Author Topic: Campagnolo Triples - ahhrrrr  (Read 3842 times)

cc93

Campagnolo Triples - ahhrrrr
« on: 07 April, 2008, 03:58:36 pm »
Sent this to Mercian Cycles (Campags UK agent)

Hi

Last year I upgraded my Mercian Audax to 10sp triple using Centaur QS ergo’s plus the recommended mechs for triple 10sp.

The set up is fine apart from the front changer needs much greater effort to shift up than any previous set up I’ve had, and on a long ride I’m finding it a bit much.

I looked at the instructions for the front mech and it mentions ‘higher force to effect shifting’ when used with non-QS mechs – they aren’t kidding!

OK, so I bought the wrong mech, but after trailing through Campag’s web-site I’m not sure if they actually make a QS triple-compatible, 22t range front mech!

Please tell me I’m wrong!

Best regards

Phil Groves

and received a reply within commendable minutes - BUT

Hello Phil
Unfortunately you are correct there is no front changer for this size of ring they are made to be used with a 30t inner ring only. We are aware of the difficulty you are experiencing and are a lose to be able to help.

Regards
Mercian Cycles Limited

Duh!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Campagnolo Triples - ahhrrrr
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2008, 05:36:46 pm »
Campag Race Triple and Comp Triple 2007/8 front mechs are specified as 10-speed, QS and 22t capacity.  I can see they are marked "QS" in the 2007 printed catalogue photos.  These are compatible with all QS levers.

As for the 30t min and 22t capacity, you can ignore it.  Campag have always stated these specs for their triple front mechs, but with careful adjustment you will actually be able to get it working with a smaller granny ring.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2008, 05:54:08 pm »
I currently have a 26 granny ring on my Campy triple. Works good.

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:48:11 am »
I have Mirage QS Ergos with a Centaur Triple and a Race Triple front mech which has 10 speed QS printed on it.

This is the first time I've built up a Camapg 10 speed configuration and i do think the front mech takes a bit of effort to work, it usually takes 2 stabs at the lever to get it to shift to the big ring from the middle ring.

I always assumed that it was due to my under bottom bracket cable guide being worn.

Maybe not.

cc93

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
i do think the front mech takes a bit of effort to work, it usually takes 2 stabs at the lever to get it to shift to the big ring from the middle ring.

I always assumed that it was due to my under bottom bracket cable guide being worn.

Maybe not.

or maybe yes?

My frame has a metal cable guide integral to the BB shell and the cable inners ride through a plastic sleeve - it doesn't seem as free running as a plastic cable guide on the other bike, so perhaps this is the problem (I have replaced this sleeve but didn't make any difference)

Even with a QS front mech it's still an effort - I'm just not convinced the 10sp QS is any improvement at all over the 9sp mechs. Mirage 9sp has a very light action (and allows fine trimming) and at £56 inc all cables it's a real bargain

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 06:11:39 pm »
I'm not a fan of the QS idea either.  What we've got to hope for is that there will continue to be a supply of pre-QS Ergos and mechs on the second-hand market.

The left-hand pre-QS levers are compatible with both 9 and 10-speed front mechs.

nickwill

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:16:02 pm »
I had a triple with the previous generation of Centaur levers. They worked really well, and the fact that they were basically unindexed made them easy to use. When the left hand lever gave up the ghost, I bought current generation QS levers. I found this to be such an unsatisfactory combination, that I replaced the triple with a compact. This combination works perfectly. I suspect that Campag are basically trying to make the triple option obselete.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:36:48 pm »
I have 10 speed veloce with triple and it works fine although Im not sure if its an option these days.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:50:46 pm »
Instead of a triple option for each group, Campag now have the Champ, Race and Comp Triple mechs, chainsets and BBs to use with other groups.  The top ones are not as light or attractive as the former Chorus and Record Triple stuff.  Also there is no Ultra Torque option for triple.  Certainly Campag are marginalising their triple options.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2008, 12:44:38 pm »
Even with a QS front mech it's still an effort - I'm just not convinced the 10sp QS is any improvement at all over the 9sp mechs. Mirage 9sp has a very light action (and allows fine trimming) and at £56 inc all cables it's a real bargain

We have had a few bikes with Campagnolo Comp Triple mechs and Chainset plus QS shifter and I can't say I have noticed any stiffness in the shifting, I have just had a quick go with the two bikes in those pictures that we have on display as well to check. Neither have we received any comments along those lines and we have sold quite a few with that set up now. Mind you have not had any feed back as to how fabulous QS is either, was fine as it was as far as I and many were concerned.

As you have now fitted QS shifter and Mech it should be OK, when you detach the cable from the mech and click it through the gears does the cable pull through your fingers easily? It does sound like something is causing a problem, make sure the outer casing is butted against the lever well for example, it is often a case of just eliminating things like you did with the BB sleeve

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

cc93

« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:18:25 pm »
Hi Paul

The cable run seems pretty smooth, I think the problem definitely lies in the integrated metal cable guide under the BB.

I removed the plastic sleeve, and it improved things a little, but the cable/metal interface still has more friction than the cable/plastic of the other bike.

I'm tempted to spend an afternoon filing away the guide and fitting a plastic one - but maybe I'll just live with it!

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:58:09 pm »
Hi Paul. The cable run seems pretty smooth, I think the problem definitely lies in the integrated metal cable guide under the BB. I removed the plastic sleeve, and it improved things a little, but the cable/metal interface still has more friction than the cable/plastic of the other bike.I'm tempted to spend an afternoon filing away the guide and fitting a plastic one - but maybe I'll just live with it!

I would rectify if you can, as you may reduce the life of the lever, after all it is the lever that you are putting the additional force required through to change gear

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk