Author Topic: Lightweight camping chairs/seats recs  (Read 23644 times)

Re: Lightweight camping chairs/seats recs
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
You can buy a mesh hammock off ebay for about £4. Lighter than a stool and a lot more use.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #26 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:29:15 pm »
This is my sleep mat in a Thermarest adapter.

It looks uncomfortable (because I'm craning my neck to see who's out there,) but it is perhaps the most comfortable thing ever made.

The straps allow you to sit upright or to recline.  When reclined you can fall asleep in it.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2014, 04:01:22 pm »
You can buy a mesh hammock off ebay for about £4. Lighter than a stool and a lot more use.

Only if you camp where there are nicely spaced, strong enough trees. Completely useless on most camp sites, where most people camp most of the time.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »

Only if you camp where there are nicely spaced, strong enough trees. Completely useless on most camp sites, where most people camp most of the time.

Agreed.  A Hammock is ideal for wild-camping but I actually don't like camping under trees (even if any campsite I'd ever used had ones suitable for a hammock).

High winds make me nervous about falling branches and any rain means that nothing will ever dry out.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #29 on: 25 August, 2014, 05:56:29 pm »
I liked the idea of the original Helinox chair but discounted it as I want one that I can use inside the tent...........and then came along the Helinox Ground Chair.

It is comfy, easy to erect, can be used inside my tent without fear of damage to the ground sheet. The only downside is that getting in / out isn't particularly elegant.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/accessories-c10/camp-furniture-c126/helinox-ground-chair-p3160

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 02 September, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »
That looks better to me than the original, as there's less chance of a leg sinking into soft ground. 

But it's how much? :o :o :o
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 02 September, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »
There's also the Alite Mayfly chair which has similar groundsheet friendly legs and low height, and is a whole £9 cheaper.

I expect if you wait long enough, a rip-off version will appear on ebay.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 02 September, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »
I'll stick with my sitmat till my back gives out ;D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:05:09 pm »
Coleman Exponent was the winning stool (on weight and folding to a sensible length) when I looked into it a couple of years ago:

http://www.coleman.eu/UK/p-23311-exponent-stool.aspx

After many years of service, the fabric has become frayed on mine where it joins one of the legs and failure appears to be imminent.  I suspect in part because it wasn't rated for the additional load of a wriggly Nye on my lap.

I think I'm going to have to attempt Sewing.

« Reply #34 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:11:24 pm »
That sounds drastic! Good luck.

« Reply #35 on: 18 September, 2018, 09:13:49 am »
I use a Moon Lence chair.  WARNING  tea breaks take extra time as you don't want to get up, its too comfy.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=moon+lence+vs+helinox&view=detail&mid=CFD1D07491C1DB43098ECFD1D07491C1DB43098E&FORM=VIRE

About £25 if you shop round.  On my scales with bag, just under 1Kg.  Only issue is in soft ground you need somthing to spread the load on the ground as the legs are narrow and dig in.

« Reply #36 on: 18 September, 2018, 10:03:25 am »
I use a Moon Lence chair.  WARNING  tea breaks take extra time as you don't want to get up, its too comfy.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=moon+lence+vs+helinox&view=detail&mid=CFD1D07491C1DB43098ECFD1D07491C1DB43098E&FORM=VIRE

About £25 if you shop round.  On my scales with bag, just under 1Kg.  Only issue is in soft ground you need somthing to spread the load on the ground as the legs are narrow and dig in.

Amazon sell a base that stops similar chairs sinking. It fits my Helinox chairs and the Moon looks a similar size.

chair base

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:36:34 am »
Coleman Exponent was the winning stool (on weight and folding to a sensible length) when I looked into it a couple of years ago:

After many years of service, the fabric has become frayed on mine where it joins one of the legs and failure appears to be imminent.  I suspect in part because it wasn't rated for the additional load of a wriggly Nye on my lap.

And they don't make it anymore. Shame, because bearing the load of a wriggly Nye seems to be a good use for it! There is a Decathlon equivalent for a bargainacious £4 or so, but it seems a bit heavy at a whole kilo.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:14:51 pm »

And they don't make it anymore. Shame, because bearing the load of a wriggly Nye seems to be a good use for it!

Indeed.  It's also good for tending to a camping stove, where the Helinox style chairs have you teetering on the brink somewhat.  It's what I've tended to use when I've been spending more time on the bike than hanging around campsites, as it's much less weight/volume and comfortable enough for a couple of hours (in a way that the floor isn't, because knee).

There is a Decathlon equivalent for a bargainacious £4 or so, but it seems a bit heavy at a whole kilo.

That looks like the standard rigid-legged tripod arrangement.  The advantage of the Coleman is that the legs fold in half, making it significantly more pannier-friendly, as well as somewhat lighter.

« Reply #39 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:31:17 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »
https://www.lightningleisure.com/acatalog/Coleman-Exponent-Stool-130.html

3 available here at £15

Good spot!  I like it enough that it seems worth investing in a spare.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 20 September, 2018, 06:39:17 pm »

This seems to have been moderately successful.  I've fashioned a new seat out of medium-density cotton duck (tradeoff of tensile strength for ease of sewing and lower frayability), attached it to the frame and not yet given myself a horrible injury by bouncing and squirming around on it.

As I was reluctant to drill out the rivets, I sewed it to the holdy bits in situ.  Have you ever tried to feed fabric through a sewing machine with a stool attached to it?  Not easy.  As a result it looks mildly wonky (mostly down to the final leg not being as neat as the others because I couldn't see what I was doing), but that's not something you notice when sitting on it.

Will see how it goes.  If it doesn't show obvious signs of falling to bits after a field test, I might have another go, hand-stitching the leg attachments.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:20:57 pm »

For knees worth a Nye

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:22:59 pm »
Yeah, but is it BEAR-proof?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:58:15 pm »
The BEAR says it's not worth eating, but you can dance a tango on it.

hillbilly

« Reply #45 on: 24 September, 2018, 10:09:46 am »
Helinox has given me teh lusties.

What's the pack size?  I can't see it described on the Ultralight website?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 24 September, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »
https://www.helinox.com/outdoor/chairs gives the length and some photos of the pack, but not, it seems, the diameter.  In practice, since the poles and fabric separate while packing, there's scope for arranging them into different shapes for better pannier tetris.

« Reply #47 on: 22 October, 2018, 12:42:13 pm »
+1 for Helinox One

"Lightweight" in Outer hebrides last year

« Reply #48 on: 30 December, 2018, 09:42:04 pm »
https://www.helinox.com/outdoor/chairs gives the length and some photos of the pack, but not, it seems, the diameter.is.
Mine is about 32 x 13 x 13 cm

I would note that the Ground Chair is no longer listed on the Helinox website, though it's still widely available at present.
Anyone wanting a chair for in-tent use next summer, may be advised to act sooner rather than later, especially as the Alite Mayfly chair also seems to be mostly unavailable/out of stock

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #49 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:24:16 am »
+1 for Helinox One

"Lightweight" in Outer hebrides last year

That looks as though someone's got an attack of "I'll bloody well sit out here even if I freeze to death"-itis.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.