Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 227414 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1125 on: 08 October, 2019, 10:59:27 pm »
And the band looked like they were having a good time  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1126 on: 09 October, 2019, 12:39:48 am »
Los Pacaminos at the Oktoberfest in Worthing. Great band, shit venue.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1127 on: 17 October, 2019, 01:38:32 pm »
Divine Comedy in Brighton. Jolly good!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1128 on: 17 October, 2019, 03:14:48 pm »

Did they do Queuejumper?  Always reminds me of cycle commuting!
The sound of one pannier flapping

rob

« Reply #1129 on: 17 October, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »

Mrs Rob and Rob junior going tonight.   They seem to have managed to get on the guestlist.

« Reply #1130 on: 17 October, 2019, 04:41:55 pm »

Mrs Rob and Rob junior going tonight.   They seem to have managed to get on the guestlist.

The classiest form of queuejumping  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1131 on: 21 October, 2019, 03:21:46 pm »
Don't bloody test my memory! They might have sung it. Did lots of songs. Good evening, so it was.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rob

« Reply #1132 on: 21 October, 2019, 03:35:30 pm »
Don't bloody test my memory! They might have sung it. Did lots of songs. Good evening, so it was.

According my son it was the second song at Hammersmith.

He mainly went to sing along to national express.

« Reply #1133 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:30:04 am »
Amanda Palmer in Cambridge.

Not a traditional music gig. Half a standup routine, half a music number, half a life story on stage. Yes, that's too many halves, but then she is a big personality, with a big voice.

Took me a minute to realise that when she strolled through the audience singing, she wasn't miked up. Bloody hell, that is a set of lungs. Filled the venue with sound.

Well worth seeing. Not everyone's cup of tea, some quite gut wrenching stories, there were people weeping throughout.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1134 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:32:15 am »
Black Mountain at Audio in Glasgow.  Its a small venue and I knew they'd be loud, but...   The vocals were incredibly loud, distorted and reverberating. Much more than the keyboard/drums/guitars.  I got to not looking forward to choruses so left early.  Bit of a shame as apart from the vocals they pretty good.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1135 on: 24 October, 2019, 08:57:20 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1136 on: 25 October, 2019, 09:47:03 am »
The London 6-day racing last night, with Cavendish, Ewan and several other fairly fast folk going round in circles at speed. It is just entertainment after all.

Are they using traditional stinky dernies or are they electric nowadays with fake noise? The dernies looked and sounded the part but I couldn't smell them like I could in Ghent.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #1137 on: 25 October, 2019, 07:54:06 pm »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-divine-comedy/2019/brighton-dome-brighton-england-1b9dfd18.html

Live streamed gig on at the moment.  Need to go via the Facebook or twitter feed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1138 on: 30 October, 2019, 01:42:38 am »
Robyn Hitchcock at the Union Chapel, aided and abetted by former Soft Boys Morris Windsor and Kimberley Rew (who has traded his De-Luxe Merseybeat Wig for the Scarecrow look), plus Ruby Wright on saws.  Yes, you did read that right.  Grip the handle of a saw between the knees and scrape the edge of the blade with a violin bow, bend blade to vary pitch and voila: cut-price theremin.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1139 on: 31 October, 2019, 10:54:29 pm »
Another lovely evening with the RLPO, soloist was Alexandra Dariescu playing the Grieg Piano Concerto.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIXsVhBzKw

Off to Manchester tomorrow night for Hiromi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIYIAuwzsGQ
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1140 on: 15 November, 2019, 10:22:26 pm »
A group of the Locrian Ensemble who visited Southend today. Mozart Piano Quartet K478, Bridge Phantasy in F# minor and, after the interval, Schubert's Trout Quintet. I just love this last piece and they played it beautifully.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1141 on: 15 November, 2019, 11:25:43 pm »
Amanda Palmer in Cambridge.

Not a traditional music gig. Half a standup routine, half a music number, half a life story on stage. Yes, that's too many halves, but then she is a big personality, with a big voice.

Took me a minute to realise that when she strolled through the audience singing, she wasn't miked up. Bloody hell, that is a set of lungs. Filled the venue with sound.

Well worth seeing. Not everyone's cup of tea, some quite gut wrenching stories, there were people weeping throughout.

I saw her in York.  She chucked out her scripted life story thing and did a request set  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get Divine Comedy tickets so Family Rob has one over on me there.

« Reply #1142 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:39:50 pm »
Johnathan Pie in Glasgow. I really like his shorter videos and although the longer gig was good, it never reached the same levels as the videos. 

« Reply #1143 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:44:25 pm »
The Cure. Manchester Apollo 1984.
often lost.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1144 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:58:46 pm »
Johnathan Pie in Glasgow. I really like his shorter videos and although the longer gig was good, it never reached the same levels as the videos. 
We're going to see him tomorrow
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1145 on: 16 November, 2019, 11:24:57 pm »
Natacha Atlas at the Capstone in Liverpool.  Superb backing band, but she seemed to be going through the motions.  :(     She said they'd had a hellish road trip from London to Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krVGXoRhSLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68sYEPWiOLs&feature=youtu.be

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1146 on: 17 November, 2019, 07:20:54 pm »
Spectacular Classics concert at royal concert hall in Glasgow. It was superb

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1147 on: 24 November, 2019, 10:49:44 am »
A friend took me to see Lucy Ward last night. Previously unknown to me, she’s a folk singer from Derby. It was delightful that she played on the stage in the school she left 10 years ago, and was introduced by a teacher who was obviously very proud of her.

It was the folksiest gig I’ve ever been to, but that’s not saying much. I really enjoyed it on the whole. A couple of songs didn’t suit me (I just don’t like ‘Jolene’), but the rest were very good. Two songs stood out: Velvet Sky and Sunshine Child, the latter had me crying in moments.

It was a very pleasing new experience. If you like your music thoughtful but unfussy, and performed by a clever, disarming woman with a voice as clean as a whistle, keep an ear out for her.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #1148 on: 24 November, 2019, 11:34:25 am »
Fat White Family at the Boiler Shop in the Toon.

Very tight band with a charismatic frontman in the Jagger/Iggy Pop mould. Half the songs were 'hair standing up on the back of the neck' standard and the other half were utter shite. Low point was when five of the band left the stage for 'refreshments*' leaving a guitar and flute combo to perform a dirge that sucked all the energy from the room.

When the rest of the band returned, re-energised*, to the stage they should have taken the opportunity to lift us back up with a belter but instead gradually built to a crescendo through the second half of the gig.

They didn't play 'Breaking into Aldi' which was a shame as it's a classic modern punk song.

Didn't stay for the encore. 5/10

*apparently they're all clean now so it would just have been a Red Bull or similar
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1149 on: 24 November, 2019, 12:41:23 pm »
The Laurence Jones Band at Oslo in darkest Hackney.  Fine blues-rock Stuffs from Mr Jones and his girly-pink Strat.  He has acquired a backing singer since last I saw him; the unfortunate Abby being squeezed into a tiny corner next to the drummer where her exuberant style threatened to bring things crashing down on his head.  Obligatory hipster on (5-string) bass and a keyboard player who is the spitting image of TV's Simon Banton - rr will know who I mean - if he has a time machine.

Strict 10 pm curfew at the venue so the buggers switched off all the lights when Mr Jones tried to do a second encore :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime