Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625705 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6100 on: 04 March, 2015, 05:23:41 pm »
A link is what I wanted to send - and thought it would - but it didn't give me that option.  ??? Several hundred of Mb not 80kb though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6101 on: 04 March, 2015, 06:26:40 pm »
A link is what I wanted to send - and thought it would - but it didn't give me that option.  ??? Several hundred of Mb not 80kb though.

Hmm, that sounds like Something Isn't Right.  To do the link thing on a Windows machine I drag and drop the file that I wish to share to dropbox/public. Right click on the file, select "copy public link". Write an email, Ctrl V to paste link. It does take a while to sync (read: upload) the drag and dropped file to the dropbox bit of cloud, but once it's there it's a doddle.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6102 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »
^And as the grateful recipient of one of Mr  Hall's links, I can confirm that it was indeed a doddle.

Took a while to download, mind.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6103 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:26:21 pm »
I didn't want to zip them because I suspect they're going to zipped and unzipped millions of times and they're only just legible as it is - very spidery handwriting.
Zip is losslss. You can zip and unzip  as much as you wish. Now, opening and saving JPEGs is the 'make it awful' thing.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6104 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:41:52 pm »
Zips. Now there's something to grumble about.  I have a collection of perfectly good jerseys with buggered zips, and having them replaced costs as much as a new one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6105 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:50:20 pm »
I didn't want to zip them because I suspect they're going to zipped and unzipped millions of times and they're only just legible as it is - very spidery handwriting.
Zip is losslss. You can zip and unzip  as much as you wish. Now, opening and saving JPEGs is the 'make it awful' thing.
Or even lsslss.  :) But even zipped, it would have to be lots of emails to avoid exceeding the 25MB attachment limit. I have 48 scans of about 7MB each. Anyway, worked out the Dropbox thing now. I think.  :-\ It's quicker than attachments, in fact.

« Reply #6106 on: 04 March, 2015, 11:16:29 pm »
Zips. Now there's something to grumble about.  I have a collection of perfectly good jerseys with buggered zips, and having them replaced costs as much as a new one.

This:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-41923-400mm-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B000TOFOSU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0

For zip fixing magic. Best used before you rip the thing to shreds out of frustration.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6107 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:57:48 am »

This:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-41923-400mm-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B000TOFOSU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0

For zip fixing magic. Best used before you rip the thing to shreds out of frustration.

Sticky zips aren't my gripe, it's sliders that fall apart. And the zip on my soft shell tights that popped open spontaneously and is impossible to resynch.

We did have a gentille dame in the club who used to fix them for nothing, but alas she's moved on.  When I mention it to the T&S she gives me a route map to the sewing machine.

essexian

« Reply #6108 on: 05 March, 2015, 02:03:12 pm »
Mordor Central…..do I need to say anymore?

Oh, I do, do I…..okay. Oi, Mordor Central get your act together! I accept that trains NEVER arrive on time at our platforms but your refit is a complete nightmare! For example, you have closed off the nice and simple exit at the “C” end of the platforms meaning a much longer walk to get to Hill Street….when you can find the correct exit! There seems to be 427 different exits and none of them stay in the same place from week to week (I am sure they move them overnight just to make it confusing to us out of towners.

And what’s this about a “new bright station…” Yes, covering everything in white panels will make it look brighter but it’s still a dungeon down there at platform level.

I have travelled a lot on the UK train network and can say that Mordor Central is the worst station going!

fuzzy

« Reply #6109 on: 05 March, 2015, 03:30:04 pm »
So, Mordor Central exits are like Hogwarts stairs then?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6110 on: 05 March, 2015, 03:40:20 pm »
I think you'll find that Mordor Central currently only has two exits:  The one that leads you to the crowd of smokers adjacent to the building site that is Stephenson Street, and the one that leads you to the stairs / other-way vehicle ramp down to the building site that is Hill Street.  Any other exits are illusions designed to create turbulence in the crowd flow through the station, and inevitably lead to either an alarmed emergency exit, or yet another white-panelled corridor.

Elfin Safe Tea means they can't actually do anything about the dungeon, other than changing the light fittings and installing some new lifts and escalators.

But come September there will be all manner of exciting new retail opportunities!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6111 on: 05 March, 2015, 03:42:48 pm »
I'm never quite sure whether Mordor Central is underground because it's actually below ground level or just because it has such magnificent retail opps above it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6112 on: 05 March, 2015, 03:48:52 pm »
I'm never quite sure whether Mordor Central is underground because it's actually below ground level or just because it has such magnificent retail opps above it.

The latter.

It used to look like this:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6113 on: 05 March, 2015, 05:50:41 pm »

Note the absence of dead pheasants.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6114 on: 05 March, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »
What the Luftwaffe couldn't destroy, the forward-thinking 1960s town planners achieved with aplomb. Snow Hill is the same on a smaller scale. Moor Street is still rather nice.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6115 on: 05 March, 2015, 06:22:31 pm »
Just lost my job. Bugger. Not good timing.

Had an interview today. Spent the morning worrying and getting psyched up. Somehow, between applying for the role and getting called for interview they changed the spec. So I rock up expecting a tech test on skills X, Y and Z but they launch into in-depth questions on A and B. Yes, I can do A and B, but there's a damn good reason why they're not listed as key skills on my CV. Interviewer: "yes, I see A and B are not listed as your key skills... we don't need XYZ any more" Well why the hell did you ask me for interview then???
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6116 on: 05 March, 2015, 07:49:12 pm »
Maybe because you might be able to A&B sufficintly for them and they couldn't find anyone better?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6117 on: 06 March, 2015, 01:03:13 am »

Note the absence of dead pheasants.

Kim's pic looks quite nice, like a proper station.

Should I have been looking for dead pheasants?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6118 on: 06 March, 2015, 01:48:04 am »
But come September there will be all manner of exciting new retail opportunities!
Presumable to satisfy the survival needs of those unable to find the exits or are the retailers of the B ark type - You really need another Mobile phone vendor or three.

i was going to add something of my own here, but I think I'm heading into full rant mode.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6120 on: 06 March, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »
Just lost my job. Bugger. Not good timing.

Had an interview today. Spent the morning worrying and getting psyched up. Somehow, between applying for the role and getting called for interview they changed the spec. So I rock up expecting a tech test on skills X, Y and Z but they launch into in-depth questions on A and B. Yes, I can do A and B, but there's a damn good reason why they're not listed as key skills on my CV. Interviewer: "yes, I see A and B are not listed as your key skills... we don't need XYZ any more" Well why the hell did you ask me for interview then???
Been there . . . though many years ago. Turned up for the interview, questioned about what I thought were peripheral matters, going by the job spec I'd been sent, & some things not on either the job spec or my CV. Queried it. "Oh, we upgraded the job requirement after inviting you for interview but we thought we'd still give you a chance to get it" - without asking me if I'd want it! I'd never have applied for the job I was being interviewed for, because I knew (as turned out) that I wouldn't get it - & rightly so, because I didn't know too bloody much of what was needed to do it! Wasted a whole day, & lost me a day of pay at contract rates, plus travelling.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6121 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:02:26 pm »
Maybe because you might be able to A&B sufficintly for them and they couldn't find anyone better?

Yes, I probably can (and am quite happy to as a secondary responsibility), but just like Bledlow if I'd known they were the main job I'd not have applied. They are legacy skills many years out of support - I'm not old enough yet to leave myself unemployable.

Never mind, I have an interview lined up with a government department in Cambridge Circus  :o
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6122 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:11:31 pm »
Keep Smileying.

« Reply #6123 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »
I once travelled from York to Dundee to interview for a 6month contract. Dead cheap to get to and all that, Agency gave me a brief on what company wanted.
Arrived, presented my spiel, showed examples of previous similar work, talked about approaches, working methodology. At the end of all that they said "But we don't want someone to do that."

Over £100 in train fares utterly wasted. Effing agency had altered client requirements to fit my experience and strengths and told me a load of bullshit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6124 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:24:00 pm »
The clear plastic used in IKEA picture frames can generate enough static anbarism to pull your beard off your face.  This morning I looked like a Hawkwind roadie; now I've turned into Yul Brynner :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime