Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121346 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #250 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:14:37 pm »
Just received these Were allan keys from Amazon:

Lovely! Not a sharp edge on any of them. Supposed to be less likely to damage hex bolts than standard ones as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #251 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:17:56 pm »
I've so nearly clicked the button on a set of those a few times. But I really don't need any more allen keys.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #252 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:32:35 pm »
Part of my lockdown therapy is sorting out the garage. I'm winnowing out the crap. Today its alan keys keys, sockets and the Quality Street tin full of assorted screwdriver bits.

« Reply #253 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:36:54 pm »

Lovely! Not a sharp edge on any of them. Supposed to be less likely to damage hex bolts than standard ones as well.

I have a set of those both metric and imperial i was given as a thank you.  Not the swanky colours though.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #254 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:27:03 pm »

I bought a set of those, they're so nice that I bought a little Wera tool set, then a bigger Wera socket set.

I don't regret the outlay though, they're always a pleasure to use. I don't leave them in the garage though!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #255 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:35:50 pm »

How much did they cost?

« Reply #256 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:55:13 pm »

How much did they cost?

£20.60

You can get a magnetised set if you want for a bit more.

« Reply #257 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:57:47 pm »
I bought a set of those, they're so nice that I bought a little Wera tool set, then a bigger Wera socket set.

I don't regret the outlay though, they're always a pleasure to use. I don't leave them in the garage though!

Wera and Wiha kit is addictive I have found, and then there are Knippex and Gedore ....

Knippex Cobra slip joint pliers are the only plumbing pliers that don't make me swear and want to throw them out the window when I am using them. That reminds me I need a couple more in different sizes before I tackle the bathroom.

« Reply #258 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:05:38 am »

How much did they cost?

£20.60
Now£24.98 :(

« Reply #259 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:21:54 pm »
Latest acquisition 8 inch Fit Shear Pliers.

This is the sole product of Dürholt Zangen. It's the only thing they have made for about 60 years. You can get them with the lovely red acetate handles like mine or a more modern plastic handle cover but that's it. Nothing like being single minded.I have a strange affection for pliers ans buy loads at car boot sales. I also like red clear handles on tools so these are a double whammy. The box is delightfully retro too.

« Reply #260 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:53:48 pm »
Can you please stop.
I have all of the tools that I do not need.

« Reply #261 on: 14 April, 2020, 09:33:49 pm »
I've just ordered the Cyclus tools for removing Campagnolo bearing cups. Should be interesting...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #262 on: 15 April, 2020, 08:06:50 am »
I have some spangly Axminster/UJK woodworking clamps and other bits on the way to me  . . . and have ordered an "MFT" top for the bench I'm building in the new workshop.   Pix will follow in due course.

Rob

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #263 on: 15 April, 2020, 08:34:29 am »
Can you please stop.
I have all of the tools that I do not need.
^ this.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #264 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:42:00 am »
When I sold the French place I had duplicates of everything I had in York and then some.

Luckily I found buyers for most of the big stuff like scaffolding, cement mixers, ladders, wheel barrows and the like.  Some I just had to leave.

I could have sold my home-made work bench but I took it all apart and managed to fit it in somehow on one of my three trips.  So glad I did as I re-assembled it a month ago and it's lovely to have it back.  It was made in one day out of French pine, threaded bar and a lump of bathroom grade chipboard, cost 30-40 euros.  Later I fitted a Record vice. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #265 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:00:50 am »
Not sure that having a petrol strimmer qualifies me as a tool junkie (but I do have a few more fossil-fuel powered garden tools, so maybe I do qualify).

Anyway, the aforementioned strimmer is getting on for 20 years old and the spare parts pile is near enough fully depleted, so when the primer bulb on the carb spilt and the thing spluttered to an way-over-lean halt, I thought that was very possibly that.

However, on extracting the split bulb - and it certainly didn't owe me anything - and having a measure I resorted to Goo*le. 

Imagine my surprise therefore, to find dozens of generic primer bulbs in my size.  Bought a few - the postage was more than the bulbs.

Fitted one of said bulbs and hey ho, it works perfectly! 

I'm fairly adept at finding long-lost parts for my classic Triumph motorcycles, but long lost parts for 20 yo Chinese made petrol strimmers is a whole new experience.

« Reply #266 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:56:52 pm »
Colin Furze's new video is a tour of his workshop, including most of his tools - perfect for all you tool junkies: https://youtu.be/fqTDfpIpub4  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #267 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:28:48 am »
Can't stand that bloke.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #268 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:36:02 am »
Can't stand that bloke.

Yep he's a bit up himself - a couple of the people I follow on Youtube are interesting for tools and woodwork workshops -

Casual DIY   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOr70KjRTS9zUCY2hKF5E8w
Steve Ramsey   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBB7sYb14uBtk8UqSQYc9-w

Rob

...... installed a couple of the new-fangled LED batten lights in my workshop yesterday - it's as bright as an operating theatre!

« Reply #269 on: 17 April, 2020, 11:29:52 am »
...... installed a couple of the new-fangled LED batten lights in my workshop yesterday - it's as bright as an operating theatre!

Ooh do tell I need more light. Which ones did you go for?

« Reply #270 on: 17 April, 2020, 12:35:53 pm »
Replaced the tubes in the garage with those last year.  What a difference.  I need more but it looks like the price has risen a fair bit. Mine were shipped from Spain, very fast delivery, too.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #271 on: 17 April, 2020, 01:15:39 pm »
Can't stand that bloke.

Yep he's a bit up himself - a couple of the people I follow on Youtube are interesting for tools and woodwork workshops -

Rob

I find Paul Sellers very relaxing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3EpWncNq5QL0QhwUNQb7w
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #272 on: 17 April, 2020, 01:48:59 pm »
Can't stand that bloke.

Rob

Ta - I like channels where they use the kind of tools I'm likely to be able to afford.  Some of them use high-end pro stuff I wouldn't get my hands on in a million years.

Just now I'm scratching my head raw over where to attach a router-table top to a bench without blocking access to whatever's under it.  Difficult because every bench or tool trolley in my workshop has something already there.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #273 on: 17 April, 2020, 01:50:42 pm »
Colin Furze's new video is a tour of his workshop, including most of his tools - perfect for all you tool junkies: https://youtu.be/fqTDfpIpub4  :D
Not overstruck by the delivery, but that is 26':17" of tool envy.
I particularly like the ones which he has made himself.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #274 on: 17 April, 2020, 02:06:57 pm »
Anybody who enjoys the intersection of motorbikes and fine workmanship will enjoy Allen Millyard's channel (if they're not already watching it)  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4hbNBjmdvXONmcxcLSNhg

I haven't seen anything more complicated than a hydraulic press - and that was for turning two four cylinder crankshafts into a six cylinder one.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!