Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 78583 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #500 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:01:30 pm »
Good thing that pandemic's over and it's now okay to greet your friend you haven't seen for a while with manly hugs in the supermarket...   :facepalm:

Most people seem to have given up on face covering, too.
I only wore mine for the first time today! I was the only customer in the Co-op who did, but then there were only about four in total.

I did see my neighbour in there, but she's definitely not someone I'd give manly hugs even at the best of times.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #501 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:05:19 pm »
Good thing that pandemic's over and it's now okay to greet your friend you haven't seen for a while with manly hugs in the supermarket...   :facepalm:

I only wore mine for the first time today! I was the only customer in the Co-op who did, but then there were only about four in total.

I did see my neighbour in there, but she's definitely not someone I'd give manly hugs even at the best of times.

Same here, didn't see anyone wearing a mask on my trip to the supermarket and back.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #502 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:12:02 pm »

Same here, didn't see anyone wearing a mask on my trip to the supermarket and back.

J

Just about everyone we saw had them in Super U on Tuesday, ditto Aldi except one bloke who had his tucked under his chin.  In the pharmacy they've given up on them and switched to acetate visors because they were getting headaches.

BTW, you know how you're supposed to ram your face into the crook of your elbow when you sneeze or cough? Must be interesting with a visor on.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #503 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:15:16 pm »
What sort of masks were the pharmacists using? Cos a few shops here (actually I can only think of two, the bakery and a greengrocers) have issued their staff with those visors and the bakery staff were complaining about how difficult they are in the heat.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #504 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:51:24 pm »
I've given away a bicycle!
I’ve given away two of late. Suzy’s Dolce went somewhere it’ll get used, and a passable 700c hybrid went to a single mum so she could go out cycling with her kids.

O:-)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #505 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:26:59 pm »
I've given away a bicycle!
I’ve given away two of late. Suzy’s Dolce went somewhere it’ll get used, and a passable 700c hybrid went to a single mum so she could go out cycling with her kids.

O:-)

I used one in part-payment for some fence panels, fitted by a neighbour who is short of work, who also want to go out with his kids.

A courier called a short while ago, delivering 8 bottles of Fullers 1845 ale direct from their online shop, as a thank-you for the bicycle.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #506 on: 22 May, 2020, 04:27:27 pm »
I loaned a front brake and got a crap bike back with the front brake attached to in return about a month later when they got a new bike. Pedals off crap bike are on my fast road bike which is on loan with a mate who doesn't use clip less pedals and thr front brakes on my eldest monkeys bike as hers broke. Rest of the bike went in the metal skip

« Reply #507 on: 22 May, 2020, 04:36:37 pm »
I went to the local health food / green shop today, for muesli ingredients.  I noted whilst waiting outside (only 2 inside at a time - minor grumble, it was a couple and she was just wandering about looking at things) that they had hand sanitizer with 70% grain alcohol content. I got my turn, and went to the wall dispensers for oats. A sign said to use hand sanitizer first.  I looked about but saw non of the gel, so asked, and was directed to a trigger spray bottle of “sanitizer - kills 99.9% of germs - contains no alcohol” stuff. I used it, but commented that “that won’t work”. “Read the label” said she (the owner).  I said, yes, it’ll (maybe) kill bacteria, but it probably won’t kill a virus.  I was not popular.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #508 on: 22 May, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
From what I recall of The People Here Who Know saying, even 70% alcohol isn't enough, it needs to be about 80%. Or maybe I'm misremembering?

Ed: Surgical spirit is widely available. Presumably that should do it. Perhaps not too kind on your skin in regular use though.

« Reply #509 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:02:50 pm »
Today, I used Tesco Click & Collect For the first time. It was brilliant. No queue whatsoever (the store had a 50+ person queue). Opened the boot and they loaded it in for me. Only 2 items out of stock. I’d asked for no substitutes and that was noted. However a picking error meant I did get my 3 tins of peach slices in juice - Del Monte instead of own brand. Now to try and secure another slot in 3-4 weeks time. Even if it’s a late evening one. Weekly fresh shop will still be M&S and farm shop. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #510 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:51:18 pm »
From what I recall of The People Here Who Know saying, even 70% alcohol isn't enough, it needs to be about 80%. Or maybe I'm misremembering?

Ed: Surgical spirit is widely available. Presumably that should do it. Perhaps not too kind on your skin in regular use though.

The figure of 60% was doing the rounds some weeks ago as I recall commenting that Abelour A'Bunadh single malt would work. Better than swallowing bleach or taking a torch up your arse anyway.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #511 on: 22 May, 2020, 07:14:59 pm »
Forgot to say yesterday:-

Fast action dried yeast! In Mr Sainsbury's Small Local House Of Toothy Comestibles!

I now have everything I need to do some baking. Cinnamon buns are going to be first up tomorrow (https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cinnamon_buns_10634)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #512 on: 26 May, 2020, 06:45:05 am »
Quick trip into Ely yesterday to Wilko's. Ely residents seem very conservative stood outside the shop, even when 2m spacings are taped on the pavement, not quite so good inside. I was wearing a mask myself, need to find a better fit though as it was really chafing behind one ear. Saw a total of thee other people wearing masks.

Maybe everyone in Ely simply suffers from exceptional circumstances.

Of all that I was trying to find, got everything g except 75mm screws.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #513 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:19:21 am »
Yes, it's noticeable around here that a large number of the new cyclists ride on the pavements, while a similar percentage of new walkers occupy the middle of the roads and avoid the pavements - not, I think, because of the cyclists but because they think there won't be any traffic.

On a slightly different tack, there has been much talk and understandable, if opportunistic, exhortation about "pop-up" cycle facilities and improvements to cycle routes while the traffic was/is less intense.  Has anyone seen any single piece of evidence of this kind of thing happening - anywhere?

It's happened in a couple of London boroughs that I'm aware of.

There was the promise from the government of money for local authorities to facilitate these changes.... but, surprise, surprise, nowt has been forthcoming from Whitehall.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #514 on: 26 May, 2020, 08:49:55 am »
Was crossing York's Millennium Bridge yesterday.  Crowd density was getting like a rock festival.  Lots of gardenless houses nearby.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #515 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:45:25 am »
Was crossing York's Millennium Bridge yesterday.  Crowd density was getting like a rock festival.  Lots of gardenless houses nearby.

Yup, it's been like that every sunny day for the past couple of weeks. Not easy to socially distance on the bridge itself, definitely.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #516 on: 26 May, 2020, 12:52:36 pm »
Cardiff has initiated a new cycle lane in front of the Castle; it looks very temporary - a line of cones, and temporary blue/pedestrian cycling signs. An older couple were coming the wrong way' down the lane. They might still paint a pedestrian on the pavement bit and a squashed bicycle on the road - it's a start at least.

I can cycle across Cardiff in bus lanes and pretend it's 1960 ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #517 on: 26 May, 2020, 01:09:16 pm »
We've just had a town turnout for a luminary who died a week ago. Main street lined, the Silver Band playing, applause as his hearse stopped outside his shop.

Far more than will be able to be at the graveside.
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #518 on: 26 May, 2020, 04:06:17 pm »

I think the supermarkets may still be getting the hang of their stock control, just been to AH and noticed a lot of stuff is on offer, esp preserved stuff in jars. Annoyingly they had already sold out of the pickled beetroot I was actually looking to buy.

On the plus side, saved me nearly 20% off my shop.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #519 on: 27 May, 2020, 08:25:19 am »
I think the supermarkets may still be getting the hang of their stock control

It's noticeable in my local Tesco that they have rationalised the range in some sections, so eg instead of 20 different types of spaghetti, you have huge quantities of just one type.

The tinned soups and beans are also notably abundant.

It's like they've worked out it's better to give people what they actually want rather than trying to sell them the myth of choice.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #520 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:29:14 am »
Yeah, most choice is in fact 'faux choice.' I read an article years ago about the fact that so many of these different brands were basically all made in the same factories with minimal recipe/industrial process changes. The vaunted choice of the local giant supermarket is actually not that much more than a modest high street shop. The shelf space in a bigger store is taken up with brands of the same products. We're just buying our favourite packaging.

I remember when I moved to the US – the cavernous local Big Y had a huge aisle, probably long enough to land the Space Shuttle down, completely dedicated to bagels. US bagels aren't edible, unless fresh, they're just some kind of vulcanized bread-derived product that make a reasonable hockey puck replacement.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #521 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:45:19 am »
I think the supermarkets may still be getting the hang of their stock control

It's noticeable in my local Tesco that they have rationalised the range in some sections, so eg instead of 20 different types of spaghetti, you have huge quantities of just one type.

The tinned soups and beans are also notably abundant.

It's like they've worked out it's better to give people what they actually want rather than trying to sell them the myth of choice.

I understand that Tesco rationalised sausages from 64 options to "just" 15 at the start of the mad buying crisis.

Rob

« Reply #522 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:54:39 am »
Yeah, most choice is in fact 'faux choice.' I read an article years ago about the fact that so many of these different brands were basically all made in the same factories with minimal recipe/industrial process changes. The vaunted choice of the local giant supermarket is actually not that much more than a modest high street shop. The shelf space in a bigger store is taken up with brands of the same products. We're just buying our favourite packaging.

I'm in this business.
Sometimes, you're buying exactly the same. Tesco Wine Route = Isla Negra.
If there's a recipe, you're not. 'Brand' recipes are licensed. They're made in the same factory, but the recipe is different. If there is any way to make it cheaper, it will be. Even the difference between Haywards Pickled Onions and Morrison's pickled onions. The spec for the onions is wider, the recipe is cheaper (more syrup, less sugar, more water, less vinegar) and the spice mix is much cheaper- usually through flavour chemicals rather than actual spices. All the packaging is cheaper, cheaper glass, cheaper (less branding) closures, fewer colours in the labels, more generic cases.
Don't get me wrong, I'm always pushing Mr Smith to buy Malt Wheats rather than Shreddies, but I'm not kidding myself they are the same. They very rarely are, as soon as there's any processing. I have no idea why anyone buys Bero flour, though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #523 on: 27 May, 2020, 10:03:49 am »
Hadn't heard of Bero flour. Someone on ebay is selling 1.1kg for £4.29.  :o

I understand that Tesco rationalised sausages from 64 options to "just" 15 at the start of the mad buying crisis.

Rob
Appropriate phrase.

The vaunted choice of the local giant supermarket is actually not that much more than a modest high street shop.
Which also has (to me) a much more pleasant, less intimidating/scary (in this fear-filled times) atmosphere. As well as being so much quicker to shop in and get to.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #524 on: 27 May, 2020, 10:38:05 am »

I'm in this business.
Sometimes, you're buying exactly the same. Tesco Wine Route = Isla Negra.
If there's a recipe, you're not. 'Brand' recipes are licensed. They're made in the same factory, but the recipe is different. If there is any way to make it cheaper, it will be. Even the difference between Haywards Pickled Onions and Morrison's pickled onions. The spec for the onions is wider, the recipe is cheaper (more syrup, less sugar, more water, less vinegar) and the spice mix is much cheaper- usually through flavour chemicals rather than actual spices. All the packaging is cheaper, cheaper glass, cheaper (less branding) closures, fewer colours in the labels, more generic cases.
Don't get me wrong, I'm always pushing Mr Smith to buy Malt Wheats rather than Shreddies, but I'm not kidding myself they are the same. They very rarely are, as soon as there's any processing. I have no idea why anyone buys Bero flour, though.

This reminds me of the day I compared the ingredients and traffic lights on a tine of Morrisons "Reduced Salt" Baked beans with a tin of normal Heinz.
It should be no surprise that the Morrisons Beans had twice as much salt in it as the Heinz.

Which leads into the "worse options easier to buy for less money" stuff