Author Topic: Today I did my first 'bent ride in a long, long while.  (Read 1528 times)

Today I did my first 'bent ride in a long, long while.
« on: 07 May, 2019, 03:53:21 pm »
I'd like to say it was wonderful but it was a bit 'curate's egg'!

When I bought my first Bacchetta Giro 20 in 2008 I'd only ridden a lwb (courtesy of cycleman) and a Kingcycle. The one was slow and the other twitchy.
I went to Northants. to view the Giro. Launched downhill and it felt so right that at the bottom I executed a turn in the village road without falling over, and cycled back up the slight hill with only minor pain.

11 years later I launched down the slight hill that is my road and promptly found myself on the other side of the road with a death grip on the bars. Thinking about shearing forces apropos my previous thread I relaxed and wobbled to the correct side of the road without hitting either curb. A check in the mirror revealed two SUV's that I waved past. The first one signalled left as it passed and then turned slowly into a drive about three down from where it passed me. Needless to say the second one had followed it and had nowhere to go and we all stopped.
Second launch was much better and I executed a swooping right at the bottom followed by a sharp left into the rec. where, luckily, the boom was up because it is old men's marbles day.
Practised circles until I thought they were getting too tight and I was conscious that assorted dogs and their walkers were watching me. Tried a small hill (ended up walking  :facepalm:) and then a circuit of the 'Homes Fit for Heroes' estate before coming home along a main B road where I noticed again how much space you get from motorists when you are on a 'bent. They were probably worrying about me wobbling into their paintwork!

Only 2.4 miles but enjoyable once I felt I had control. Next is to sort a dragging brake and put together a toolkit ready for Thursday. The seat could do with going back a bit more but there is only 15mm of frame tube left.

Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Today I did my first 'bent ride in a long, long while.
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2019, 07:30:04 pm »
It does get easier with practice.  And on longer rides the recumbent is so much more comfortable.  Even stranger when you get used to the recumbent, then swap back to an upright / upwrong.  For the last three years I've been swapping between the two options, progress so far is to use a recumbent for long rides; upright to go to the shops or for shorter trips.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2019, 07:37:00 pm »
  Excellent, we can relearn together. 25km for me yesterday, with plenty of wobbles.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2019, 08:28:04 pm »
I switch between both. I'm currently doing audaxes on my upright but I also do fairly long rides on the recumbent as well.  I ride both every week.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2019, 09:14:41 pm »
+2.  Recumbents for longer rides and silly bike racing.  Uprights for hacking around town and sensible off-roading.  Brommie for BloodyTrains.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:43:57 am »
Until last year I reserved my recumbents for longer rides, and my Ridgeback DF for shopping in the village.  Last summer I forced myself to use my 20/26 'bent for shopping as well, in order to boost my confidence in starting and stopping in traffic (not that there's too much of that in the village) and riding slowly to let cars go so I can have a clear uphill run at the High Street congestion.

It's worked.  I'm much more confident on the 20/26, but the 700c is still decidedly twitchy at low speeds.  Can't remember when I last rode the DF.