sweat, blood, famous showers, a night on the tiles after a day on the cobbles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Samuel D

« Reply #8011 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:30:56 am »
That Danish film sounds fun, Cudzoziemiec. Where did you manage to find it? I checked Amazon, YouTube, and Vimeo.

60 Cycles is another short, innovative, fascinating old film on cycling. You might like it.

spindrift

« Reply #8012 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:21:57 pm »
Darkest Hour.

Very good indeed, Oldman didn't quite get the voice but was very effective. Stephen Dillane was awesome as Halifax. It was a tiny weeny bit hokey, the infamous tube scene was dreadful cheese and the Calais zoom shot was misjudged. When they kept having montages of Londoners walking in the street I kept getting flashbacks to Notting Hill.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8013 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:29:39 pm »
That Danish film sounds fun, Cudzoziemiec. Where did you manage to find it? I checked Amazon, YouTube, and Vimeo.

60 Cycles is another short, innovative, fascinating old film on cycling. You might like it.
I didn't find it, it was shown at a local semi-arty cinema as an opener to A Sunday in Hell. I'm afraid I've no idea where you'd find it to watch at home.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8014 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:11:13 am »
Finished watching the Spanish serial La Casa de Papel, godawful Netflux title Money Heist.  Great fun and very, very satisfying.

Now trying to get Bella Ciao out of my internal hifi, as it goes round for the n-thousandth time.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8015 on: 15 April, 2018, 06:12:26 pm »
Jungle Book, the latest Live action/CGI version.

It's bloody extraordinary!!  I've never seen CGI like it.  It's beautiful.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8016 on: 15 April, 2018, 07:02:13 pm »
The Night Train to Lisbon

Languid turgidity, with a hint of exotic foreignness. Still, I was in Portugal around those times and it was nice to see the old number plates again.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8017 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:32:06 pm »
Lowering the tone, 'Minions 3'.

I don't care. It made oi larf when I badly needed to.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #8018 on: 15 April, 2018, 11:40:02 pm »
Into the Wild about John McCandless or Alexander Supertramp. Excellent. Stunning photography.

« Reply #8019 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:27:50 am »
Black Panther which I enjoyed.

Isle of Dogs which I also enjoyed. It is ... different. A bit odd. But I liked it.

« Reply #8020 on: 18 April, 2018, 11:41:12 pm »
Just back from The Banff Mountain Film Festival
Good night out, ranging from vignettes to longer stories. One cyclist. One how far in a year type that put me in mind of TG. Some entries for the "never in a million years" thread, but pleasingly not overwhelmingly gnarly or rad. Indeed, amongst the beauty and achievement was rather more humour than i expected. Nearly done now, but worth a look.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8021 on: 19 April, 2018, 08:09:15 am »
Rewatched The North Face, about a pre-war attempt on the Eiger.

« Reply #8022 on: 21 April, 2018, 06:57:28 am »
The lady in the van
I've read the book and wasn't sure how this would make into a film. Surprisingly I think they cut material, and it was still a full feature length film. Gently funny as you'd expect, with Maggie Smith enjoying getting the best out of the role.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8023 on: 21 April, 2018, 01:54:34 pm »
Going back to childhood, and remembering how my father was also a real Fan*: Fantastic Voyage. Enjoyed it.

Read the novelisation by Asimov years ago, but never got round to rewatching the film, for some odd reason. I enjoyed it, but there were so many aspects that leapt out at me.

(click to show/hide)

*In the original sense here, as coined by the Futurians and others. Neither my Dad nor me were ever danes, and I do not use the term sci-fi.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8024 on: 21 April, 2018, 02:23:26 pm »
Man on Fire (2004)

It got quite good ratings and I seem to have acquired it as part of a bundle, so it would have been rude not to watch it.

More effort was put into weird film (digital?) effects than into plot, characterisation or anything to make the viewer care.