Author Topic: Projector recomendations  (Read 2331 times)

Projector recomendations
« on: 15 October, 2018, 05:18:22 pm »
I give the odd talk and after seeing a person have a complete fu** up of a talk due to the hired projector unable to read the memory stick I thought time to buy my own.

I have a budget of £250 and preferably less as I don't need it more than 3 or four times a year.

Thanks

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Projector recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2018, 06:26:07 pm »
Why would anyone expect a projector to read a memory stick? (I assume you mean a USB flash drive, rather than the Sony camera memory format from the 1990s.)  Surely SOP is to bring a computer with a VGA, DVI or HDMI output (Apple fanboys: bring your dongles), on which you've tested that your presentation and associated software works, and just plug it in, or to send your presentation to the organiser in some standard format in advance so they can make sure it works on their computer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2018, 07:44:22 pm »
Modern projectors do have a USB port but I only have an old projector.
Computers and projectors get updated so frequently it's difficult to keep up with all the adaptors needed.

I'd suggest you get something you KNOW speaks happily to your laptop and feed any shows through your lappie.

David and I have experienced multiple suboptimal shows and the Apple/Window$ crap is STILL an issue!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2018, 08:04:42 pm »
Having given loads of presentations on other people's projectors this would be my order of preference:

1) My own LED battery powered projector (much lighter than 2)
2) My own mains powered 'business' projector XGA
3) Theirs, but I'd take HDMI, VGA and DVI adaptors. And know quite well how to get differing signals out of my machine. Never had a failure yet, even though techies at venues have stuttered.

Things you need to be looking at in terms of spec

Brightness (depends on room size and whether you are giving talks in darkened rooms) Brighter is more expensive
Resolution (at least XGA (1024 x 768) More resolution is more expensive
LCD or DLP - DLP is a lot better now but some viewers can get a rainbow effect when moving their eyes
Weight - carrying the things about matters
Some keystone adjustment
Focus
Zoom if possible
Practice, again and again.

I'd never try and present off a memory stick, but I like flexibility.

Knowing your presentation software is at least as important as getting an image out of a projector!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2018, 08:11:44 pm »
The failed talk was due to the presentation being on a memory stick in .pptx which the lappie was unable to read.

Personally I take my info on open office, and .ppt and have both on disc and stick.

Thanks for the info so far.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2018, 09:05:45 pm »
Yes, a lot of projectors have a USB connection, or an SD card slot etc.
But they can be fussy about what sort of files they will actually read. ie they may only read particular types of files, and they may need to be a specific filename/folder structure etc.
Probably fine if you just want to view a few photos etc (though I have used an older projector that wouldn't display photos with a wide aspect ratio). But less likely to work with videos, or any sort of Powerpoint files etc.

If it is your own projector, then you could test it beforehand, and check it actually works as expected. But I wouldn't expect a USB stick to work in some other random projector.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2018, 09:07:30 pm »
Sounds like a useful feature if you want to set it going with a carefully crafted continuous slideshow for an exhibition or something, less so as a presentation tool.