Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625670 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13625 on: 20 August, 2021, 08:51:25 pm »
It's a taste of things to come. We might have to get used to chowing down on cassava. Yum.

That's the slower change though. Extreme and acute weather events can cause significant stress both short and long term. I've seen quite a few heavily lodged cereal fields this summer from the rain, which will hit harvests.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13626 on: 20 August, 2021, 09:53:48 pm »
Cassava is kind of tasteless but it feeds a lot of people. At the moment at least.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13627 on: 21 August, 2021, 10:21:06 am »
Went to next village on MrsT's hybrid (if that's English for VTC) to get some ice cream. Damn thing's sticky-out platform pedals with no cleats or toe-hooks kept banging my shins.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13628 on: 21 August, 2021, 11:12:48 am »
Someone in my building has applied to have post held at the delivery office and the post office are doing it for the whole building. I just collected an armful of stuff after seeing something funny on the tracking.

ian

« Reply #13629 on: 22 August, 2021, 06:35:57 pm »
Sorting through some old paperwork for disposal because I'm the sort of guy who knows how to have fun when he's left alone for the weekend. I found not one, but two, cheques for the princely sum of £90 from our insurer for some kind of overpayment. Probably out of date. I had read the letters I'd assumed they would do something reasonable like pay the money back into the account they take the payment from, not squirrel away a cheque in the six pages of legalise bumpf. Twats.

Double twats for their excellent customer service the other day when I phoned them to ask about the hike in our premiums. We don't do discounts they say, apparently, if I want a better deal I should go somewhere else. I believe that's a customer service fuck off. Which we promptly did. Really not sure how that's a win for them but we're about £400 better off. Congrats Legal & General. Twats.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13630 on: 22 August, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
Sorting through some old paperwork for disposal because I'm the sort of guy who knows how to have fun when he's left alone for the weekend. I found not one, but two, cheques for the princely sum of £90 from our insurer for some kind of overpayment. Probably out of date. I had read the letters I'd assumed they would do something reasonable like pay the money back into the account they take the payment from, not squirrel away a cheque in the six pages of legalise bumpf. Twats.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=120018.0

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13631 on: 23 August, 2021, 09:37:48 am »
Oi Biggles. And your mate.
A. You're not supposed to fly at low level directly over the town.
B. And three times?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #13632 on: 23 August, 2021, 11:46:36 am »
I've just listened (well, not 'just'; over the last week or so) to the first two (excellent) books in Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy and between me buying the first two, excellently read by Peter Firth, they've removed the third from sale and now I can only get it on Pre-Order, read by Simon Russel Beale.
a) the book came out in 1995. Pre-Order?
b) I bet some names are now pronounced wrong
c) I HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13633 on: 23 August, 2021, 11:56:58 am »
Is the third part The Ghost Road? It's the best of the three!

« Reply #13634 on: 23 August, 2021, 12:13:02 pm »
SHUT UP

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13635 on: 25 August, 2021, 08:36:42 am »
Really the best!

---o0o---

My grumble: got a bloody club committee meeting this evening, at the top of a bloody great hill in the forest. It's in a restaurant so we get free nosh on the club's ticket, but my eyes are terrible for driving in the dark these days.

« Reply #13636 on: 25 August, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »
Jay's Yorkshire Workshop - A telly program.

The misuse of guarding on the machinery, lack of dust extraction and downright dangerous practice is winding me up more than odd choice of techniques and mistakes they are making.  :( :( :(

I ought to just turn the telly off. :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13637 on: 29 August, 2021, 08:38:59 am »
I'm WFH in Romania mainly on account of August in Romania being reliably dry and sunny and the UK being gloomy and wet.

So BH weekend, it's coming down in sheets and the forecast is "MeteoAlarm: Disruption due to thunderstorms". Even if it stops briefly I've brought no mudguards. And in the UK? Bah. I could just relax, drink beer and watch some films, but apart from a small handful, Amazon Prime says "You can't watch that, you're in a different country".
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #13638 on: 29 August, 2021, 11:08:38 am »
I'm WFH in Romania mainly on account of August in Romania being reliably dry and sunny and the UK being gloomy and wet.

So BH weekend, it's coming down in sheets and the forecast is "MeteoAlarm: Disruption due to thunderstorms". Even if it stops briefly I've brought no mudguards. And in the UK? Bah. I could just relax, drink beer and watch some films, but apart from a small handful, Amazon Prime says "You can't watch that, you're in a different country".

First World problem.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13639 on: 29 August, 2021, 06:28:06 pm »
Bloody C4 ent showing the Belgian GP until hours 20:00.  The bastards.  I'll just have to make do with the touring cars from Thruxton.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13640 on: 29 August, 2021, 06:38:30 pm »
Bloody C4 ent showing the Belgian GP until hours 20:00.  The bastards.  I'll just have to make do with the touring cars from Thruxton.
There’s less than 10 MINUTES of actual track ‘action’ and that all took place behind the safety car. Rained off but 2 laps had to be run for a race to be declared.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13641 on: 29 August, 2021, 07:06:43 pm »
They lied to me!  They lied in their EPG.  It said 20:00.  It still says 20:00.  And it’s been recording for 35 minutes.  The liars.

Edit: except it’s recording something that isn’t F1.  Sort it out u muppets!

Also I forgot ITV had today’s BRITISH Moto GP live.  Arseburgers.

« Reply #13642 on: 29 August, 2021, 08:53:06 pm »
Well my box started the recording at 8…….
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13643 on: 29 August, 2021, 09:24:12 pm »
Well my box started the recording at 8…….

Mine did too, but only after I'd killed the recording of “A Place In The Sun” and reëducated it in the fine art of doing as it’s bloody well told.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13644 on: 30 August, 2021, 08:44:18 pm »
The first of the weeks many takeaway deliveries and we got the wrong order (oh look, Brewdog again).
Not only wrong but a) chicken (I don't eat chicken 'out' as a rule) and b) battered and deep fried which gives Pingu the boak.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13645 on: 30 August, 2021, 10:49:54 pm »
The wings were better than I expected. The chicken in batter 'burger' was too fatty for me thobut and the fat infected the bun  :sick:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13646 on: 31 August, 2021, 11:23:17 am »
Bank web site just informed me that in future I'd have to use their phone app to confirm purchases otherwise <Voice of God>paying for stuff would shortly become a lot more complex than it already was</VoG>, so I obediently hied to the Great Satan's app store & downloaded the same. The thing is a vile can of worms, taking half an hour to set up with multiple text messages & codes to be entered. I then have to set up my phone for unlocking via fingerprint & PIN, turning round three times, scratching my arse and touching wood. No, not that.

Shit upon them. Wassat? Oh, I have to enter my PIN first.

« Reply #13647 on: 31 August, 2021, 09:58:30 pm »
Opened front door to go out, and there was a puddle on the door sill (under the closed door) and it hasn't been raining.  The children asked why, and I said "I presume one of you dripped there on your return from swimming lessons earlier - can you get some kitchen towel please?"

On wiping it up and smelling it, I realised it was cat's piss  :sick:

It appears that one of the neighbourhood menaces has now decided to scent mark my front door!  The spray on the door and dribbles down was clear on further investigation.

A change from a few years ago when I had to daily pick up the turds (and on arrival home in the dark frequently stood in them and walked them indoors).  Fortunately whichever cat that was, which I never traced but have suspicions (based on watching it defecate on the back lawn) has changed habits.

Door cleaned, disinfected, and anti-cat toilet training powder applied all over the front doorstep area.    Dead blackbird also removed from back garden.

FFS cat owners, they are your pets, keep them in your premises and not mine.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13648 on: 31 August, 2021, 10:04:40 pm »
We have cats and the local unneutered toms still came and pissed on our door. Which obviously freaked our cats out.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13649 on: 01 September, 2021, 08:41:09 am »
We got cats pissing on our doorstep while we still had the dogs. Cheeky bastards.