Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941633 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8175 on: 02 December, 2018, 02:12:44 pm »
Persuaded MrsT to watch Icarus the other evening then Stop at Nothing the next.  She wasn't keen at the beginning of Icarus - more blokes on bikes - but got drawn in and thoroughly enjoyed it, if that's the word. Stop at Nothing was the natural follow-on.  I'd seen them both before but they were just as riveting second time around.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #8176 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:35:50 pm »
Solo.

It's probably telling that I fell asleep and missed the end and didn't feel a huge urge to rewind (despite having paid £1.99 for the privilege of watching it).

A bit of a weird one, it wasn't, per se, bad (like The Last Jedi was). It had all the parts you'd expect of such a movie, the acting and casting seemed mostly fine, etc. But the result was flat and unengaging, which is a bit of a shame, given Han Solo was such temptingly good source material. In part, I suspect the casting for Han, which while wasn't bad, just lacked Harrison Ford's insouciant rebelliousness and the fact the Disneyfication process ensured there were no rough edges to the character.

That and it was, beyond the Star Wars trimming, a quite dull by-the-numbers heist film. There was no peril to enliven it because we know that Han, Chew and Lando survive (obviously) and it really just explains a story than anyone who's seen the original trilogy already knew without adding anything new. And if you going to rely on a heist film plot, then it needs twists and turns to generate and sustain interest and a will-they-won't-they succeed. Frankly, there'd have been more excitement had Han and Chewie had gone to Tesco to get the ingredients for tacos.

« Reply #8177 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:17:24 pm »
At the ICA today, Cannes Festival winner "The Shoplifters", Japanese film about a dysfunctional family of shoplifters.

Highly recommended. As most Japanese films, with hidden depths and successful blend of entertainment with unspoken social comment. Even has quite explicit sexual scenes as part of the story.

As a further recommendation, the Japanese government was not pleased about the film's success  :demon:

fuzzy

« Reply #8178 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:33:39 pm »
Mars Attacks as part of the Scy Fy Channel Tim Burton season. One of those films I love for its cheesiness and "Only Tim Burton can get away with the excellent crapness of it" crapness :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8179 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:48:33 pm »
I re-watched Project Almanac because I was feeling ill and it was too early for bed.

I've concluded that I like it for the same reason I liked Explorers:  Bunch of odball kids discover something extraordinary and do reckless fumbling SCIENCE with it.  Much like Explorers, it's a film that's best appreciated if you don't see the second half and let your imagination fill in the rest.

rr

« Reply #8180 on: 06 December, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »
I re-watched Project Almanac because I was feeling ill and it was too early for bed.

I've concluded that I like it for the same reason I liked Explorers:  Bunch of odball kids discover something extraordinary and do reckless fumbling SCIENCE with it.  Much like Explorers, it's a film that's best appreciated if you don't see the second half and let your imagination fill in the rest.
That is the only film I've ever been to which actually made people puke. Went with mini, friends and French exchanges, ended up sitting outside minding a group that were either throwing up or felt like they were about to.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8181 on: 06 December, 2018, 05:37:44 pm »
Sully.

Average.  Overplayed the whole enquiry thing. Tom Hanks is good in it as usual.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8182 on: 10 December, 2018, 04:27:04 pm »
No te mueras sin decirme adónde vas - Don't die without telling me where you're going - a quirky Argentinian film about invention, dreams, and two lovers who get reincarnated out of sync. Very satisfying.

« Reply #8183 on: 10 December, 2018, 06:16:38 pm »
Watership Down ,  only the 2nd time I've seen the film, though I've read the book multiple times & still have the Puffin copy I bought at a junior school book fair.

A decent adaptation & no, I didn't cry  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8184 on: 10 December, 2018, 06:36:19 pm »
Peterloo. Grim.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8185 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »
Watership Down ,  only the 2nd time I've seen the film, though I've read the book multiple times & still have the Puffin copy I bought at a junior school book fair.

A decent adaptation & no, I didn't cry  ;)

My son used to refer to the original film as Watered-Down Shit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8186 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:50:37 pm »
It's a generational thing, I think.  Those of us who were born around the beginning of the 80s were exactly the right age to be plonked in front of it as impressionable smalls in the early VHS era by adults who were working on the then-standard assumption[1] that animation implies it's suitable for children.

I have that scene where the warren is cut up into pools of blood by the teeth of excavators permanently burned into my mind, closely followed by the rabbit caught in the snare, and the evil slobbery dogs[2].  Barakta, who was shown it at school without the benefit of audio, just remembers the nasty rabbits with scars.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/WatershipDown

I haven't seen it for years, so I've no idea what it's like for an older viewer.  Especially one without the emotional baggage of experiencing it for the first time as an under-7.

[1] Which dissipated slowly over the 1990s with the rise in popularity of anime and The Simpsons, and ultimately put to rest as South Park entered mainstream consciousness.  It never ceases to amaze me that Ren and Stimpy somehow slipped below the radar.
[2] I had an acute phobia of dogs as a child, so this bit may have been subjective.

« Reply #8187 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:04:35 pm »
There was some pretty warped - if not filthy - stuff in Ren and Stimpy, was there not?

And "animation = suitable for children" - anyone who thinks that has clearly never seen any anime as shown in Japan.  ;D

For example (because I was reminded of it by a conversation I overheard in a shop at the weekend), 'Battle of The Planets' was somewhat watered-down compared to the original 'Science Ninja Team Gatchaman' series, and that's before we even get anywhere near the subject of tentacle pr0n... :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8188 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:10:05 pm »
Not to mention the work of Ralph Bakshi (by which I mean his film of Robert Crumb's Fritz the Cat, not the bizarre rotoscoped LOTR, although that was a bit heavy going for a younger audience).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8189 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »
There was some pretty warped - if not filthy - stuff in Ren and Stimpy, was there not?

And "animation = suitable for children" - anyone who thinks that has clearly never seen any anime as shown in Japan.  :-D

For example (because I was reminded of it by a conversation I overheard in a shop at the weekend), 'Battle of The Planets' was somewhat watered-down compared to the original 'Science Ninja Team Gatchaman' series, and that's before we even get anywhere near the subject of tentacle pr0n... :demon:

Tentacle pr0n has a long & distinguished history in Japan.

From 1814       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream_of_the_Fisherman%27s_Wife#/media/File:Tako_to_ama_retouched.jpg   slightly NSFW I suppose. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream_of_the_Fisherman%27s_Wife

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8190 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:24:44 pm »
The Most Unknown on Netflix.

IMDB summary:
The Most Unknown is an epic documentary film that sends nine scientists to extraordinary parts of the world to uncover unexpected answers to some of humanity's biggest questions. How did life begin? What is time? What is consciousness? How much do we really know? By introducing researchers from diverse backgrounds for the first time, then dropping them into new, immersive field work they previously hadn't tackled, the film reveals the true potential of interdisciplinary collaboration, pushing the boundaries of how science storytelling is approached. What emerges is a deeply human trip to the foundations of discovery and a powerful reminder that the unanswered questions are the most crucial ones to pose.

I like the end product, but think it would have worked even better as a series.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #8191 on: 15 December, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »
Peterloo, Bohemian Rhapsody.  My 2 film allowance for 2018, but budget bust because I saw Churchill too. 

CBA wasting good fettling time driving an hour each way and sitting in a black, stuffy hole, being assaulted by people who must munch on crackly snacks.  Why do they need to do it?

So, I only see films I really want to see.  Otherwise I'll wait until they pop up on TV in a couple of years. And I don't have to tolerate 20 minutes of mindless advertising and eardrum-busting noise, which would be illegal in a work environment.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8192 on: 16 December, 2018, 10:43:56 pm »
Yesterday on BBC2 an absolute classic - The IPCRESS File. Love it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8193 on: 16 December, 2018, 10:51:11 pm »
The Usual Suspects.

Still great.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8194 on: 17 December, 2018, 02:32:48 pm »
Free Solo.
Man climbs thing, doesn't fall off. The end.
People who struggle to answer the question why they want to cycle x hundred kilometers might appreciate aspects of this.
I really enjoyed it in spite of very sweaty palms!

« Reply #8195 on: 17 December, 2018, 03:05:36 pm »
Darkest hour again, with my Mum (3yro in 1940).  GO is superb.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #8196 on: 17 December, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »
Shoplifters
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ian

« Reply #8197 on: 21 December, 2018, 09:27:49 pm »
Predator, which was a lot better than it should have been without being especially good. The Meg, which benefitted from full-on Stath and a big shark. Enjoyable hokum. The Equalizer part deux, which holds up my theory that your life's mission should be to not piss off Denzel.
(click to show/hide)

I would have watched more, but I was in the inadvertent company of the world's most drunken Irish man. By mid-flight he was slurring so much I was honestly looking for the subtitles option for him.

Chris S

« Reply #8198 on: 21 December, 2018, 09:30:41 pm »
Gremlins (1984).

It has not aged well.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8199 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:22:08 am »
Mary Poppins - the new one.

It's practically perfect in every way ... although there wasn't a song that you hummed on the way home.   

Emily Blunt is superb with a "Princess Margaret" accent ... and Dick Van Dyke's cameo is brilliant.  Shame that Julie Andrews refused a cameo as the balloon lady - despite a £1 million offer.

Rob