Author Topic: Today for lunch I am having...  (Read 63901 times)

Re: Today for lunch I am having...
« Reply #175 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:02:45 pm »
Three digestive biscuits and a slice of Christmas cake.  Well at least the cake has fruit in it ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #176 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
For most of this year I've been bringing homemade soup into work for lunch, usually variations on "Parsnip and something" soup. Freezer stocks are starting to run low so this weekend will hopefully include a batch to replenish, along with maybe some home baked bread too.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #177 on: 06 February, 2016, 03:33:52 pm »
I had a very hipster lunch today: sourdough toast with avocado, and one of those Icelandic protein yogurts.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #178 on: 06 February, 2016, 08:54:31 pm »
...one of those Icelandic protein yogurts.

Is that what fermented shark becomes if you leave it for long enough?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #179 on: 10 February, 2016, 12:35:15 pm »
Brown breadcakes with pastrami, cornichon and mayo.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #180 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:38:46 pm »
Today's lunch consisted of mushrooms, scrambled egg, smoked salmon and a slice of home-made bread.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #181 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:00:46 am »
Cajun roast pork, Paul Prudhomme's recipe.  Lots of pepper whereof cayenne of that ilk, paprika, garlic, thyme, oregano, chopped green peppers, red peppers & onions ditto, more garlic, rubbed into slots à la Orloff and slow-roasted for n hours where n varies according to when you remember to start prep. Also rubbed the meat with lemon-juice 'cos best-before date was last Friday.  The hungry dogs look up and are not fed.

Later: And bloody good it was, too.

I have a book by PP that I bought in the 80s, before he started flogging "K-Paul's spices for" this, that and the other.  In my book all the spice mixes are given in generic terms.  I want to try blackened fish but our cooker hood isn't industrial grade.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #182 on: 03 April, 2016, 02:58:44 pm »
Supermarket sweet potato, feta and nut roast (out of the freezer), mashed potato (out of the freezer), roast parsnips (from the freezer), Yorkshire pudding (from the freezer), and gravy (from concentrate).

It was gorgeous.  I love living in the future.
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #183 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:41:12 pm »
Green banana satay and pita.

« Reply #184 on: 09 April, 2016, 05:54:25 pm »
Well had, chicken salad wraps with hoisin sauce. Yum.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #185 on: 10 April, 2016, 10:51:44 am »
And today, the last of the roast bits, as chicken noodle soup. Will garnish wish some of the wild garlic leaves we foraged yesterday. The rest I'll blitz with some olive oil then freeze.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #186 on: 23 April, 2016, 01:28:15 pm »
A sort of a seafood Carbonara: fresh basil, dill & red onions cut into toenails, all fried for a bit then prawns and a couple of broken-up salmon fillets added & allowed to cook a bit further. Parmesan straight into the pan to coat everything a bit. That lot dumped on top of a dish of tagliatelle tossed with butter and two egg yolks.

Just right for a cold, wet, blustery Saturday.

The nice thing about fresh basil is that if you let it cook for a bit it develops a deeper, more savoury taste than when uncooked.  I still have the perfume of it on my fingers from when I chopped it, too.

« Reply #187 on: 05 May, 2016, 02:36:07 pm »
Crusty roll, apple, piece of vintage cheddar. Was still hungry so followed it up with a pear and some dolcelatte.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #188 on: 08 May, 2016, 09:03:19 am »
Ken Lo's recipe for Red-Cooked Duck.  Should be starting to cook in about an hour.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #189 on: 08 May, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
The remnants of last night's cheese board. Nom!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #190 on: 08 May, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »
Aforesaid duck was delightful.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #191 on: 13 May, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »
A Hindu temple has just moved in on the ground floor of the building in which I rent my studio. They're here for at least two years whilst they demolish and rebuild their own place. A commercial kitchen got installed here a couple of weeks ago and now everything's up and running, they're serving delicious, free vegetarian lunch every single day. I've just been down to eat with them for the first time and it's wonderful.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #192 on: 13 May, 2016, 03:03:42 pm »
A Hindu temple has just moved in on the ground floor of the building in which I rent my studio. They're here for at least two years whilst they demolish and rebuild their own place. A commercial kitchen got installed here a couple of weeks ago and now everything's up and running, they're serving delicious, free vegetarian lunch every single day. I've just been down to eat with them for the first time and it's wonderful.

Mmm.   :P

*prepares self for the shock of encountering a erm sturdy Charlotte when I next make it to Long Itchington*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #193 on: 22 May, 2016, 03:26:52 pm »
Saltimbocca in madeira/cream/parmesan sauce.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #194 on: 31 May, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »
Broad beans with mashed potatoes. Aren't broad beans disappointing though? You have a huge pile of beans and by the time you've shelled them, there are hardly any beans. So I left some of the smaller pods whole. They're perfectly edible but have a faintly odd taste, a bit like the smell of marigold leaves. Sort of. I totally will get frozen broad beans next time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #195 on: 31 May, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »
Broad beans with mashed potatoes. Aren't broad beans disappointing though? You have a huge pile of beans and by the time you've shelled them, there are hardly any beans. So I left some of the smaller pods whole. They're perfectly edible but have a faintly odd taste, a bit like the smell of marigold leaves. Sort of. I totally will get frozen broad beans next time.

.....and then if you skin them you have even less left. They do taste pretty good by then though, although many people will never ever discover this in their lives.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #196 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:29:03 pm »
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more beans, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans.
Blackadder: Yes... and no. Let's try again shall we? I have two beans, then I add two more beans. What does that make?
Baldrick: A very small casserole.
Blackadder: Baldrick, the ape creatures of the Indus have mastered this. Now try again. One, two, three, four. So how many are there?
Baldrick: Three.
Blackadder: What?
Baldrick: ...and that one.
Blackadder: Three and that one. So if I add that one to the three what will I have?
Baldrick: Oh. Some beans.
Blackadder: Yes. To you Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #197 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:58:18 pm »

.....and then if you skin them you have even less left. They do taste pretty good by then though, although many people will never ever discover this in their lives.
Skin them! If I skinned them I'd never get around to eating them! Which is just as well, as there'd be nothing left to eat. Actually, I'm not entirely sure it's necessary to cook them either. They're pretty good raw, at least the small ones. Didn't try the pods raw though. And probably won't.

Of course I rediscover this at least once a year.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #198 on: 02 July, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »
Bacon naan sandwich, carrot and lentil soup.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #199 on: 02 July, 2016, 03:09:29 pm »
Apple dhal and bread and butter.