Author Topic: Microchip cat flap recommendations  (Read 6924 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Microchip cat flap recommendations
« on: 26 October, 2014, 08:39:03 am »
That's it.  Any recommendations?

Anyone bought one brand and feels they wouldn't recommend it for any reason?

Do they work? 

Our cat was chipped by the vet.  It works with that, right?  How do you "tune" the cat flap to a cat's particular chip?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: Microchip cat flap recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2014, 08:53:06 am »
We have a PetPorte one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petsafe-Microchip-Petporte-Smart-White/dp/B003XLJ5DQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379882148&sr=8-2&keywords=pet+porte+cat+flap which has worked for some year.
New back door fitted this week which is white instead of brown so we needed a new flap to match. Programming them is easy before you fit them as you just press a couple of buttons on the door, then hold the reader over the cat until it beeps. Reprogramming when it situ is a little more difficult as it involves holding the cat under the reader, but we have managed.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2014, 08:58:58 am »
We have a PetPorte one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petsafe-Microchip-Petporte-Smart-White/dp/B003XLJ5DQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379882148&sr=8-2&keywords=pet+porte+cat+flap which has worked for some year.
New back door fitted this week which is white instead of brown so we needed a new flap to match. Programming them is easy before you fit them as you just press a couple of buttons on the door, then hold the reader over the cat until it beeps. Reprogramming when it situ is a little more difficult as it involves holding the cat under the reader, but we have managed.

Seconded - had this one built into our double glazed patio door for about 4 years now with no problem.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:18:41 am »
We have a Sureflap. It's designed to run on batteries so placement is more flexible. We have ours in the wall of the downstairs toilet where there is no mains socket nearby.

I have to declare my interest: Sureflap is owned and run by friends of mine. Please support this small independent company :).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:39:52 am »
We have a Petporte one, and it has been in use for several years. I installed it in a panel in our UPVC rear door. It works and our cat soon got used to using it.

It is powered via a mains adaptor, so you need to run the thin wire to the cat-flap. the wire is about 3 metres long with both ends moulded on, so may be a problem if you dont have a 13A socket nearby. There is a back-up battery, but the cat-flap soon runs it down.

One inconvenience with the Petporte is that it has a 'porch', which extends 6" out from the door, that houses the coil for detecting the microchip. this can get in the way if you have to move stuff through the door and can get knocked if passing the door with things like bikes and wheel barrows (Our back door is right next to the back gate so we have to be careful not to catch the cat-flap porch).
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2014, 10:09:00 am »
Pete and I are both very happy with his Sureflap.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2014, 10:35:51 am »
Thanks all.  I'll be looking at the Sureflap, as running power to that location would be a bit of a pain.

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2014, 11:05:07 am »
We have got a Sureflap, had it several years now.
The only problem I've ever had with it was not noticing the batteries were going a few months ago. Finally Simon noticed that the cats didn't seem to be able to get in, and realised why. They do bleep when the batteries are going, but if you use rechargeables this might not happen!
Rico was delighted with the new set of batteries :D

I previously owned the Pet Porte, but needing to keep it plugged in was a pain. My dog killed it coming in soaking wet through it frequently when he had been swimming in the pond. He doesn't fit through the Sureflap which is an advantage!

I am just about to have my front door replaced, and so am ordering a new Sureflap to go in it. I'm going to get the dual scan model because that can control who gets out as well as who gets in. It will stop the dog sticking his head out of the cat flap to bark at the postman!  :facepalm:

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2014, 11:35:52 am »
+1 for Sureflap.

ian

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
We have the Sureflap. It's our second, the first one did go all doorman on the cats and get sniffy about letting them in. But it had been subjected to four years of feline egress and ingress and the weather. That was fitted into a French door sealed unit and worked fine otherwise. We got a new one for this place, now sitting in the bottom panel of the back door. The winner is the batteries, I have a dislike of wires and wall warts. Batteries do last several months but, yes, glance at the LED every now and again to check. Otherwise the cats tend to remind you noisily of their own accord. To programme it, you just hold the button to activate the remember feature and eject a cat through it.

All said, I'd get myself chipped and get a door-sized one for people. Save me standing in the rain sorting through four identical-feeling keys to get in.

« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2014, 12:59:31 pm »
I've recently installed the Staywell Petporte, so far it is working well. Looking at the build quality, it appears to be sensible with decent solenoids. Physical construction is good, with M8 bolts to clamp inner and outer, or a screw to inside/outside option (which is what I have, going through a wall). Programming options are good, including extending or reducing the open time (needed if you have a scardy cat like ours, who sits looking wondering if something nasty is going to happen inside) combined with a reasonably sensitive outer sensor. On the less good side, I'm not impressed with the quality of the power supply, which runs warm -I'm considering swapping out for a switching supply modded from an old phone charger.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2014, 02:18:23 pm »
All said, I'd get myself chipped and get a door-sized one for people. Save me standing in the rain sorting through four identical-feeling keys to get in.
You could try adorning the relevant keys with stickers or nail polish.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2014, 02:21:19 pm »
I want remote locking like on a car. At least, I've been known to try unlocking the front door by aiming the car key at it and pressing the button :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »
I've tried to call the lift at work by waving my security pass at the button.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2014, 04:38:17 pm »

Well, yes, I could. I could also issue the cats with back door keys and a small ladder. But I think far easier to replace all my doors with giant versions of a electronic cat flap and have myself turned into microchip-coded cyborg.

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2014, 05:05:31 am »
Unfortunately I can't find a clip of Lenny Henry's rant in favour of the Manflap - "Why is it cat's get all the flaps?"

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2014, 08:40:15 am »
Interesting stuff, thanks for all the info. We were thinking of investing in such a device once we get Barry and Isabella chipped. They're a bit little at the moment.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2014, 10:21:01 am »

Well, yes, I could. I could also issue the cats with back door keys and a small ladder. But I think far easier to replace all my doors with giant versions of a electronic cat flap and have myself turned into microchip-coded cyborg.

YA kevin Warwick AICMFP.  Also know as "Captain Cyborg" by those naughty types at El Reg.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: 01 November, 2014, 10:35:50 am »
Unfortunately I can't find a clip of Lenny Henry's rant in favour of the Manflap - "Why is it cat's get all the flaps?"

[fu]
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6822.10;wap2

-->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd6CqB144JA
[/fu]

Should be somewhere in there...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #19 on: 01 November, 2014, 12:40:12 pm »
Oh, if you insist... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXkxXDT1-F8

Not quite the clip I remember, section starts at 20 seconds

Oh, and

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #20 on: 03 November, 2014, 04:42:30 pm »
Ok, just installed the Sure Flap.  I had also bought the mounting plate, thinking that I might need it.  I didn't. So if anyone is about to buy one, there's a free one here, unopened.  It's quite a large box from Amazon, so you'd have to stump up the postage.  But that would still be cheaper than buying one.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #21 on: 30 May, 2016, 03:53:36 pm »
We've just bought a SureFlap Dualscan model as a local moggie has been getting into the house lately.  Since Barry the Cat got run over a few weeks back  :'( we only have his sister Isabella now but there are plans to get another kitten in the autumn so the ability to keep a cat in whilst allowing another free movement could be handy.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #22 on: 30 May, 2016, 09:43:55 pm »
We have a Staywell one, which is generally ok but every few weeks I have to dismantle it and fiddle with the spring that puts the catch back in place after a cat has come in (i.e the one that keeps the ginger bastard down the road out).  That may be down to our two being complete idiots spending ages going in and out for the sake of it!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 01 January, 2024, 12:47:15 pm »
An older lady of my acquaintance is looking for a door-flap for her microchipped cat to exclude a neighbourhood cat. The new flap will replace an existing dumb door-flap. Any recommendations or traps for the unwary player (size incompatibilities?) or just order something at random?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24 on: 01 January, 2024, 02:06:33 pm »
Do check the size. When our back door was replaced, the double glazing people fitted a dumb cat flap. No problem we thought, we'll just replace it with the already acquired smart one. The were different sizes, which probably removed the profit margin on the job, particularly seeing we had specified that we would be providing the flap and it was even on the work order the fitter was using.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."