Off Topic > The Pub

The Last 125

(1/10) > >>

Jaded:
Left Paddington today. (on the GWR routes, they will, I understand, be carrying on in other, apparently not so important areas like The North and Scotland)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48327739

These trains are wonderful. Dirty and smelly and aged, I'm sure, but that's how we all end up.

I remember seeing my first one, from Arthur's Seat in 1976. An unearthly whistling noise as a set pulled into Waverley. They were stable and reliable, and one of them is very, very dear to my heart. It will be sad when they are not around any more. I hope to see some up North.

yorkie:
GWR will be retaining 11 (I think) short sets with 4 passenger vehicles instead of 8 or 9 for the Cardiff - Penzance route to operate (reasonably) local stopping services. These have been modified with sliding doors and retention toilets to bring them in line with current and future accessibility standards. The sets retained by Cross Country (and recently obtained for long-term use by ScotRail) have had the same modifications.

LNER will carry on using their unmodified HSTs until they have sufficient Azumas to replace them. East Midlands Trains will likewise keep their unmodified HSTs until a future order for new trains (yet to be announced) has entered service to replace them.

Kim:
Chiltern have some HSTs as well.  Came as a bit of a surprise when I found myself on one.

hatler:
What is going to be used on the un-electrified section west of Exeter then?

(Is the route even electrified as far as Exeter ?)

I was on one of these from Paddington to Bodmin on the recent BH weekend.  I had no idea they were about to disappear from that route.

hatler:
And in Lostwithiel, when I last looked, there was still a chap in a signal box pulling levers attached to rods and wires and stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version