Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254133 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #900 on: 12 January, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
No works are currently showing on the Gatwick Express or Southern websites - although there was when I checked a week or two back. Perhaps the engineering work has been cancelled/rescheduled?

Martin

« Reply #901 on: 13 January, 2019, 11:33:57 am »
I rode the original GdS perm Down to Downs yesterday, quite a feisty little number especially starting from Edenbridge with the almost immediate double whammy of Toys and Barsted hills.

You will get more of a warm up in the calendar version with a traverse of Ashdown Forest after the start

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-116/

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #902 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:51:26 pm »
No works are currently showing on the Gatwick Express or Southern websites - although there was when I checked a week or two back. Perhaps the engineering work has been cancelled/rescheduled?

Yeah, I think this is what happened.  https://brightonmainline.co.uk/mark-the-dates-in-your-diary/ shows 26 Jan as being clear.  Polegate it is!

It's showing no trains for 23 Feb's Mad Jack's - John Seviour Memorial though.

« Reply #903 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:47:58 pm »

Yeah, I think this is what happened.  https://brightonmainline.co.uk/mark-the-dates-in-your-diary/ shows 26 Jan as being clear.  Polegate it is!

It's showing no trains for 23 Feb's Mad Jack's - John Seviour Memorial though.
I'm thinking a nice pootle from Polegate and a ECE back into London.

To my neck of the woods it should finish up as an imperial century. :)

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

markldn

« Reply #904 on: 15 January, 2019, 02:52:43 pm »

Nice.  That is not a bad idea which I would consider as well but doing a 200 this weekend and only just beginning my training so don't want to overdo it.  Good luck.

« Reply #905 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:44:38 pm »

Nice.  That is not a bad idea which I would consider as well but doing a 200 this weekend and only just beginning my training so don't want to overdo it.  Good luck.
I'm glad you like my plan :)

... however, I've mislead you. I meant to say I was doing this for the Mad Jack in Feb. Sadly I'm working during the next ride :/

Martin

« Reply #906 on: 15 January, 2019, 11:03:20 pm »
I can vouch from experience that Hailsham is a very good place to ECE to / from, easy relatively quiet (at that time of day) A road down and plenty of choice of routes back whether they be extra AAA North or along the coast to where Southern or South Eastern are running a proper train service

markldn

« Reply #907 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:03:45 am »

I'm glad you like my plan :)

... however, I've mislead you. I meant to say I was doing this for the Mad Jack in Feb. Sadly I'm working during the next ride :/

Oh right, well great minds think alike because I noted down in my audax planner to potentially ECE back from the John Seviour.

I can vouch from experience that Hailsham is a very good place to ECE to / from, easy relatively quiet (at that time of day) A road down and plenty of choice of routes back whether they be extra AAA North or along the coast to where Southern or South Eastern are running a proper train service

Nice.  Will definitely consider it.

Martin

« Reply #908 on: 26 February, 2019, 11:02:29 pm »
The photo gallery has apparently retired  :( not sure how I'm going to get all the photos back on the webpage (google photos apparently) watch this space...

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Martin

« Reply #909 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:23:04 pm »
Next up (unless you count the IOW Randonnee next weekend which still counts but is probably not worth AAA under the new system) is Down to Downs; the original GdS perm on its second calendar appearance (unless you count the reversed version I ran a few years ago)

Big hills bacon baps (and veggie versions!)  and soup for £3 what's not to like?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-116/

« Reply #910 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:00:45 am »
See you at the start Martin!

Martin

« Reply #911 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:45:29 pm »
Down to Downs route checked; just one amendment please check the newly uploaded route sheet which also contains information about free parking on the day; do not park at McDs all day you will be done; we will redirect as required  :)

« Reply #912 on: 18 May, 2019, 07:54:12 pm »
Thanks for a great day out Martin!

Was amazing how many people can't count up to a very small number for the last info - our little group of 3 eventually nailed it but only after each getting different wrong answers the first time  :facepalm:

« Reply #913 on: 18 May, 2019, 08:37:29 pm »
Thanks for a great day out Martin!

Was amazing how many people can't count up to a very small number for the last info - our little group of 3 eventually nailed it but only after each getting different wrong answers the first time  :facepalm:
I thought it was 1!

Whoops.

Fantastic day, Martin! Must be a little unfit as I was absolutely dead by the time I made it to the arivee.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Martin

« Reply #914 on: 18 May, 2019, 10:37:32 pm »
The answer was 3; that was the village sign at the actual turn (as in a big tall one on a post rather than the one as you come into or even leave the village). There were other village signs but not at the turn. Everyone who came up with a number from 1-3 was validated.

Glad there wasn't a newly burnt out car at the Star Hill control

Little while to wait now for the next one, Tour of the Hills in August. Sadly we've lost 3 this year due to the AAA changes.

MSH / Hillier on 19 October

« Reply #915 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:14:23 am »
I stopped on the far side of the junction and couldn't actually make out the carvings around the outside from there, so I thought it was 1. My companions were closer and saw 2 carved horses but somehow didn't spot the bright red metal horse in the middle. A brief consultation and recount ensued and we agreed on 3, and eye tests all round  :P

« Reply #916 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:58:03 am »

Sadly we've lost 3 this year due to the  changes.

I've heard about this, but not actually looked at the rules - what are the changes?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Martin

« Reply #917 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:44:34 am »
The new AAA software is generally marking down rides by about 0.25AAA. Some events like the Rowlands RAAAmble and those from Catherington were just on the threshold under the old system so have now lost their points.

In the case of the Catherington events they seem to have completely disappeared which is a great shame as they are excellent (not sure if related to AAA)

Martin

« Reply #918 on: 29 August, 2019, 12:36:56 pm »
Next year's GdS perm making a rare calendar appearance will be The Reliable on Sat 16.5.2020 starting from Crowborough  :)

« Reply #919 on: 10 September, 2019, 05:20:47 pm »
Oasts and Coasts was another good ride that qualified for GdS that lost its AAA from last year unfortunately.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #920 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:01:15 pm »
Got in just in time for O&C then. Although it has a few big climbs I wasn't sure where the AAA qualifying section was - would it be the first 100/150 km?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #921 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:49:05 pm »
Got in just in time for O&C then. Although it has a few big climbs I wasn't sure where the AAA qualifying section was - would it be the first 100/150 km?

Yep it was Toys Hill / Hartfield / the climb onto the Ashdown, all in the first 100km. I did it again this year, certainly still felt like an AAA ride, even if computer says no : )

Martin

« Reply #922 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:30:00 pm »
I'd like to add that I worked with many of the organisers and the former AUK AAA delegates to make many GdS rides AAA eligible; but it's been decided that new (completely unvalidated BTW, the old system required several independent tracks of the same route which I don't believe has happened with the new tool) AUK software knows more about the hills in the South East, which were still there and the same height last time I looked  >:(

SE AAA rides have often been on the cusp due to their nature which involves many short sharp climbs and a general lower maximum altitude at the summits. Any new climbing calculation software tool needs to take this into account.

The whole idea of the award was to encourage riders in the SE to ride hilly events without having to exclusively travel to other traditional AAA places in the UK

« Reply #923 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:40:57 am »
Its a great award Martin, and does encourage this rider at least - but yeah it is a shame to have lost calendar events from the AAA inventory due to a new tool.

Your efforts are very much appreciated though, and thanks for rotating the perms as calendar events - hopefully I won't have any diary clashes for Reliable 2020  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #924 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:43:20 am »
BBc London 600 added  :thumbsup: The first calendar 600 to qualify

Anyone want to run a 400?  :)