General Category > The Knowledge

Help with frame related questions

(1/103) > >>

Bicycle Repair Man:
Now then people.

Some of you may have seen the thread on disc brakes for road bikes where Mr Clarion said

"Now you're here, it would be interesting to hear your views on a number of different issues.  Hope you have time to hang around and give us the benefit of your experience"

So here I am  ;)  I am quite happy to answer questions on frame related topics however I dont do personal problems, the meaning of life, what colour shorts should I buy, or is the moon really made of green cheese  ;D

Hope I can be of some assistance

Dave Yates

clarion:

--- Quote from: Bicycle Repair Man on 24 June, 2011, 12:05:38 pm ---...I dont do personal problems, the meaning of life, what colour shorts should I buy, or is the moon really made of green cheese ...

--- End quote ---

Oh. :(

*run out of questions*  ;D

Ian H:
Afternoon, Mr Y. Might I mention in passing that commas in www addresses don't work.

Also - just curious: does anyone buy bespoke tt frames nowadays, or is it all Taiwanese carbon-fibre?

clarion:
Actually, I do have a question.

I want to use a hub gear on my tourer (531ST).  It currently has vertical dropouts.  I know I could go with a chain tensioner, but I think they're ugly, and, besides, I want to have the option of a fixed.

Now, next refurb I see the options as these:

Change the dropouts for trad horizontal ones, but I think they're getting rarer.

Change the dropouts for Rohloff-style sliding dropouts (better if I add a disc brake, of which more another time)

leave the dropouts and swap the BB (thread getting tired anyway) for an EBB, which makes disc brakes a good option (of which more later, as I say).

I've spoken to another framebuilder, who doesn't like EBBs because they change the effective seat angle, but I wouldn't have thought that was particularly critical on a tourer, though I don't have the experience to be certain (just been riding a bike for thirty years).

I'd appreciate your views.

dasmoth:

--- Quote from: clarion on 24 June, 2011, 12:25:57 pm ---I've spoken to another framebuilder, who doesn't like EBBs because they change the effective seat angle, but I wouldn't have thought that was particularly critical on a tourer, though I don't have the experience to be certain (just been riding a bike for thirty years).

--- End quote ---

I though you'd done some tandem miles?  Doesn't that have an EBB?

(They've certainly never bothered me, and seem like a much neater engineering solution that most of the alternatives -- I have a suspicion I'm relatively non-fussy about riding position, though, so maybe it matters more to others).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version