Author Topic: Tomsk's Essex Events  (Read 29291 times)

Phil W

Re: Tomsk's Essex Events
« Reply #75 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:05:06 pm »
If I'd known you were there WilkyBoy , I'd have said hello at the start.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #76 on: 29 April, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »
We overtook someone (blue surly?) not far down the road, and then shortly after Dave suddenly panicked that he had left his water bottle in Waitrose, lost concentration and we left the road in favour of the verge.  He manfully kept a grip on the steering and we duly re-joined the carriageway, but these things don’t happen too fast on a tandem. So if Mr Blue Surly is reading this, please be assured that no he hadn’t been at the gin and we don’t normally overtake people and then career off the road!
Ah so that's the explanation. It was spectacular to watch - great recovery! Good job you didn't leave behind a Garmin or similar  ;D
Next up was a minor navigational error – we missed the sign for New Buckenham or so we thought. A quick look at the map (we are traditionalists) showed us an alternative route to avoid retracing our steps. Tomsk later confirmed that the sign was missing so maybe we weren’t the only ones to get this wrong.

Yes that caught me out as well, I didn't have a map, but the friendly local plasterer who told me he'd lived in the area all his life put me right ... I  retraced my overshoot. There did appear to be a very large number of broken, missing and twisted-around signs in North Norfolk ... surely some sort of deliberate local sabotage, but not sufficiently cunning to defeat the Tomsk routesheet.
The bluebells in Dodnash Wood beside the road  after leaving the A12 were amazing, best I've seen so far this year.
+1

I'd ridden the wonderful Elenydd a couple of weeks before this ride; this ride was equally wonderful, and wonderfully different.  The contrast between them is a great illustration of the variety to be found in audax rides. It's the difference between East and West, mountainous and flat, riding in a well paced group compared with a more individual ride with occasional pairing, riding all night rather than into the night.   

The pre-ride meal makes a nice sociable start to this event (compared with an early night in the tent on the Elenydd). I rode most of the way to Burnham Deepdale with the Tomsk peloton which continued the friendly nature of the ride, and was at Burnham Deepdale well before opening time. After a leisurely breakfast the strengthening headwind was a bit more of a challenge than I expected, but I knew with so much time in hand it would be very hard to fail to make the time limit. I was soon passed by Team Tomsk who seemed much less troubled by the wind; I joined them for a very short distance but soon decided it was too fast for me, so switched into tourist mode and enjoyed the views, the birdsong, meeting up with others at the controls.  I even managed a short snooze in a very comfortable stone built bus shelter  :D which was invigorating well beyond its short duration!  My return train ticket was off peak only so I was taking it easy so as not to hang around too long in Manningtree waiting for the off peak trains to start (feel free to add this to your own catalogue of excuses) - until somebody told me that all the trains are off-peak on Saturday  :facepalm: so I speeded up getting to Manningtree just after 5pm in good time for a fast train back to Liverpool Street.

What a great way to spend a weekend!  :thumbsup: I might join you again for the Asparagus and Strawberries, assuming I survive the Bryan Chapman voyage ... another West and East pairing  :)

My heavy gauge blue Surly tourer wasn't my first choice bike for this event, but it had the supreme advantage of being in working condition, has great lights, and was super comfortable leaving me relatively un-beatenup. In retrospect these Surly miles could prove to be an ace training strategy when I switch to a lighter bike for the BCM (I may be in trouble otherwise) ...
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #77 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:32:02 am »
A lovely ride around Norfolk and Suffolk, marred only by the wind on the start of the return leg which made those miles quite a slog.

Stayed with the Tomsk train until the middle of the second leg when the need for a comfort break and the realisation the cafe wouldn't be open at the current pace meant a short stop and stretch was in order.

Arrived at the cafe just after the first little group but left after the main field after a delay getting Wilburs breakfast order. (mine came nice and quickly). Happy to see Waitrose , but less happy that I missed getting a coffee despite having my Waitrose card. Meant that I wanted to stop at the Alder Carr tea rooms rather than another shop stop. So by the time we had been served and got back to Manningtree it was after 5pm.

Thanks to Wilkyboy for the chat, and Oscars Dad for guiding us out of Waitrose when we went round the roundabouts a couple of times trying to work out which way the GPS track was going. :facepalm:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #78 on: 30 April, 2014, 05:36:43 pm »
... and Oscars Dad for guiding us out of Waitrose when we went round the roundabouts a couple of times trying to work out which way the GPS track was going. :facepalm:

It was you two who helped me, my GPS was equally confused.  You ruled out one of the two options so a process of elimination put me on the right road.  The Garmin eventually caught up  ::-)

I like Wilky Boy's photos as one actually shows me riding a bike!

« Reply #79 on: 02 May, 2014, 12:38:14 pm »
Of course if we had looked at our route sheet while eating we would have saved the roundabout loop.

... and Oscars Dad for guiding us out of Waitrose when we went round the roundabouts a couple of times trying to work out which way the GPS track was going. :facepalm:

It was you two who helped me, my GPS was equally confused.  You ruled out one of the two options so a process of elimination put me on the right road.  The Garmin eventually caught up  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #80 on: 02 May, 2014, 12:46:16 pm »
Of course if we had looked at our route sheet while eating we would have saved the roundabout loop.

That's cheating!  ;D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #81 on: 03 May, 2014, 01:43:10 am »
If I'd known you were there WilkyBoy , I'd have said hello at the start.

I was on funny-sized wheels — you wouldn't have recognised me and indeed you didn't!   ::-) ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #82 on: 03 May, 2014, 10:27:53 am »

That's cheating!  ;D

It sounds like a few of us went round the roundabout trying to reach escape velocity from Wymondham :-)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:21:36 am »
Routesheet for the Asparagus & Strawberries 400 on Aukweb is now edited and expanded for clarity, plus a few changes to the info sheet as well. I'll be emailing riders soon anyway.

rob

« Reply #84 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:59:27 am »
Cutting it a bit fine this year.   Train arrives 08.56 on Saturday.   Will be a bit of a dash to start on time.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: 06 May, 2014, 07:32:08 pm »
I'll wait around a bit for late arrivals [not so with the midnight-01 start of the Green and Yellow Fields].....

Phil W

« Reply #86 on: 06 May, 2014, 07:58:26 pm »
Is GPX up to date?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: 07 May, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »
gpx is Adamski's from 2011 - still Herman Ramsey's original route and unchanged for ages [I think that qualifies it as a 'Classic' :D].

My recent updates to the routesheet are slight changes to control suggestions, signage etc.

« Reply #88 on: 09 May, 2014, 02:48:50 pm »
For all you A&S'ers I can confirm that new season asparagus and strawberries are in plentiful supply around Norfolk at the moment. Would love to join you all next week but I'll be on my holibobs.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #89 on: 09 May, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »
Boo !

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #90 on: 09 May, 2014, 06:23:17 pm »
I am unable to join you on A&S this year, much though I'd love to: my sister would never forgive me missing her wedding.

I hope you all have a good ride!  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #91 on: 09 May, 2014, 08:30:19 pm »
Is there a recommended unofficial control to get some fresh Asparagus and Strawberries?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #92 on: 10 May, 2014, 12:48:37 pm »
Is GPX up to date?
I have plotted 7 x GPX files segmented by control to control which I successfully followed last year, should anyone like them PM me with your email address (usual disclaimer applies if they don't work for you!).

I am most miffed to have missed the G&YF ride this year due to illness, looking forward to a successful A&S  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: 10 May, 2014, 08:41:27 pm »
Is there a recommended unofficial control to get some fresh Asparagus and Strawberries?

Sometimes there are road-side stalls by farms/cottage gardens - I recall one near the Reedham Ferry.

Extra points for pictures of your bike with asparagus and strawberries.

Points deducted for pointing out that the ferry's chain is a bit slack ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #94 on: 10 May, 2014, 09:48:45 pm »

But that's my favourite bit :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: 12 May, 2014, 08:19:26 am »

But that's my favourite bit :)

Just for you though....extra points based on beer/km ratio

« Reply #96 on: 12 May, 2014, 09:23:53 am »
I've signed up for the A&S 400. It will be my first 400 and I could not make the G&YF but have been reasonably comfortable on a couple of 200's this year so looking forward to the challenge. A couple of Audax rides with Oscar's Dad and Huggy were enough to get me on the road to being sucked into the world of Audax and I have the clearance to go for the SR this year so I really have something to aim for.

Looking forward to meeting some of you along the way and with a bit of luck I might even be able to arrange myself for one of the Wednesday night -> Thursday morning Carb Loading runs! ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #97 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:51:27 am »
You are most welcome to join Team Slow & Steady!

« Reply #98 on: 13 May, 2014, 12:51:03 am »
If one is an 'average' rider, where is one likely to find oneself around 2-3am on this ride? Its my 'low' time, and I am looking for suitable bus shelters.
TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:59:03 am »
If one is an 'average' rider, where is one likely to find oneself around 2-3am on this ride? Its my 'low' time, and I am looking for suitable bus shelters.
TIA

Bus shelter heaven is at Balsham [after Newmarket], about every 200 yards through quite a spread-out village. Its usually getting light when I'm there, so maybe too late for you?

Prior to that, few and far between on the A1065 down from Norfolk, though. Provided its dry, some of the denser bits of Thetford Forest might be cosy......

The phone box in the Market Place in Saffron Walden has been used as an Audax Hotel.....