Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147868 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: womens record
« Reply #50 on: 02 January, 2016, 08:56:56 am »
I have been tipped a wink by someone in the know that we should keep watching for some more big miles in 2016.
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #51 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:28:03 am »
Sensible distance for this time of year.

If she keeps motivated and healthy, she will be able to slot in double centuries in the warmer months of the year.  I'm looking forward to seeing how she fares, and hope it encourages other riders to look at riding far as being just as rewarding as riding fast.

« Reply #52 on: 02 January, 2016, 10:17:54 am »
Anne Hunt did shedloads on encouraging women in 2015, she needs a huge clap for this:-

http://www.tributetobillie.co.uk/

« Reply #53 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:25:46 am »
Thanks for posting that,  a good read

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #54 on: 02 January, 2016, 05:13:44 pm »
As I saw Steve off last year, I thought it would be fun to ride out and see Kajsa off on her year yesterday.

A nice group ride which steadily whittled down as people peeled off, with plenty of chat. Kajsa always leading, no drafting allowed. A very relaxed pace so most could join her on the ride, stops for photographs. A mid ride village hall food and coffee stop, where a considerable amount of supporters were waiting to cheer her in.
She has certainly encouraged people already to be actively involved, 2 riders alone yesterday doing there first 100 and has some good mechanical support from Leisure lakes.

Had a nice long chat with her, she is far from interested in doing long days in the saddle wanting this to be fun rather than a chore. Is looking forward to travelling to new places as part of the journey.
For a start the idea is pre published routes and encouraging people to come along.

It was interesting to hear the reasons behind the choice of Guinness as the body for authentication rather than the UMCA.  In a nutshell its down to the global recognition that Guinness brings to the process, along with the fact that they were nicer to deal with than the UMCA apparently, oh and free!

Citizenfish will approve, she is using mileage cards as part of the authentication, I gladly signed the first one  :D will have to sort my photos out.

« Reply #55 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:34:02 pm »
Excellent report and well done for seeing her start this fantastic adventure

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #56 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:53:54 pm »
Kajsa coms across as a really nice person, and I love the way she got people to make an exercise pledge for 2016 in support of her ride. I will enjoy watching her progress.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #57 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:03:06 am »
In a nutshell its down to the global recognition that Guinness brings to the process, along with the fact that they were nicer to deal with than the UMCA apparently, oh and free!

Thanks for the post. 

Most surprised to see that Guinness is free.  I thought they were far from that.

« Reply #58 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:53:13 am »
Kajsa coms across as a really nice person, and I love the way she got people to make an exercise pledge for 2016 in support of her ride. I will enjoy watching her progress.

Just to prove we are all different, I find the exercise pledge a bit off putting - too school teacher-like for me.

red marley

« Reply #59 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:13:45 am »
The exercise pledge seems entirely appropriate to me. This nicely echoes the spirit of Billy Dovey's mission in 1938.

« Reply #60 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:19:27 am »
The exercise pledge seems entirely appropriate to me. This nicely echoes the spirit of Billy Dovey's mission in 1938.

PLUS ONE

« Reply #61 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:47:43 am »
Personally, I think Kajsa's pledge idea is first class. Far too many bike rides have been 'hijacked' for charity. I have a series of charities I donate to on a regular basis, but that is separate from cycling and I actively avoid the mass participation charity rides. Those who know me are well aware that it is no challenge as I can normally achieve the distance, barring mishap, so what are they "sponsoring" for? Avoiding the guilt trip?

It's a real b@11ache collecting monies after the event and so it is really refreshing and hopefully better for supporters to get out on their bikes themselves rather than being armchair participants.

Good on you Kajsa, you have my total support for everything you are doing. Keep the video diary coming too.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #62 on: 03 January, 2016, 10:15:00 am »
Having just read this thread I've found a lot of the comments really odd. This record attempt should be looked at completely outside of our strange world of Audax. To most of the population riding a bike 10 miles is a very big deal, riding a single 100 mile ride is a target for loads of regular cyclists who are out riding most summer weekends. To most none cyclists this record will be seen for what it is, an amazing achievement. This ride could encourage loads of girls and women to start cycling which would be brilliant.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #63 on: 03 January, 2016, 10:45:25 am »

Just to prove we are all different, I find the exercise pledge a bit off putting - too school teacher-like for me.

Each to his or her own, of course. I thought it was a bit of fun and a nice way to get people to feel a little more involved than just being spectators. Many people have said how they were inspired to ride more by Steve and Kurt; this kind of formalises that inspiration a little by asking for just a small commitment - and one which will only be judged by the participant themselves.

I'm not sure why a few people seem unimpressed by the target of 100mpd. Besides being significantly more than the current record, it's a bloody long way by anyone's standard. Yes there are others (some here) who could take on the task relatively easily, but the fact remains that no woman has done so yet and so the record is up for grabs - and will be up for re-taking in the future...

« Reply #64 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:10:49 am »
Agreed. 100 mpd EVERY day is a challenge, notwithstanding the Godwin efforts.  And thus far she seems to be doing it confortably, so as hinted by Clarion, perhaps we'll see greater distances come warmer weather. And I like the inclusiveness, and sociability of encouraging others to ride with her, and the posting of photos linked to the tracker page.

My only concern, rule-wise, is that even if she isn't drafting, it's known that the rider at the head if a group does benefit, as was demonstrated by Ned Boulting and Chris Boardman in one of their TdF pieces. Still the minimum daily mileage is being comfortably (FCVO comfortable!) exceeded.

Another horrid day, chapeau Kasja (and Steve).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #65 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:14:58 am »
Having just read this thread I've found a lot of the comments really odd. This record attempt should be looked at completely outside of our strange world of Audax.

Hooray for a post made from sense.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #66 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:51:01 am »
Out of interest does anyone have the detail of Guinness' verification process/rules on what is clearly a new venture for them?  Have they used the round-the-world as a basis, or looked over their shoulder at what UMCA is doing?
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #67 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:28:16 pm »
Having just read this thread I've found a lot of the comments really odd. This record attempt should be looked at completely outside of our strange world of Audax.

Seconded.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #68 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:34:32 pm »

Seconded.

Thirded.

Allez Kajsa, good luck with your attempt :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #69 on: 03 January, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
The pledges are not just cycling, they have come in from all activities she told me.
And not just for activities, several pledges have been to volunteer involving sports organisation.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
Personally, I think Kajsa's pledge idea is first class. Far too many bike rides have been 'hijacked' for charity. I have a series of charities I donate to on a regular basis, but that is separate from cycling and I actively avoid the mass participation charity rides. Those who know me are well aware that it is no challenge as I can normally achieve the distance, barring mishap, so what are they "sponsoring" for? Avoiding the guilt trip?

It's a real b@11ache collecting monies after the event and so it is really refreshing and hopefully better for supporters to get out on their bikes themselves rather than being armchair participants.

Good on you Kajsa, you have my total support for everything you are doing. Keep the video diary coming too.
2nded!

I still reserve the right to say that this is NOT an athletic challenge in any true meaning; not when steve/kurt/tommy are all doing 170mpd+ for the year. I dont want to make a big deal of this though, cos I still think this attempt is A Good Thing. mkay??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:13:58 pm »
If it's not an athletic challenge it's a dedication challenge, otherwise someone would have bettered it by now.  Best of luck to her.

I don't think I could manage 100mpd for more than maybe a week, so I'm in awe of anyone who can.  Maybe testing that theory might be a reasonable pledge, or just a way to end up really broken?  Hmm...

« Reply #72 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:24:41 pm »
It's a real b@11ache collecting monies after the event

Which is why many people use JustGiving, VirginMoneyGiving and the like. No need to have to handle any money personally.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #73 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »
Best of luck to her.

Another AMAZING lady rider, great to see :)  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #74 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:16:13 pm »

If it's not an athletic challenge it's a dedication challenge, otherwise someone would have bettered it by now.  Best of luck to her.

I don't think I could manage 100mpd for more than maybe a week, so I'm in awe of anyone who can.

What she said. I remember how snide some forum members were when the Pru RideLondon 100 was announced, for example, but taking it on and not getting swept up by the broom wagon was a massive challenge for me (which several kind forum members helped me with by accompanying me on training rides each week) and I'm proud I managed it even though it pales beside the achievements of others on the forum. It's all relative. I can't begin to think about doing it every day. Good luck to her indeed.