Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625850 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16175 on: 25 May, 2023, 04:19:25 pm »
Gosh, I'm in tech grumble mode today! When I've finished a document for work, it usually has to be uploaded to a specific site. If I've written it, that's that, but if I've edited it, I have to give feedback, which can be general or detailed. Feedback or 'evaluation' has to be given before the document can be officially delivered. But today with one job, the system went into a sort of Mobius loop Catch 22 situation where not only required feedback before the document could be officially delivered but also wouldn't let me leave feedback until it had been delivered! So I attached it to an email instead...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #16176 on: 26 May, 2023, 07:41:38 am »
Saturday: neighbour A mows his lawn, then neighbour B mows his lawn, then neighbour C mows his lawn, then neighbour D mows his lawn, then neighbour E mows his lawn, then neighbour F mows his lawn, then neighbour G mows his lawn...  I wish the buggers would synchronize and do them all at the same time.
(sorry for delayed response)
Sounds like there’s just one lawnmower between them.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16177 on: 26 May, 2023, 08:32:21 am »
Saturday: neighbour A mows his lawn, then neighbour B mows his lawn, then neighbour C mows his lawn, then neighbour D mows his lawn, then neighbour E mows his lawn, then neighbour F mows his lawn, then neighbour G mows his lawn...  I wish the buggers would synchronize and do them all at the same time.
(sorry for delayed response)
Sounds like there’s just one lawnmower between them.

And a cultivator or three.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #16178 on: 27 May, 2023, 07:53:10 pm »
My train into Chelt Spa is due to arrive 8 minutes ago.
My train out of Chelt Spa is due to leave now.
My train into Chelt Spa is in fact just passing through Gloucester.

Sigh.

And an 8 minute change morphes into an hour and a half. An apology might have softened the blow.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ian

« Reply #16179 on: 27 May, 2023, 09:40:26 pm »
You can’t build character out of apologies.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16180 on: 27 May, 2023, 10:10:46 pm »
I’ve just decided I’ll nip down to the local shop for some beer as I really fancy a glass of beer. The shop shut 10 minutes ago >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16181 on: 28 May, 2023, 07:58:53 am »
I’ve just decided I’ll nip down to the local shop for some beer as I really fancy a glass of beer. The shop shut 10 minutes ago >:(

It was the work of a moment to grow some hops and malt some barley...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #16182 on: 28 May, 2023, 11:11:34 am »
Are they at least in key?
 ;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16183 on: 28 May, 2023, 02:49:21 pm »
Are they at least in key?
 ;D

They don't need to be, they only ever play Stockhausen.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16184 on: 01 June, 2023, 04:39:07 pm »
What the fuck is up with Indeed? I've just received four emails in five minutes inviting me to apply for jobs via Indeed. The emails are written in a way so as to make it look like they're from the employers concerned, but they come from an address "invitetoapply@indeed.com". I wouldn't mind if they were at least relevant, but one of them is for a motability customer service rep and another is for a cakesmith. The latter bringing to mind this situation:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16185 on: 03 June, 2023, 01:47:35 pm »
OK, I'll apologise for boring you with a trivial domestic moan but
Can you two ever use a cup or plate more than once?  As the day progresses the kitchen work tops fill with yet more that you are constantly bringing down.  Why don't you ever wash them?
Probably because the fairies finally get tired of it and do it for you.
And
AND
It's a bazillion degrees out there and there isn't a cloud in the sky, just as it has been for over a week now.  So why the F is the bloody tumble dryer on?

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #16186 on: 03 June, 2023, 01:56:52 pm »
Ah, the fine weather tumble-dryers. Our neighbours are such. At least the (relatively) new ones on the left do have a line now as well. The previous residents never did, but at least they, unlike the current ones, didn’t use those “fresh” smelling sheets that are enough to make me gag. And to be fair to our close neighbour on the right she does also have a line, but it only ever sees bedding and towels. The rest, tumble dried.

We don’t possess a tumble dryer, for several reasons. We only have room for one appliance, and combined washer/dryers are reportedly THE most unreliable piece of domestic equipment. Plus they’re hugely expensive for a decent one. And the clothes come out feeling and smelling horrid, even sans anti-static sheets compared to those air dried, be that outside or in extremes over a radiator.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16187 on: 03 June, 2023, 02:18:19 pm »
We had a tumble dryer (or two) when all three children were at primary school,  it not since the last one moved to high school. We do have a creil in the kitchen, but the eldest oft complained of her clothes smelling of cooking. We’ve always had a line or a whirlly thing outside though, and that has always been the first choice for drying.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16188 on: 03 June, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »
We don’t possess a tumble dryer, for several reasons. We only have room for one appliance, and combined washer/dryers are reportedly THE most unreliable piece of domestic equipment. Plus they’re hugely expensive for a decent one. And the clothes come out feeling and smelling horrid, even sans anti-static sheets compared to those air dried, be that outside or in extremes over a radiator.

We have one. As flat-dwellers, line drying is a luxury we don't have, though the dryer part only gets used in emergencies (dehumidifier is the usual solution). I think it's handy in that sort of situation - a standalone dryer wouldn't get enough use to justify the space it takes up.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16189 on: 03 June, 2023, 02:49:18 pm »
What the fuck is up with Indeed? I've just received four emails in five minutes inviting me to apply for jobs via Indeed. The emails are written in a way so as to make it look like they're from the employers concerned, but they come from an address "invitetoapply@indeed.com". I wouldn't mind if they were at least relevant, but one of them is for a motability customer service rep and another is for a cakesmith. The latter bringing to mind this situation:

Alas, that reminds me of an old cycling chum I haven't seen for years. I saw a pic of him today and he must be tipping the 100 kg.  Sad.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16190 on: 03 June, 2023, 05:33:05 pm »
OK, I'll apologise for boring you with a trivial domestic moan but
Can you two ever use a cup or plate more than once?  As the day progresses the kitchen work tops fill with yet more that you are constantly bringing down.  Why don't you ever wash them?
Probably because the fairies finally get tired of it and do it for you.
And
AND
It's a bazillion degrees out there and there isn't a cloud in the sky, just as it has been for over a week now.  So why the F is the bloody tumble dryer on?

I'd argue those aren't trivial, they're infuriating.

We once lived with a "use a zillion crockeries/culteries" person who never washed up. Kitchen was knee deep in half manky and half barely used items that no one washed unless we did it and Kim and I never had access to clean stuff for ourselves.

I lost my shit after asking nicely a lot and outright banned the culprit from using a set number of crockery/cutlery items so we ALWAYS had clean ones and made them put their dirty stuff in their own washing up bowl. Suddenly Culprit realised the nasty kitchen mess monster was themself! Kim realised Culprit was using the banned cutlery/crockery but always washed it up and put it away, so Kim kept quiet cos that still solved the problem of us never having clean stuff when we wanted it and us having to do more than our fair share of cleaning.

Also using tumble drier is very expensive and wasteful, especially if they are not paying the bill.

« Reply #16191 on: 03 June, 2023, 06:02:32 pm »
For years, the younger lot have been doing their own laundry.

Always drying in the tumble drier.

Used to do my head in. We had two washing lines, one of them they had to walk past to get to the laundry room.

They've learnt, but it took bloody long enough!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16192 on: 05 June, 2023, 07:18:44 pm »
Someone's stolen my phone in tescos this afternoon. I went to the Vodafone store in Slough and they lent me a phone so I could report the phone stolen. It took the call handler over a hour to find my account then wanted to send me a security text to my phone for verification purposes. I gently explained to her that MY Phone Has Been STOLON  ::-). After more delay and repeated security questions they have stopped the phone from being used and said they would send my a replacement sim card tomorrow. I have just received a text from them saying that the sim will not be dispatched tomorrow and apologies for the delay  :hand:
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16193 on: 05 June, 2023, 08:48:53 pm »
That's awful Chris. I hope they send the new sim card pronto and that you can get a new phone.

« Reply #16194 on: 07 June, 2023, 02:49:25 pm »
I got a letter today about some planned roadworks on the A27 near me.
The roadworks finished on 20th.
The letter was posted on 10th, in darkest Kent (Maidstone).
I’m not sure why they’re spending money on letters, and even less sure why they’re spending money with the Royal Mail when the service is this shitty.

We got our first delivery since that one today. 28 personally addressed items, including various from solicitors, the bank, tax-man and birthday cards - that we might plausibly have wanted sooner.

« Reply #16195 on: 07 June, 2023, 06:48:22 pm »
The sins arrived this morning and I was expecting a call from Vodafone to set up the phone this afternoon. I got a text saying that it would take up to 4 days for the sim to arrive and they will phone me to set it up on Monday. I will have to borrow the wife's phone and moan at them in the morning  :hand:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #16196 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:37:48 pm »
BBC, et al: a legal e-bike has a motor of 250W and a programmed maximum speed of 25Km/h (15.5MPH).

Something that scrotes ride round on capable of speeds grossly in excess of said limit, and, almost certainly, not powered by a 250W motor, is legally a motorbike, so please to be referring to them as such, thank you.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16197 on: 08 June, 2023, 10:53:42 pm »
BBC, et al: a legal e-bike has a motor of 250W and a programmed maximum speed of 25Km/h (15.5MPH).

Something that scrotes ride round on capable of speeds grossly in excess of said limit, and, almost certainly, not powered by a 250W motor, is legally a motorbike, so please to be referring to them as such, thank you.

To be fair:
a) "illegal e-bike" gives a more accurate mental image of what they were riding than "motorcycle" or "electric motorcycle" or "non-compliant motorcycle".
b) BBC et. al are unlikely to report on the legality or otherwise of the bike in question until the police give a statement to that effect.
c) "e-bike" is still technically if not legally correct, in that it's electric and it's a bicycle.

I also note that the theme of the reporting seems to be very much "police are killing oiks by chasing them with motor vehicles" rather than the "electric bicycles are a deathtrap" you might otherwise expect.

« Reply #16198 on: 09 June, 2023, 07:30:05 am »
Yebbut, 'electric motorcycle' would conjure up the image of something that you can't just buy down the nearest branch of Evans. Electric motorcycles are clearly deathtraps in the wrong hands and on public roads.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16199 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:17:51 am »
Is this still about the Cardiff incident? I haven't seen photos of what they were riding but there are certainly plenty of yooves on electric motorbikes with no registration etc round here, usually pulling wheelies through red lights. When I say "electric motorbikes" I mean both in styling (like a trail motorbike) and in absence of pedals. I presume they're sold as "not for road use" thus falling into the same lack-of-legislation gap as e-scooters.